PDA

View Full Version : 1990 st

ruadan
12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
ok so i just got a 1990 celica st. the motor is blown so im looking to put a new one in it. Something faster, but i only have a 2k budget. any suggestions?

Ryan
12-08-2008, 07:17 AM
4age. Take your pick of which one.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21012&highlight=4age

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38033&highlight=4age

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17486&highlight=4age

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24763&highlight=4age

Also, check out club4ag.com

Murgatroy
12-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Another 4AFE, drop the rest of the $2k into wheels, tires, springs and struts.

ruadan
12-08-2008, 07:36 AM
i was thinking the 5S-FE. but you think the 4afe is better?

Murgatroy
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
In order to drop a 5SFE in there you will have to modify a motor mount, replace your tranny and rewire your harness.

All for a 10HP increase.

The 4AFE is what your car came equipped with, and as such is going to be the easiest to drop back in. For all intents and purposes, it is the best choice for a $2k budget. It gets great fuel economy, and has the ability to get out of it's own way.

The FWD Celica was never intended to be a powerhouse. The USDM engine options left a lot to be desired. However, these are great handling automobiles, especially the ST. It offers a stiffer chassis and a lighter curb weight due to the lack of options.

If you replace your blown motor with a similar 4AFE, you will save a grip of money. Take that money, invest in some nice wheels and tires, and some suspension bits, and you will have a great handling ride that will hold it's own in the twisties with higher powered cars.

ruadan
12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I see, is there a good place to look for engines or should i head over to my local junk yard?

Ghosty
12-09-2008, 04:25 AM
In order to drop a 5SFE in there you will have to modify a motor mount, replace your tranny and rewire your harness.

All for a 10HP increase.

The 4AFE is what your car came equipped with, and as such is going to be the easiest to drop back in. For all intents and purposes, it is the best choice for a $2k budget. It gets great fuel economy, and has the ability to get out of it's own way.

The FWD Celica was never intended to be a powerhouse. The USDM engine options left a lot to be desired. However, these are great handling automobiles, especially the ST. It offers a stiffer chassis and a lighter curb weight due to the lack of options.

If you replace your blown motor with a similar 4AFE, you will save a grip of money. Take that money, invest in some nice wheels and tires, and some suspension bits, and you will have a great handling ride that will hold it's own in the twisties with higher powered cars.

He speaks the truth!

My ST won't win any drag races. But it is light, nimble, and fun in the corners. And public streets aren't for drag racing anyway.

If you invest in a nice strut package, properly dialed in, and some good tires, you'll bring out the potential of the car.

There should be plenty of 4AFEs in your local junk yard. They are very abundant and came in Corollas and Geo Prizms of the same model year.

ruadan
12-09-2008, 05:48 AM
im going to head over to a junkyard this week. thanks for the advice. so i should be looking for '90 celicas, corollas, and geo prizms?

andy
12-09-2008, 05:55 AM
anything that has the same engine as yours. youll know. corollas celicas some pasao etc

ruadan
12-09-2008, 06:02 AM
with the corollas should they be 90's?

ciento44
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
anything that has the same engine as yours. youll know. corollas celicas some pasao etc

Paseo never had 4afe buddy. :p

Hiko
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
motor is blown

How do you mean, blown? Depending on what it is, it might be cheaper just to rebuild.

If the problem is in the block, it might be fun to change the block from a 4afe to a 7afe (1.6L vs. 1.8L). If you just use the block, you'll avoid electronic work, and should only have to deal with the exhaust manifold and timing belt due to a taller block (info from this (http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21012&highlight=7afe+block) thread).

Past that, I'd bet you could do a 4age swap with that budget, but I'd save my money instead and invest in suspension parts like the others have said.

Good luck.

ruadan
12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
well there is a loud knock, white smoke, and a huge loss of power. i cant go over 40. Took it to a mechanic and he said there was engine damage.

here is a look to show you what im working with and what my older project is.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x62/mononokifool/SD530317.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x62/mononokifool/SD530318.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x62/mononokifool/SD530319.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x62/mononokifool/SD530320.jpg

and this is betty blue, i havnt named the celica yet.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x62/mononokifool/SD530316.jpg

Ghosty
12-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Only 136k miles???? That's rather odd for a 4AFE.

It's probably been woefully abused.

ruadan
12-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Only 136k miles???? That's rather odd for a 4AFE.

It's probably been woefully abused.
thats what im thinking. it probably went without oil for quite a while.

I have a question for you guys. I found a place that sells rebuilt engines, i called them today and they said they had rebuilt engines(head and the block) for 650. I called autozone and they said 2k for one. I was just wondering if 650 for a rebuilt 4AFE is a price thats not too good to be true, they also said 1k for engine and install. So after this i will have 1k left. I need to replace a boot which i can do, after that im not sure what to start with. Tax returns are coming back soon. I was thinking suspension. Any suggestions?

Kastigir
12-11-2008, 02:02 AM
thats what im thinking. it probably went without oil for quite a while.

I have a question for you guys. I found a place that sells rebuilt engines, i called them today and they said they had rebuilt engines(head and the block) for 650. I called autozone and they said 2k for one. I was just wondering if 650 for a rebuilt 4AFE is a price thats not too good to be true, they also said 1k for engine and install. So after this i will have 1k left. I need to replace a boot which i can do, after that im not sure what to start with. Tax returns are coming back soon. I was thinking suspension. Any suggestions?
650 seems rather high. You could rebuild it yourself much cheaper.

ruadan
12-11-2008, 02:11 AM
to be honest i dont know how

Murgatroy
12-11-2008, 02:28 AM
650 seems rather high. You could rebuild it yourself much cheaper.
No you couldn't.

You would have ~$300 in machine work alone, then figure in pistons, rings, and all the gaskets...

I have never had a rebuild cost me less than $800 in parts and machine work, granted those are V8s, but then again, parts are cheaper for a 350ci SBC than a Toyota as well.

I rebuilt a B17 several years ago in a buddy's `Teg, and it ran us nearly a grand, using top quality parts.

I would say that $650 is very fair, if the rebuild is a quality one with at least a One Year Warranty. If the $1000 price tag includes the warranty on parts and labor, and you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, that would be a decent deal.

ruadan
12-11-2008, 02:36 AM
it does include the warrenty. i dont know enough about toyota yet to be comfortable doing anything like that. but after that what should i work on?

Murgatroy
12-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Here is a parts breakdown of machine work as I remember it, this is going purely from memory, so there might even be more. Prices will vary depending on your shop, and your location. I used a local shop owned by a guy I trusted, he has been doing my family's machine work for decades.

$40 to hot tank before and after.
($80)
$10 a bore to hone.
($120)
$50 to mic and turn the crank.
($170)
$20 to press pins off old and onto new pistons.
($190)
$100 to mic and deck the head.
($290)
$50 to install the valvesprings.
($340)
Throw in another $100 to make sure you got all the machine work you needed.
So that brings the total up to $440 for machine work, done right?

Throw in an engine kit, the cheaper ones for the SBC with good parts go for $300, so figure the same for a 4cyl Toyota, and you are sitting at $740. I would say that a warrantied 4AFE for $650 is good.

ruadan
12-12-2008, 03:55 AM
so i went to the junk yard today to get some parts but all the celicas were almost completely stripped. I found one part i need which was the cap for my power stearing but i was really hoping to get the carbon fiber looking grill peices but they were all pretty messed up. If i cant end up finding them in a junk yard do places just sell those peices?

celica91gts
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
dealerships sell them and so does 1stoyotaparts.com, honestly lurk around in your buying and selling sections. members hit up yards all the time and post up what they see and if you request and send them the money they will buy it for you and send it to you. this is the cheapest way.

METDeath
12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
They're very overpriced from dealerships, even 1sttoyotaparts.com (which is a dealership out of Washington state). Around $150 per piece.

ruadan
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks guys, all i really need is my passenger side light but the person who had the car before me had it painted and there are a few red spots on it which makes me sad.

METDeath
12-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Which passenger side light?

ruadan
12-13-2008, 06:03 AM
the head light. the little carbon fiber piece is falling off.

glenn
12-13-2008, 06:40 AM
well i just finished rebuilding mine list goes off the top of my head
$90 for head work
$36 for hot tank/jetwash which was everything even the cross members
$240 rebuild kit with all gaskets, pistons, rings, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, valve seats, and the three rubber things on the valve cover.

plus i got an ebay header but if you get one i suggest you also buy a piece of fel-pro pro-ramic part no. 2498 and trace out the gasket and use that stuff because they give you cheap Mr. gasket gaskets which blow out pretty fast...

85gtsblackman
12-13-2008, 06:49 AM
id just get the 650 dollar 4afe

i have alot of 4afe woes though

i replaced mine personally before trading it for a better car :wiggle:

ruadan
01-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Ok the new engine is in. I have a question though. During the night when i leave work at midnight i hear a belt squealing, however during the day it sounds perfectly fine. Is this common?

Murgatroy
01-12-2009, 04:52 AM
The belt is loose. Tighten it.

Freshnicity
01-12-2009, 05:51 AM
yezzir, loose belt, bet its the power steering belt too, mine did that for about an hour before i got fed up with it. tighten it like Murg said

VikingJZ
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Make sure your power steering doesn't leak at atll, and cut the belt.

So much more fun to drive

Freshnicity
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Make sure your power steering doesn't leak at atll, and cut the belt.

So much more fun to drive

lol are you being serious or no???

glenn
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
WTF hell no you want keep that belt power steering is awesome and it really doesn't give you much more hp when you delete the power steering you'll be happy to have lost hp when it take all your arm strength to make a turn

turbo90st
01-16-2009, 04:15 AM
There you go! A workout without ever leaving your car! Sit and watch your biceps get bigger wile you drive!

Murgatroy
01-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Armstrong Powersteering FTW!

For the record, you don't have a right to bitch about no powersteering until you have daily driven a 5000lb car without powersteering.

Freshnicity
01-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Armstrong Powersteering FTW!

For the record, you don't have a right to bitch about no powersteering until you have daily driven a 5000lb car without powersteering.

lol i cant even imagine.

Drove a buddies 93 Civic hatch, no powersteering, and i was struggling. im 6'4 180lbs :(

Think im going to delete my ST's power steering, yay

to the OP, keep your PS haha

ruadan
01-17-2009, 02:06 AM
http://www.riggsboysracing.com/72%20International-1smj.jpg

i use to drive one of these with no power steering.

Kastigir
01-17-2009, 02:26 AM
My 91 Civic didn't have PS, and it wasn't any harder to drive than anything else. Weighing in at a hair over a ton though probably helped.