PDA

View Full Version : Newb

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Hi,
I am only 13 years old and i have been looking at CelicaTech for about 6 months now and have found out a lot of good information about my car. It is a '90 celica STX. It took me about a year to finally convince my dad to let me buy a car with my own money. He has about 15 cars including a 1968 chevelle ss , '64 chevelle, '65 biscayne, '65 chevelle ,'67 chevelle, '72 cutlass, '76 el camino, '69 lincoln mark 3, and a 1996 buick roadmaster lt1. Anyways, he has let me do a few mods to it like a header, exhaust, and wheels and tires. Some pics are in my garage area.I want more power for when i turn 16 without doing a swap or turboing it. i was thinking cams, headwork, throttle body porting, and maybe a 4age bottom end. What do you guys think?

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 03:21 AM
Is this a joke?

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 03:24 AM
No, I am seriously 13 years old and have a celica. i know it is hard to believe but it is the truth.

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 03:28 AM
If you've been looking for 6 months, you know and love our search function. :p

Is the STX the one that came with the 4a? Sorry, but I don't remember all the non-US or Jap-spec model designations off hand.

You will honestly spend more money for less power than you would have to start out with a swap. There are many swaps to choose from though. A couple guys here have done both blacktop and silvertop 20v swaps with great results.

More really a matter of preference. :)

Welcome.

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 03:32 AM
yeah, but i haven't heard anyone talk about cams or anything except MIKE431635.

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Cams can be had, but the result won't be anything really "fun", but that is just my opinion. ;)

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 03:38 AM
yes, it has the very slow 4afe, but the power doesn't really matter to me right now when i can only drive around my driveway,but i would still like to know of more things to be done to the 4afe

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Leave it as is and enjoy the amazing fuel economy you will have? :)

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 03:44 AM
That doesn't affect me either as i can only drive 20 mph tops :)

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 03:56 AM
... So North Carolina has a state-wide 20mph limit? Interesting....

Be realistic here bud, once you are able to drive the car legally that won't be the case. In the meanwhile, I recommend learning as much as you can and participating in the community. We have alot of knowledgeable folks here, a good portion of which are techs, so you have a great knowledge pool to draw from.

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 04:02 AM
HEHE!
i cant drive more than 20 MPH on my DRIVEWAY.
My dad owns a tire shop and the guys there are very knowlegable. one did a b18 swap and rebuild in an integra and another did a sr20det swap or whatever in a 240sx and they say i should just leave it the way it is for now, and i agree. FOR NOW.

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Thing is with Hondas, you have a vast array of interchangeable parts. Not really so with Toyotas.

Carolina91GT-S
12-09-2008, 04:19 AM
The STX and GTX are basically the ST and GT respectively but the X designation means that the original dealer has added some additional styling items like spoilers, mud guards, rain guards, paint schemes, etc. I have seen many of both of them here in NC. The dealers here liked them for some reason. It does have the typical 4AFE engine. you could do a 4AGE or 4AGZE swap or maybe even a beams engine. the 4AFE is good for fuel economy like Mario said but won't be much fun once you get to real driving. You have the time to put into it might as well be thinking about it now. maybe get the swap engine and spend the time rebuilding/refreshing it.

Where in NC are you?

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 04:22 AM
I live near winston-salem and i have seen like a thousand stx celicas around here but none on the internet. nobody fixes them up around here. it is very sad to see because they are such good cars.

extremeskillz
12-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the site.

Carolina91GT-S
12-09-2008, 04:34 AM
I do all of my work at my uncle's shop in Winston Salem. That is where my swapped celica is right now.

Galcobar
12-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Let us congratulate stxcelica on mastering one thing that so many older members who doubtless think highly of themselves never do: grasping that the four-banger engine has "a header."

Ryan
12-09-2008, 06:09 AM
^lawl.

Ok, you could do what has been stated already and do one of many 4ag series swaps, or you could build up your 4afe and make some pretty good power numbers, as has been proven by one of the other members on here. I cant remember his name, but he boosted his 4afe and is making some pretty ridiculous numbers with it.

It is all about how much money you want to spend, how much power you want, etc.

tuner4life
12-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Congrats on you new car. Since you have quite a while till you start to drive, you can dive in and not have to worry about having the car ready to drive right away. That being the case I would save up for a 20v swap. and probably an individual throttle body setup. Would be cool and you would have quite enought time to do it.

ciento44
12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Let us congratulate stxcelica on mastering one thing that so many older members who doubtless think highly of themselves never do: grasping that the four-banger engine has "a header."

And he seems to have used the Search Button!!!

I like this kid already. :) Already about 30 million spots above Ricky.

And i hate to disagree with EVERYONE in this thread... but i'd like to see someone build a 4afe. Just to be different.

Will it be cost effective? Certainly not. But it'll be nifty.

ciento44
12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Congrats on you new car. Since you have quite a while till you start to drive, you can dive in and not have to worry about having the car ready to drive right away. That being the case I would save up for a 20v swap. and probably an individual throttle body setup. Would be cool and you would have quite enought time to do it.

You DO realize that 20v 4ages have ITBs stock, right........?

tuner4life
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
^meant custom itb setup.

It was at 9:16 am... pre caffene. you know.

I know what I was thinking!!

ciento44
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
^meant custom itb setup.

It was at 9:16 am... pre caffene. you know.

I know what I was thinking!!

Dude whatever i've been up since 4am i don't wanna hear it!! :p

andy
12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
go look up a 20v 4age, plop tha joker in there and enjoy. thats about all i would do to that car. but revving to 8k is very fun in itself. enjoy yur car. my dad let me drive around my neighborhood with him at 12! in his volkswagon bug we rebuilt. dang cable clutch was hardcore. i think when i was 13 i was racing rc cars. anywho, enjoy your youth man!

Ryan
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
And he seems to have used the Search Button!!!

I like this kid already. :) Already about 30 million spots above Ricky.

And i hate to disagree with EVERYONE in this thread... but i'd like to see someone build a 4afe. Just to be different.

Will it be cost effective? Certainly not. But it'll be nifty.

Did you not see what I posted ben... You make me can haz a sad zorz!

Now I have to go feed my friggin wombats.....

ciento44
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Did you not see what I posted ben... You make me can haz a sad zorz!

Now I have to go feed my friggin wombats.....

Did you not see what the OP posted ryan.... you make me can haz a sad zorz!

Now i have to go feed my friggin stomachs.....

I want more power for when i turn 16 without doing a swap or turboing it. i was thinking cams, headwork, throttle body porting, and maybe a 4age bottom end. What do you guys think?

Ryan
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I posted that he has many options and many electrics.. Plus I said he could build a 4afe and make some impressive numbers.

Lonestag
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I cut my ebay exaust manifold into two seperate pieces, one for the left, one for the right, just so I could say headers.

Seriously though man, your 13 and have a really decent car, at this point your fairly far ahead of the game.

My guess is by the time your 16 you will be more open to making some serious power with a swap or somthing.

Doing the intake header and exaust will be a good start, if you do that and you don't feel like you have enough juice behind the wheel, which you probably will, then you can look at the options.

If you wan't to keep the same engine, which some of us like to do just out of the principle of the matter, then I think that cams, maybe port+polish, maybe an underdrive pully, and good fuel mangement (Emange or the like), will be about the most you can do with any decent gain and not spending twice what you paid for the car.

ciento44
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I posted that he has many options and many electrics.. Plus I said he could build a 4afe and make some impressive numbers.

And then you referenced a dude that made like.... 600whp on a built turbo'd 4afe. Dascorcha lol.

stxcelica
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
:eek: WOW!
i can't thank you all enough for all of the responses and the great ideas.
like Ciento44 says, i would kinda like to keep my 4afe and build something different than just doing another 4age swap. i am looking for about 200-275WHP, which is quite a lot for a car that weighs around 2500lbs. i just wanna be able to blow away retards in ricer civics and cavaliers. do you think a 4afe is capable of 250 whp or so without a turbo? Thanks again :)

celica91gts
12-09-2008, 10:36 PM
n/a mods give very minimal gains for the cost of an arm. if you wish to achieve 250 hp without being an amputee the rest of your life i suggest a swap. if you are set on having an n/a car i would suggest you get the most powerful one you can get and build up from there. so a beams engine comes with 200 hp stock? (correct me if im wrong) and you can keep modding from there. you have 3 years before you can start driving. this means 3 years to buy an engine and components. if you do so, by the time you are 16 you will be the coolest kid in school that can beat all the mustangs in the school parking lot. tehehe.

Cavanagh
12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Swap a 4AGE 20v, please.
okay?

Grot
12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
BEAMS ftw!

RedRkt01
12-10-2008, 12:37 AM
n/a mods give very minimal gains for the cost of an arm. if you wish to achieve 250 hp without being an amputee the rest of your life i suggest a swap. if you are set on having an n/a car i would suggest you get the most powerful one you can get and build up from there. so a beams engine comes with 200 hp stock? (correct me if im wrong) and you can keep modding from there. you have 3 years before you can start driving. this means 3 years to buy an engine and components. if you do so, by the time you are 16 you will be the coolest kid in school that can beat all the mustangs in the school parking lot. tehehe.

The beams isn't that modable......that's why I went with the 3rd Gen 3SGE.

Even if he did that swap (which would require welding in new S mounts) he wouldn't be beating any Mustangs.....at least not any Mustang worth talking about.

I'm with that crazy eskimo kid on the 20v. :bigthumbu

90CelicaST
12-10-2008, 12:43 AM
i am looking for about 200-275WHP, which is quite a lot for a car that weighs around 2500lbs. i just wanna be able to blow away retards in ricer civics and cavaliers. do you think a 4afe is capable of 250 whp or so without a turbo? Thanks again :)
Is there a certain reason you want to stay Naturally Aspirated? I doubt the 4AFE is capable of hitting that mark N/A. But, then again, no one has tried. It would be better to just strengthen the bottom end, and throw a turbo on it.

Cavanagh
12-10-2008, 12:45 AM
To reach those numbers on a 4AFE, force induction is needed.

MrWOT
12-10-2008, 12:50 AM
:stupid:

stxcelica
12-10-2008, 01:02 AM
The only reason i want to stay naturally aspirated is because i don't want to have to buy a custom manifold when i got a new header a few months ago and spent like $400 on it. i also don't want to lose drivability and dependability. maybe i could just leave it like it is and save up for an alltrac,camaro, or mustang for a drag car.

90CelicaST
12-10-2008, 01:05 AM
In 3 years, that 'new' header won't be so new anymore. You don't have to lose drivability or dependability on a turbo setup when you have a good tune.

Cavanagh
12-10-2008, 01:06 AM
You are 13, dont go saving for a SECOND vehicle haha. If you turbo your ST, you wont lose that much reliablity, and you will gain alot more power rather then doing N/A work. If worse comes to worse man, just slap a nitrous kit on it and call it a day.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37288
Hey look! Ciento happens to be selling one! :)

stxcelica
12-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Are you serious? only 3 years out of a header and it is done and i need a new one?

90CelicaST
12-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Are you serious? only 3 years out of a header and it is done and i need a new one?
Just forget what I said. Since a swap is probably out of the question too (since you won't be able to use your $400 manifold), have fun trying to get 150 more horsepower out of N/A mods. You'll probably have to spray it like Cavanagh said.

celica91gts
12-10-2008, 01:34 AM
400 for a header?..... really??? that sucks in so many ways i can;t even begin. your like a friend of mine who spent 2100 on a toda exhaust...

stxcelica
12-10-2008, 01:39 AM
well the header itself was only like 260 but they sent me the wrong downpipe that was like 5 inches too short so i had to spend 140 on a welding job and longer 02 sensor wires. i needed a header though, my manifold was cracked all to pieces and it sounded like a john deere tractor

celica91gts
12-10-2008, 02:58 AM
140 on a simple welding job!? i paid 100$ to have my whole exhaust done at a muffler shop. you need to shop around my friend.

stxcelica
12-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Lucky!!!!!!

ruadan
12-10-2008, 04:08 AM
:eek: WOW!
i can't thank you all enough for all of the responses and the great ideas.
like Ciento44 says, i would kinda like to keep my 4afe and build something different than just doing another 4age swap. i am looking for about 200-275WHP, which is quite a lot for a car that weighs around 2500lbs. i just wanna be able to blow away retards in ricer civics and cavaliers. do you think a 4afe is capable of 250 whp or so without a turbo? Thanks again :)
I own a civic, and trust me straight out of the box it will take on a civic. Maybe not a civic with a b series but most older civics that kids rice out have d series engines which are pretty wimpy engines.

revv_head
12-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Why people buy ST Celicas I do not know... But man seriously, wait till your parents are out and just take the car out man.

celicaGT90_05
12-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Thing is with Hondas, you have a vast array of interchangeable parts. Not really so with Toyotas.

It is true, they do, but I for one find the celicas (at least the 5th gens) to have a vast array of parts. Whats more is that those parts are from toyota. Think about it, 3 hood options, 2 mirrors, 2 spoilers, 5 or 6 different front bumpers, etc etc all from Toyota for 5th gens. Both car manufacturers make quality vehicles at any rate.

Sorry for jumpin in so late, welcome to the site! Looks like you've put some good effort into it already

Cavanagh
12-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Any Honda motor, you can throw parts from this motor and from that motor and make a 200+ hp motor. Honda has that availability where they have the interchangeability where we do not. So it comes down to really, either A. Swap your st to a 4AGZE, 4AGE, or 3SGTE(requires motor mount changes and trans change) or B. work with a not potential 4AFE motor and do thousands of dollars of engine work to a motor to get 10-20 whp tops. OR plan C. Realize what you have, do option A. or throw some N2O at it, work on your suspension and call it a day.
Celicas are great sleepers and cars. I loved mine, 103hp or not, IT was AMAZING to me. do whats in your budget. if you are really 13, you have plenty of time for a swap or turbo.

stxcelica
12-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I googled "4age engines" and found one with uncut harness, 5speed tranny,and everything i would need for $1020. sounds like something to ask santa for, dont you think? :)
Also, what kind of quarter mile times would a swapped stock celica run? 15s Maybe?

RedRkt01
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Also, what kind of quarter mile times would a swapped stock celica run? 15s Maybe?

Who cares? Celicas belong on a track with turns. :bigthumbu

ciento44
12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I googled "4age engines" and found one with uncut harness, 5speed tranny,and everything i would need for $1020. sounds like something to ask santa for, dont you think? :)

A 20v swap should dip into the 14s.

90CelicaST
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Sounds about right, for price(depending on which 4age it is) and quarter-mile time(15-16s).

RedRkt01
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
20v is the A engine I would rock. And I would rock it.

tuner4life
12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Sounds good. Just make sure that the company that you are buying from is credible. Also I would go through and put all new gaskets/seals/pumps/timing/etc... on the motor if there is any doube it ins't new. You never know.