PDA

View Full Version : 3SGTE into 7th Gen?

supra97
12-13-2008, 10:43 PM
So the GT-Four I wanted didn't work out, but I'm now looking at another option.

You can pick up the 3SGTE engine on Ebay for a grand and change, and I know of a 7th gen that's been sitting for a while because the guy blew the motor. God knows how, but he did. I don't know what shape the tranny is in yet.

My question is whether or not I can put a 3SGTE into a 7th gen and would it be worth the effort and money? My second question is where and for how much could I get an engine out of a 7th gen?

supra97
12-13-2008, 10:51 PM
To add... I can probably get the 7th gen for a thousand bucks.

T-spoon
12-13-2008, 10:53 PM
It'd be a FAR easier swap into a 5th or 6th gen GT (or GTS up there in Canadia). I bet you could get a good rolling chassis of either gen for 1000 if you look around. That's what I'd do. It can be done in the 7th gen, and has been, but it's going to be more complicated and expensive.

burnyd
12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
just do a 2zzge swap, its not going to be similar in power but it will be a fun car to drive and has a ton of potential...or a second option would be to marry me, I will then purchase this car for you and swap a 3sgte in it for you.... you have your options.

T-spoon
12-13-2008, 11:39 PM
just do a 2zzge swap, its not going to be similar in power but it will be a fun car to drive and has a ton of potential...or a second option would be to marry me, I will then purchase this car for you and swap a 3sgte in it for you.... you have your options.

Ew forget that. If you wanted to do a 2zzge swap.. you'd just get an MRS...

burnyd
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
^^ I would have to agree with you there, its really a shame those cars did not come to america with a 2zz in them

T-spoon
12-14-2008, 12:26 AM
^^ I would have to agree with you there, its really a shame those cars did not come to america with a 2zz in them

Yeah, let me tell you, if our MRS had a 2ZZ I'm not sure my wife would be driving a Yaris right now.. (actually.. hopefully we'd have still made the smart decision, but it would have been even harder! :hehe: )

burnyd
12-14-2008, 01:10 AM
^^ That is a swap I have been kinda pondering a bit.... I have seen some vids of it but never really looked into it too much.. Im assuming there very similar.. I just wonder if theres a write up just to see all in all whats involved in swapping a 1zz out of a mr-s and putting in a celica 2zz.... also are all mr-s's sequential trannys or can you get a actual third pedal.... hrrmmm I must look into this!

T-spoon
12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Lots of them were 5 speed, ours was (02 model). Actually, they had a great shift feel, the best of the cars I've driven second only to the Getrag. The swap has been done and documented. I looked into it a bit but decided not to. I'm pretty sure there's still good info on Spyderchat from a few folks that do it. I'm thinking there's also someone that fabs the bracket to make it a very simple swap over to have the 6speed, kind of the opposite of what folks here do to use the MR2 tranny on the Celica.

vip09
12-14-2008, 02:40 AM
So the GT-Four I wanted didn't work out, but I'm now looking at another option.

You can pick up the 3SGTE engine on Ebay for a grand and change, and I know of a 7th gen that's been sitting for a while because the guy blew the motor. God knows how, but he did. I don't know what shape the tranny is in yet.

My question is whether or not I can put a 3SGTE into a 7th gen and would it be worth the effort and money? My second question is where and for how much could I get an engine out of a 7th gen?

It is a complete waste to swap the 3S-GTE into a 7th gen celica. The 2ZZ-GE that comes in the car from the factory is WAY more efficient than the 3S-GTE, not to mention the 3S-GTE weighs more than two 2ZZ-GE's combined.

A stock 3sgte swap into a 7th gen would be about the same as a stock 2ZZ-GE in the 7th gen. There are several 2ZZ-GE's over the 500whp mark now. There is no reason to swap the 3S-GTE into that car.

Murgatroy
12-14-2008, 06:05 AM
It is a complete waste to swap the 3S-GTE into a 7th gen celica. The 2ZZ-GE that comes in the car from the factory is WAY more efficient than the 3S-GTE, not to mention the 3S-GTE weighs more than two 2ZZ-GE's combined.

A stock 3sgte swap into a 7th gen would be about the same as a stock 2ZZ-GE in the 7th gen. There are several 2ZZ-GE's over the 500whp mark now. There is no reason to swap the 3S-GTE into that car.
:stupid:

The 3SGTE is the better option for S engine equipped cars. The 2ZZ seems to be a decent enough engine with plenty of aftermarket support to achieve anything you could with a 3SGTE..

Plus you run into a lot of issues emissions wise installing an older engine into a newer car. I know that down on this side of the border, you can't install an engine that predates the chassis in several states.

vip09
12-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Not to mention the weight of the 3S-GTE on the front of the car would change the weight distribution of the car dramatically.

supra97
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Okay so I guess the next questions is how much would a 2ZZGE go for typically? I want to look at things cost-wise now so I know if it's worth it or not.

supra97
12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
And burnyd...I apologise but my fiance wouldn't agree to me marrying you!

vip09
12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay so I guess the next questions is how much would a 2ZZGE go for typically? I want to look at things cost-wise now so I know if it's worth it or not.

They are generally anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on mileage, etc. A low mileage 3sgte with transmission would be about the same, then you would need custom engine/transmission mounts fabricated, custom exhaust, pretty much custom everything. It would start adding up quick unless you are in the fabrication business.

And then you would just end up slower than a stock 2zz-ge unless you spend some money on an intercooler and boost controller, etc. And then the 3s-gte maintenance begins... :wiggle:

supra97
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I understand. Well apparently the guy wants more for the body now because he still owes money on the car and I don't want to wait to get a car any longer. I'll most likely be getting an MR2 that I was going to buy last summer and the guy still has. Just been looking at all the options.

Soon it'll be the Supra too....:)

cms-gt4
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
How about putting a v6 into a 7th gen. :ohnoes:

vip09
12-14-2008, 11:25 PM
How about putting a v6 into a 7th gen. :ohnoes:

It's never been done that I know of. There's not much room in the engine bay though.

There is one person at newcelica.org that has swapped a 2JZ-GTE in. It involved serious modification to the engine bay.

v3
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
The swap was a 1JZ with RWD conversion IIRC, but its not finished so you can't really count it.

supra97
12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Wooo that will be a quick car.

Shadowlife25
12-15-2008, 01:57 AM
a second option would be to marry me, I will then purchase this car for you and swap a 3sgte in it for you.... you have your options.

I knew your GF was fake! :p

vip09
12-15-2008, 02:47 AM
The swap was a 1JZ with RWD conversion IIRC, but its not finished so you can't really count it.

Ahh thanks for clarifying. That's still a crazy swap!