PDA

View Full Version : New to the board

theorhetoric
12-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi there.. Just stopping to introduce myself.. on my second Celica 86 st161 coupe.
former owner of a 87 Hatchback and an 87 Mr2

lovin the posts and all the info keep up the good work!

know there isn't much performance wise to be done to my engine but anything I don't know would be appreciated

http://a556.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/57/l_0d6ef76a201782530811d54c106b5aa3.jpg

old pic of my odometer

http://a870.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/l_3ceb7eeeb38053c95532a3feab9709fd.jpg

Freshnicity
12-13-2008, 04:39 AM
welcome to Ctech..im new here too, but wanted to say hello lol

Great board, stick around

burnyd
12-13-2008, 05:43 AM
hiya

Shadowlife25
12-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Hai :D

CriScO
12-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

lburner
12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
bienvenue au ctech

theorhetoric
12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Thanks.. Shouldn't have too many considering I have been working on these mid 80's Toys for close to 10 years now. In fact I'm hoping to be able to answer some questions! At one point I was able to get the engine out of an mk1 mr2 in under 2 hours.. Love the access to BGB here tho! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that.

theorhetoric
12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
actually I do have 1..

anybody know how to recalibrate the speedometer?

running 1st gen Mr2 rims which are 14's instead of 13 so it is about 7-10 mph off..

extremeskillz
12-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Welcome man and nice ride!

T-spoon
12-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Hmm, isn't it just driven by a gear in the tranny? To change that I'd think you'd need a speedo gear from a different car. The gauge itself changing needle position wouldn't do anything useful, cause it will be a different number of MPH off at each indication point.

theorhetoric
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Hmm, isn't it just driven by a gear in the tranny? To change that I'd think you'd need a speedo gear from a different car. The gauge itself changing needle position wouldn't do anything useful, cause it will be a different number of MPH off at each indication point.

it is.. just curious which one I would need..

thanks for the welcome comments and the compliments.. I have had her for about 5 years now and have replaced most of the front end mechanicals (trans, axels, balljoints, tierods, struts)wish I had a lil more power but I have the only year they put the 2se in them hence the st161 :(

also have a problem with the temperature control.. anyone know where the flap that controls the mix of hot and cold air is? I need to either fix the servo that is attached to it or hook a cable to it..currently I have to either drive in reverse and hit the brakes or take off quickly from a stoplight to make this flap flop over to hot air..

T-spoon
12-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Heh, funny you should mention that. I have the exact same problem in my 88 165. I don't know that the system is going to be identical though so yours may not be in the same location. Mine is on the underside of the center console. I have to get a light and reach in between the carpet and the bottom of the ducting and pull or push the rod to select between hot and cold. Not that big a deal for me as I simply move it to heat for the winter and close it for the summer and it stays put where I set it. With any luck that's where the 161's is also since that's relatively easy to get to without taking any panels off, but again, I don't know.

About the speedo, wouldn't it be easier to just change your tire size to keep the same ratio? Unfortunately I don't know what other gear would screw in and work, since I don't really have any idea which tranny they used with a 2se.. you'd just want one that was meant to be used with a given tire/wheel size that you want to use if you don't want to lose sidewall.

theorhetoric
12-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Heh, funny you should mention that. I have the exact same problem in my 88 165. I don't know that the system is going to be identical though so yours may not be in the same location. Mine is on the underside of the center console. I have to get a light and reach in between the carpet and the bottom of the ducting and pull or push the rod to select between hot and cold. Not that big a deal for me as I simply move it to heat for the winter and close it for the summer and it stays put where I set it. With any luck that's where the 161's is also since that's relatively easy to get to without taking any panels off, but again, I don't know.

About the speedo, wouldn't it be easier to just change your tire size to keep the same ratio? Unfortunately I don't know what other gear would screw in and work, since I don't really have any idea which tranny they used with a 2se.. you'd just want one that was meant to be used with a given tire/wheel size that you want to use if you don't want to lose sidewall.

Yeah it proally would be easier to change the tire size but I know how much it is off and my Tom Tom has an accurate speedo so I am not worried about it..

as for the climate controls..Thanxs for the idea I am gonna try it in a few...just one quick question. does yours have the electronic or the manual climate control? if it is electronic it should be the same..

T-spoon
12-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Electronic - oh, and I forgot to mention, I access it from the passenger side, though I'm sure you'd figure it out either way, heh

theorhetoric
12-14-2008, 12:54 AM
I JUST FOUND IT!! I really can't thank you enough!! that damn thing has been bugging me for years!!!!

Long Live Celicatech!!!

oh and where is the disscussion for next years dragon run? I'm thinking of attending considering it is only a 3 hour drive up the same highway that the dragon run is held on.

T-spoon
12-14-2008, 01:16 AM
No problem, I can live without AC, but I can't live without being able to defog the windows :hehe:

Dragon run 09 Here:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37858

Cavanagh
12-14-2008, 03:18 AM
What's up? Welcome!

Ryan
12-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Welcome to ctech!

celicaGT90_05
12-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Welcome to the site!

About the speedo, you may recalibrate it by changing the speed gear that plugs into the tranny (I dont beleive the drive gear matters). However, in order to have the proper speed gear its a matter of calculation of tire sizes and what not, I can't remember what all it requires at this time. Unless you are planning on making your current tire size permanent, use the Toyota specified tire size and it should read accurately. Keep in mind that as tires wear the speed will be thrown off by a couple MPH gradually.

Also if you are looking to change the driven speed gear, you will loose some tranny fluid, so just be prepared for that.

Other than that, car looks great! Any plans as of yet?

theorhetoric
12-14-2008, 03:19 PM
PLans? at the moment just keeping her running till she is over 25.. and maybe eventually turning her into a sleeper.. 3sgte swap maybe?

theorhetoric
12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the site!

About the speedo, you may recalibrate it by changing the speed gear that plugs into the tranny (I dont beleive the drive gear matters). However, in order to have the proper speed gear its a matter of calculation of tire sizes and what not, I can't remember what all it requires at this time. Unless you are planning on making your current tire size permanent, use the Toyota specified tire size and it should read accurately. Keep in mind that as tires wear the speed will be thrown off by a couple MPH gradually.

Also if you are looking to change the driven speed gear, you will loose some tranny fluid, so just be prepared for that.

Other than that, car looks great! Any plans as of yet?

I am currently running 185/60/14 at the moment..the toyota spec is 205/60/14 for the GTS according to the door panel..since this is a gt I'm sure it had 13's on it at some point.

Okctrd
12-16-2008, 10:57 PM
welcome to ctech!

mr2trd3
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
welcome! nice collection of 80s Toyota cars. I especially love me an AW11. I can't see your pictures now (at work) but will return to check them out.