PDA

View Full Version : air bag light tool = win

celicaGT90_05
12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
After becoming sick of the air bag light being my only light to be on on my dash, I decided that since the quick tip I recieved didn't work, I would give it my last ditch effort and make an air bag tool as show by shadowlife.

The tool indeed did work, however, there was one thing in the guide that was wrong. The guide instructs you to click the button 3 times taking a second between, however when I did this I still had the problem. Irritated, I decided to see what would happen if I clicked it quickly 3 times. What do you know, it works! So if anyone is going to attempt this, clicking quickly worked for me, and the light began to flash rapidly until the key and tool were removed.

Only thing I need to do now is solder and make myself a label for the tool. I decided not to solder yet so I could make sure the tool was going to work.

If anyone is interested in pics of the tool I constructed or hell, was even interested in one, I may be persuaded.

90CelicaST
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I still think it's easier to play the drums manually :P But still, cool. Post pics?

Ryan
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Pics now please.:)

celicaGT90_05
12-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Alright here are some pics as requested. I decided to go with a green LED, stands out more I think, but its not a big deal. I meant to shrink wrap the yellow wire connection to the switch, but I forgot to put it on before soldering, not like it matters now anyway haha

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/Random/000_0385-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/Random/000_0386-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/Random/000_0387-1.jpg

joe's gt
12-02-2008, 02:41 AM
I still think it's easier to play the drums manually :P But still, cool. Post pics?
:stupid: In what I read I interpreted it as waiting a second between each grounding but I guess I was wrong.

I think its just easier to take two wires and tat,tat,tat. but just IMO. If you got the time, the tool will work as well i guess.

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 05:41 AM
I think I'll just hardwire it in to the diagnostic port and use a micro-led in red that is in-cabin next to my "diagnostic mode" micro-toggle.
Pair of molex connectors from rat shack should make it all pretty simple.

Pointless maybe, but I like little projects like this. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. ;)

Grot
12-02-2008, 05:44 AM
i like the idea. i wanna see how it turns out if u actually do it.

grayscale
12-02-2008, 05:49 AM
I missed something- link to original topic?
If we're talking about getting the airbag light to go off I found it easier to just remove that particular bulb from the cluster altogether.

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Sure thing. :)

I have to build it anyhow since I pulled the whole mess and have to do it again IF I ever get the correct heater core. :(

Funny thing, the part SUPPLIER told me I was wrong and that the 86-87 heater core WAS the correct one for my 5th gen, and that I MUST BE WRONG. LOL. I actually did laugh at them.
Then I explained to them I knew I was absolutely correct.
Then they argued some more.
I stopped being nice, because stupidity should be painful to the doer.
I think they died a little inside.
I got paid return shipping AND my refund.

:cool:

PS.
Sorry for the thread-jack. :)

celicaGT90_05
12-02-2008, 05:55 AM
:stupid: In what I read I interpreted it as waiting a second between each grounding but I guess I was wrong.

I think its just easier to take two wires and tat,tat,tat. but just IMO. If you got the time, the tool will work as well i guess.

See the thing about it is, had I tried that and tried that, but I thought maybe something is missing so I decided to make the tool just to find it.

As for taking out the light, yeah could have done that, but with the air bag light on the system will not work. While I have the system, I wanted to get it working right. Besides, it was a fun and neat little project.

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Cannon, removing the bulb is not an option for me, as I am in California. :(

Smog techs in my area check EVERYTHING for smog2. It would automatically fail if the bulb did not illuminate.

Grot
12-02-2008, 05:58 AM
thats why Cali blows.

a friend of mine has a camaro with a bolt in catalytic where che can take it out and put in a straight pipe to eliminate it.

would something like that be illegal in Cali?

Sorry for thread jack

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Do you want a picture write-up of how to hard wire this in? It's really not something that you would really use often if at all. I'll do it if you want though. :)

joe's gt
12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Cannon, removing the bulb is not an option for me, as I am in California.

Smog techs in my area check EVERYTHING for smog2. It would automatically fail if the bulb did not illuminate.

Dude Mario, u need to find a different shop. Mine just pops the hood, hooks the battery cables up and does tail. I think they even know I did an engine swap, but since it passes emissions and they see the (fake) egr and the engine is stock they just do tail and I'm done.

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 08:08 AM
PM the shop name and info to me. :)

92VertGT
12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
This thread went off topic incredibly fast but uh nice job? Lol

wizzards581
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
my airbag light is on. mayb i need to try this?

grayscale
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Cannon, removing the bulb is not an option for me, as I am in California. :(

Ah yes, forgot about that little detail. Good work! carry on...
Now my memory is refreshed as to why I never moved back to Cali after I left. :laugh:

91 Celica GT-S
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
i think i have passed smog 3 times in cali with the bulb disconnected. i think they only care about the check engine light not to sure

wizzards581
12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
i think i have passed smog 3 times in cali with the bulb disconnected. i think they only care about the check engine light not to sure

if cel is not on its ok. they cant do anything with codes stored.