PDA

View Full Version : One of the best products I have ever used

Simonhla
12-05-2008, 05:47 PM
For $36 I got three cans of BG 44k fuel system cleaner shipped to me off ebay. $12 a can you might say for a fuel system cleaner is rather expensive. Not if it actually works.

I have used Techron as well as a host of off the shelf products before without much success. Due to the time involved, level of difficulty for a novice and cost (if you need a professional to do it) I have stopped short of having injectors pulled out and ultrasonically cleaned (which is the best option).

I put a can of BG 44k (typically not sold in stores only sold to shops) in a full tank of gas. Half through that tank i can tell you that there is already a night and day difference in performance. This is not just wishful thinking either. The car now revs harder and faster than it has done for years. I guess 16 years of crud being cleaned out of your fuel system really does have a psoitive effect. I may run a second can of it in my next tank for a really thorough clean and then put another can in every 3k to 5k miles.

I'd be interested top hear if anyone else has had any experience with this.

ciento44
12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Can i buy this at a local retailer?

RedRkt01
12-05-2008, 05:56 PM
^x2?

k.beaty
12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
^x3

METDeath
12-05-2008, 05:59 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320321936795&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

This guy had best deal, even after shipping, unless there's a $22 bottle with free shipping and you get a large quantity.

ciento44
12-05-2008, 06:13 PM
^That's not a local retailer!

Simonhla
12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
No, I couldn't find a single retailer that sold it locally. They usually only sell to shops not to private individuals. Ebay was the only place i could find it. This was the one i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Cans-BG-44K-POWER-ENHANCER_W0QQitemZ120343932099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1203439 32099&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It's just the "power enahncer". Bascially cleans the crap out of your fuel system.
I've tried seafoam in the gas tank and techron and they did nothing compared to this. I haven't used any other BG products. I'm not the only one raving about this stuff just do a google search to get plenty of reviews.

No point buying 1 can either. May as well buy at least 3 if you are paying for shipping. you'll get a better deal that way.

mar_phi6
12-05-2008, 06:39 PM
another product to try

celicaGT90_05
12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I stand by seafoam, it's shown me some effectiveness as well, and is only around $7 a bottle at walmart

Simonhla
12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
You know come to think of it, I think i read somewhere that you can pick it up at some dealerships. Honda was the most commonly cited, although don't quote me on that. Might be worth making a call or two.

As for the seafoam, it work wonders when run through the vacuum lines and crankcase but it didn't do much for my fuel system when put through the tank. In fact it did next to nothing. That's why I went with the BG 44k.

Kastigir
12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda/Acura indeed should be a retailer for the BG stuff. Friend of mine used to work at Acura, and he had tons of their products. I only ever used their oil treatment on my high mileage Honda motor, seemed to work okay. Their brake cleaner is one of the best as well.

CriScO
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Can i buy this at a local retailer?
Yeah, for about $36 bucks a can...

Can't remember which chain carries it off the top of my head, but I can at least say Murray's won't have it.

eatdirt40
12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
See how it feels after your next tank. Most of these products have additives that can boost octane and other things, so it "feels" different, or boosts your mpg temporarily. So before anyone jumps out to buy this stuff, the OP shouldn't be making statements until things go through a cycle or two.

ciento44
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Our cars don't take advantage of higher octane though...

Simonhla
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I hear what he is saying because a lot of people err on the side of caution with products like that but as Ciento says if you put octane booster in your fuel then you won't notice anything in these cars.

I spoke to a few professional mechanics who told me they have been using this stuff for years because it is so effective at cleaning the fuel system. Nothing beats pulling those injectors and having them flushed or ultrasonically cleaned but short of that every one I have spoken to about this have told me this is the best product. My initial results have been excellent. I will though hold off and see if performance is maintained in my next tank of untreated gas.

celicaGT90_05
12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
having higher octane than rated in about any car, especially a bone stock car, is a bunch of crap. Higher octane just means that the fuel is more resistant to combusting (to prevent premature combustion), so whats the point of having higher octane if the motor was designed to combust at a cetain time with a certain gas?

just an fyi, octane boosters = fail

eatdirt40
12-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Our cars don't take advantage of higher octane though...

You would be correct if our cars were brand new. As a car thats older than 15 years old, with engine wear and tear, higher octane can help.

Hiko
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Car Quest stocks BG-44K, but it's like $25 a can. I put some in last weekend. I can't feel a difference, but it's also not the first can of it to go in (last was ~50k miles ago, though).

celicaGT90_05
12-06-2008, 12:07 AM
You would be correct if our cars were brand new. As a car thats older than 15 years old, with engine wear and tear, higher octane can help.

actually, you're backwards. With wear and tear, octane booster will do less than if the motor was new. As I said, octane is the rating at which the fuel resists combustion, which is why higher compression cars require a higher rating of octane. If a motor has more wear and tear, the compression is going to be less, therefore not requiring as high of a rating.

eatdirt40
12-06-2008, 12:12 AM
actually, you're backwards. With wear and tear, octane booster will do less than if the motor was new. As I said, octane is the rating at which the fuel resists combustion, which is why higher compression cars require a higher rating of octane. If a motor has more wear and tear, the compression is going to be less, therefore not requiring as high of a rating.

Prove me wrong. That is all.

celicaGT90_05
12-06-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:OCTANE+RATING&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

now with that being said, you can't possibly say engine wear is going to increase compression

Hiko
12-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Not having researched this, just using what I know (I.E. could be wrong).

To the best of my knowledge, carbon deposits that build up can create hot-spots on the piston and head. This is done by creating sharp edges that don't allow the air to move, and therefore heat up (hence why OEM's minimize the sharp edges on heads or pistons out of the factory). So the increase in knocking is not due to an increase in compression, but due to increased heat pre-igniting the mix. So a higher octane could be seen to help.

celicaGT90_05
12-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Not having researched this, just using what I know (I.E. could be wrong).

To the best of my knowledge, carbon deposits that build up can create hot-spots on the piston and head. This is done by creating sharp edges that don't allow the air to move, and therefore heat up (hence why OEM's minimize the sharp edges on heads or pistons out of the factory). So the increase in knocking is not due to an increase in compression, but due to increased heat pre-igniting the mix. So a higher octane could be seen to help.

this is true, but my point is a worn out engine with decreasing compression will not be effected by octane boosters. I was actually thinking about mentioning this in my next post.

A carbed engine will do what they call dieseling where they continue to run after the ignition has been cut, this is caused by carbon hot spots

edit - sorry I know we're getting off topic here lol

Sang
12-06-2008, 01:54 AM
"octane boosters" lol...what are you planning to achieve with an extra .2-.4 of octane?
Run the octane that the car was tuned for. Putting in 93 when it needs 87 is a complete waste of money...

ciento44
12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:OCTANE+RATING&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

now with that being said, you can't possibly say engine wear is going to increase compression

Depending on how the deposits fall yes...

It's VERY common in rotary motors to increase compression as they get older.

celicaGT90_05
12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
notice I said engine wear, not carbon deposits lol a motor also doesnt need to be high mileage to have such deposits.