PDA

View Full Version : ST185 transmission crossmember

ciento44
12-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I need a pic of this, please!

vip09
12-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Disclose your plans and I'll get you one. ;)

Shadowlife25
12-06-2008, 10:37 PM
You'll have none and like it.

Seriously though, did you need any specific angle? Cause I can crawl under the 'Trac and take a picture of the underside of it if that's what you need.

ciento44
12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I THINK i have one....

I got my package from Snapper... but i don't see how it's north to south....

It's about 4 feet long with two mounts on it. Is this what i needed to run the E153 tranny? I haven't been under/in an AllTrac in years, and i can't for the life of me remember what it looked like.

Shadowlife25
12-06-2008, 10:40 PM
That should be the one. East/West mount only links the suspension and doesn't have the mounts built onto it.

ciento44
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Not that it matters anyways.... It was just brought to my attention that i don't even need this crossmember, and that my stock one will work with the particular transmission i'm using.

Awesome.

19celica90
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
^didnt I tell you that?

ciento44
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe?

Clayton just cleared it up to me again... So i guess i'm putting my crossmember up for sale. :hehe:

Trance4c
12-07-2008, 07:39 PM
lol.. sorry brother.

I have been trying to spread the word on this one, you only need the GT4 cross-member if you use an LSD E153 or convert the GT4 AWD trans. The castings for these are the reason for the alter in the cross member. Otherwise, all non-LSD transmissions or stock FWD S53's the casting does not protrude and the stock FWD cross member can be retained.

Personally, it works great for me.. use a non-LSD trans, refresh and add an LSD unit. You won't have to worry about cross members.

Good luck! People always need those cross members though, I believe I sold mine to Kuya in Hawaii!

ciento44
12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
So to clarify... because now Luni is telling me different...

1) I have a Solara E153... Non LSD.
2) I have a TRD LSD for this transmission.

I do NOT need an alltrac crossmember? I can use my stock GT crossmember?

Urgggg......

Anyone have a link to something that shows the differences in casing?

Shadowlife25
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Id keep it.

burnyd
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
So to clarify... because now Luni is telling me different...

1) I have a Solara E153... Non LSD.
2) I have a TRD LSD for this transmission.

I do NOT need an alltrac crossmember? I can use my stock GT crossmember?

Urgggg......

Anyone have a link to something that shows the differences in casing?

Doesnt matter what transmission you have LSD Or Not its the same physical Transmission just different gear box/w a transfor case what evvvv!!!

Yes you should need the cross member for that rear mount!

On my 6gc I HAD to get the st205 cross member for that rear mount otherwise I would have to create a rear mount because the rear mount would not reach it was about 4"'s too short(no jokes here) and It would not be able to fit.....

Once I did get the st205 cross member it fit and I stopped breaking rear mounts all the time.....

Post a Picture exactly what your talking about?????? Because on my swap from what I remember..... the front mount the one under the rad fit perfect from the GT mount, but the rear would not fit........

ciento44
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I'll get a pic of the crossmember up tonite.

Trance4c
12-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Doesnt matter what transmission you have LSD Or Not its the same physical Transmission just different gear box/w a transfor case what evvvv!!!

No, they are cast different. If you have any E153 non-LSD, the casting does not protrude and require the ST185 cross member. Also, mounts can be located and bolted on, it does not require the GT4 cross member.

I know this for a fact, one is sitting in my garage that has been drivin, non-LSD trans, stock FWD cross member. Another I swapped into a local car, and the third is my own.

If you have an LSD E153 or GT4 converted trans, you will need the GT4 cross member. End.

ciento44
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
No, they are cast different. If you have any E153 non-LSD, the casting does not protrude and require the ST185 cross member. Also, mounts can be located and bolted on, it does not require the GT4 cross member.

I know this for a fact, one is sitting in my garage that has been drivin, non-LSD trans, stock FWD cross member. Another I swapped into a local car, and the third is my own.

If you have an LSD E153 or GT4 converted trans, you will need the GT4 cross member. End.

So you're saying i'm going to have to bolt on another mount anyways? And that i can't use my stock GT crossmember without modifying it somehow...

Lawl. I'll just use the GT4 crossmember, then.

burnyd
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM

no, my mr2 tranny started as a NON lsd transmission I simply swapped a aftermarket Diff into and made it LSD.... I DID need that cross member otherwise that rear mount WOULD NOT FIT PROPERLY........

you can prolly rig it and make it work... that is what I did after breaking numerous mounts I decided to just go with the cross member.

Grot
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
To be safe use the GT4 crossmember.

Can it hurt if you dont NEED it?
i wouldnt think so.

ciento44
12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Well what people are telling me, if i'm interpreting right.... is that it won't even fit with my tranny?

Grot
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
try them both. see which one fits (better) and use that one. if you start breaking rear mounts then switch crossmembers.

Trance4c
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Ciento, Burnyd: Yes, the CROSS MEMBER, you can use the stock FWD one with your non-LSD trans. You DO NOT NEED THE GT4 CROSS MEMBER. The whole purpose of the need for the GT4 cross member is NOT THE MOUNTS. It is the change in the curvature of its molding to accommodate the casting of the LSD or GT4 gear boxes.

As for mounts, different conversation! You need the rear GT4 'MOUNT'. Though, you do NOT have to have the cross member, as mounts are swappable. Mounts can be removed, its two bolts. This does NOT require the replacement of the CROSS MEMBER.

I dunno whats hard about understanding that, but there it is. You can spend 10-15 bucks with someone on a mount for 4-5 bucks shipped. OR, you can go spend 80-100 bucks on a heavy ass cross member with $$$ for shipping and still, all you needed was the mount.

I hope that makes sense, and as simple as can be

burnyd
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Ciento, Burnyd: Yes, the CROSS MEMBER, you can use the stock FWD one with your non-LSD trans. You DO NOT NEED THE GT4 CROSS MEMBER. The whole purpose of the need for the GT4 cross member is NOT THE MOUNTS. It is the change in the curvature of its molding to accommodate the casting of the LSD or GT4 gear boxes.

As for mounts, different conversation! You need the rear GT4 'MOUNT'. Though, you do NOT have to have the cross member, as mounts are swappable. Mounts can be removed, its two bolts. This does NOT require the replacement of the CROSS MEMBER.

I dunno whats hard about understanding that, but there it is. You can spend 10-15 bucks with someone on a mount for 4-5 bucks shipped. OR, you can go spend 80-100 bucks on a heavy ass cross member with $$$ for shipping and still, all you needed was the mount.

I hope that makes sense, and as simple as can be

you need both the cross member and the mount, unless you want broken mounts and rateling around... and the cross member DOES hold that mount in place its not just to accomidate the casting of the gear box.... if you do not have it and you shift very hard the tranny will rock back and forth I have had this happen, its very anoiying.... I hated driving that car the way.

Trance4c
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
haha.. Burnyd, your like beating a dead horse. I dunno how many times I have to tell you your wrong, an how many other swaps either done this way running without issue or my own 1st hand knowledge/work that continues to verify I'm correct.

If you'd like to even take this to the other direction, there are individuals that have used the stock FWD cross member cut and welded it just to accommodate the castings of the LSD/GT4 gear box. It is the ONLY reason to have the GT4 cross member.

If you had issues, it was probably somewhere else in your worn setup, mounts or driving behavior an nothing to do with the actual cross member of discussion. All your doing is leading people to source another piece and spend more when its not necessary.

I'm just going to quit try to post this, its great information that I believe will help out a lot of people.

ciento44
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I'd test it... but i really hate to work on my car... and i don't know that i'd remember to test both of them come swap time. :hehe:

Carolina91GT-S
12-09-2008, 03:33 AM
I agree with Burny. I have done this swap. I used the non LSD E153 from an MR2 turbo. The stock GT/GT-S crossmember will not fit correctly. You can get 3 of the 4 mounts in place. The lower/rear mount will not align correctly. I have welders and plasma cutters, I fabricate all kinds of things for my cars. I tired to fit the stock crossmember, then I tried cutting it and modifying it I finally gave up and bought a GT-four/alltrac crossmember. If you already have one, just use it and do it right.

burnyd
12-09-2008, 06:33 AM
I agree with Burny. I have done this swap. I used the non LSD E153 from an MR2 turbo. The stock GT/GT-S crossmember will not fit correctly. You can get 3 of the 4 mounts in place. The lower/rear mount will not align correctly. I have welders and plasma cutters, I fabricate all kinds of things for my cars. I tired to fit the stock crossmember, then I tried cutting it and modifying it I finally gave up and bought a GT-four/alltrac crossmember. If you already have one, just use it and do it right.

Noway!!!! Your definately wrong!!!!!!!!!! It is a 40 dollar part you dont need!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowlife25
12-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Clayton, do you not agree that having the correct one is more useful for a later point in time?

Either way, I'm with Dan on this one. Keep it and use it Ben. I swear if it's gone when I get there to do the swap, I'll kick you square in teh nutz.

Trance4c
12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Clayton, do you not agree that having the correct one is more useful for a later point in time?

The writting is on the wall.

ciento44
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Either way, I'm with Dan on this one. Keep it and use it Ben. I swear if it's gone when I get there to do the swap, I'll kick you square in teh nutz.

Oh... so you're going to come out again in May to helpz me?!

Scoreage. I'll buy your plane tickets.

I wanna run this bitch at Pinks All Out on memorial day weekend.

KoreanJoey
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, I should be shipping said trans out this weekend.

ciento44
12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, I should be shipping said trans out this weekend.

<3. You're the bomb Joey!

Joey... can you PM me your phone number if it's ok for me to call you? I have to pick your brain on a really stupid question i think, and i'm ashamed to start a thread on it. :hehe: