PDA

View Full Version : Speedo extension cable

cmkkvf
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey everybody, I am new to the celica world, but glad to be here. My 1990 ST is in the garage in pieces as it undergoes my fourth major car conversion. However, I have never worked on a car with a mechanical speedo, can you buy extension cables for the speedometer cable? Do they attach down close to the transmission or someplace behind the dash? and links?

gauge cluster is tentatively going to be relocated to in line with the center of the dash.

Love the forums you guys are the biggest help out of anywhere, I haven't worked on a platform that had better technical community!

Caleb

Trance4c
12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't believe there is an additional 'extension'. Since you are moving the cluster further away, the connection that goes between the firewall output and the transmission input will have to be longer, but that will have to be something custom since you are doing a custom setup.

The mechanical speedo line is 3 part - a piece that goes from the back of the cluster through the firewall and stops. A piece from there that screws on that goes down to the transmission and screws in. A piece that receives the extension which has the actual gear inside the trans that spins the cable.

Again, since you relocating the cluster, I dunno how you would go about that.