PDA

View Full Version : Good Lord somebody please help me!

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I have put a ton of money into this car and it seems as though it is cursed.

I have been getting a burning smell lately and I did all the basic things to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong.

Today I went to check the oil and found that it was all the way up the dipstick. I wiped it down several times and it was still the same way.

I then noticed the oil temperature/pressure switch was diconnected so I reconnected it waited a while and the oil guage read as it normally would. I noticed then the oil was low (which is odd because I keep on top of it). So I topped it off some.

It was around this time that I noticed a tapping sound coming from the block. When I rev it it sounds pretty rough. It's as though something is knocking around in there (although it is fairly rythmic and you have to listen closely to hear it).

Once I topped the oil up and fired the engine up again there was oil all the way up the dipstick even after wiping it down and taking repeated readings.

This engine has around 3,000 miles on the rebuilt motor. I am terrified that it is now ruined. I am taking it to a reputable mechanic as soon as I can but I need to drive to work on Monday. It drives fine and idles well but I terrified of ruining it. The light tapping sound is what freaks me out as well as the burning smell after a lsightly spirited drive, also what is up with the oil readings!!!!

In a word......HELP

Ryan
11-29-2008, 09:56 PM
How much oil did you put in there? It could be that it is over full...

By the way, clear you pm's up.... Your box is full.

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok pm's cleared.
I put about half a quart more in. The last time I topped it off was half way through a cross country drive which was only 700 miles after a rebuild and a couple hundred after an oil change.

Why would the dipstick be covered in oil, then suddenyl have a seemingly accurate reading (which was low) and then go back to being covered in oil. And how would this cause the tapping sound? How do i be sure if there is too much in it?

MrWOT
11-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Let it sit for a half hour, then check it, let it all drain into the pan.

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok I let it sit and then rechecked the oil. It is sitting very very slightly above the "F". Maybe a slight tad too much but nothing dramatic I don't think. It does sound a little better now but there is a rattling still. It almost sounds like something hasn't been tightened right.

I had a guy replace the seals on my injectors recently and I think he took the valve cover off to get to them. I also don't think he replaced the gasket because between the block and the valve cover it looks like someone has filled the seal with a dark black (plasticy almost) filler. I may just be imagining things though. As soon as the camera is charged I'll take pics.

There is definitely a knocking though. I don't know if that is normal and I am being completely nutty or if this is outside the realm of normalcy. You have to listen reasonably closely.

FYI the last guy to do the oil on my car put in 3 quarts of 10w40 and one of 20w50. This was the first change after the rebuild (approx 500 miles) and about 300 miles ago. I just topped it off with some penzoil 10w40.

Ryan
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, you will know when it is seriously knocking... It is a sound unlike any other, and is very loud.. .I really doubt it is knocking with that low mileage, unless stuff wasnt torqued and installed correctly.

Pm sent

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
ok. Am I using the wrong weight of oil? I was thinking it was tiem to go and get an oil change. I'll have to wait until Tuesday unless I want to brave Jiffy Lube today.

Ryan
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I always use 10w30.

burnyd
11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Im confuzid, when you say you topped it off I am hoping that you did not fill your entire motor up all the way with oil and not the normal required amount of oil lol? How many qts did you fill it with??

ciento44
11-29-2008, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Simonhla]Ok I let it sit and then rechecked the oil. It is sitting very very slightly above the "F". Maybe a slight tad too much but nothing dramatic I don't think. It does sound a little better now but there is a rattling still. It almost sounds like something hasn't been tightened right.

I had a guy replace the seals on my injectors recently and I think he took the valve cover off to get to them. I also don't think he replaced the gasket because between the block and the valve cover it looks like someone has filled the seal with a dark black (plasticy almost) filler. I may just be imagining things though. As soon as the camera is charged I'll take pics.

There is definitely a knocking though. I don't know if that is normal and I am being completely nutty or if this is outside the realm of normalcy. You have to listen reasonably closely.

FYI the last guy to do the oil on my car put in 3 quarts of 10w40 and one of 20w50. This was the first change after the rebuild (approx 500 miles) and about 300 miles ago. I just topped it off with some penzoil 10w40.[/QUOTE

Does the knocking increase speed in relativity to engine speed?

MrWOT
11-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd switch to 5w30 next time, assuming a full rebuild of a new oil pump, bearings, rings, etc.

edit: actually, I'd do it NOW if you can afford the $25 for a self oil change.

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Does the knocking increase speed in relativity to engine speed?

Good question. I think so but as I rev it harder the engine is really loud and I can't really hear the knocking anymore. I am going to go and take a short video and post it. I may just be driving myself crazy over nothing. Would a tapping sound be valves? But wouldn't the valves have been done in the rebuild?

Im confuzid, when you say you topped it off I am hoping that you did not fill your entire motor up all the way with oil and not the normal required amount of oil lol? How many qts did you fill it with??[U]

Yes I kept filling it up until the oil was brimming right up to the top of the oil filler cap on the block. Why is that too much? Was probably about 4 or 5 quarts extra i put in over what was already in there..........

..............or I could be yanking your chain. Lol. I'm not that daft! I know I give a good impression of a mechanical mongoloid but I do know the basics.

To be serious for a second and answer your question. I topped it up with slightly less than half a quart of oil. I had an oil change done 3000 miles ago shortly after the rebuild. I then drove from california to chicago. On the trip i topped it up with another quart because it was reading a little low. I figured this was normal as the oil slowly clung to the freshly rebuilt internals. When i arrived in chicago about three months ago I checked the oil and it was fine. Then today I topped it up with half a quart. All of this was 10w40. When the mechanic did the last change he put one quart of 20w50 in. He said the naturally speerated and provided me with extra protection.

burnyd
11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
^^ Okay lol, well find out if this noise is as you increase speed if it goes fast or not... because if it is I have bad news for you......

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I'd switch to 5w30 next time, assuming a full rebuild of a new oil pump, bearings, rings, etc.

edit: actually, I'd do it NOW if you can afford the $25 for a self oil change.

Ok I am switching to 5w30. Quick question about changing the oil myself. I understand it is not that hard but how do i dispose of the old oil? That is my primary concern. I was planning to go royal purple 5w30.

MrWOT
11-29-2008, 11:07 PM
take it to whereever you buy your oil, most auto parts stores will recycle it.

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 11:18 PM
So on a related note when I mentioned the valve cover. Have a look at this. What is that black sticky crap that i have all the way around it, like a sort of temporary seal almost. I notice the plug wires were all twisted and one wasn't connected properly. I took care of that but these guys were frickin cowboys.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5798/valvecoverss0.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/valvecoverss0.jpg/1/w800.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img175/valvecoverss0.jpg/1/)

Ryan
11-29-2008, 11:20 PM
It is RTV silicone. Its like a self gasket maker... I would eventually get an actual valve cover, but if its not leaking, dont worry about it for now.

Simonhla
11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
So those clowns took my valve cover off....? I knew it. The whole reason I took it to them was because I didn't want to do that.

Ryan
11-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Looks that way man....

Check your PM's.

T-spoon
11-30-2008, 12:25 AM
BTW, as to the original problem it sounds like you may have oil getting forced up the dipstick tube. My first thought is that your crankcase isn't venting properly so it's getting forced up the tube. How is your PCV?

Edit: And yeah, most hack shops just use silicone to reseal everything, and it often leads to not having a very good seal and makes it difficult and messy to take off and put componants on. I hate having to sit and scrape that shit off after somone has gone nuts with it. There are a couple spots it's supposed to be used on the valve cover, but literally spots (I think right on the front cam cap area) not all around like cake icing.

Simonhla
11-30-2008, 12:58 AM
BTW, as to the original problem it sounds like you may have oil getting forced up the dipstick tube. My first thought is that your crankcase isn't venting properly so it's getting forced up the tube. How is your PCV?

Edit: And yeah, most hack shops just use silicone to reseal everything, and it often leads to not having a very good seal and makes it difficult and messy to take off and put componants on. I hate having to sit and scrape that shit off after somone has gone nuts with it. There are a couple spots it's supposed to be used on the valve cover, but literally spots (I think right on the front cam cap area) not all around like cake icing.

Thanks. What a bunch of twats. I am not sure how my pcv is. How would I go about checking it?

Ryan
11-30-2008, 01:50 AM
You can check the pcv valve(its on the back of the valve cover on the side of the throttle body) by taking it out and shaking it. If it does not rattle, that means you need a new one.

Simonhla
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
My pcv is a little clogged I think. I did seafoam the system today through the brake booster line (fun!!) but I am going to slap a new pcv valve on there anyway as they're so cheap.

I went and got some royal purple 5w30 and a k&N oil filter. I plan to do that change this week. I also went and got some NGK iridium plugs as I figured the seafoam cleaning may foul them up. Plus I seem to remember a set of Bosch going in last time and I have just read how people feel about Bosch.

Finally I also order some bg 44k injector cleaner. I keep hearing really great things about it so decided to give it a shot. Should I wait to change my oil and plugs until after I have run that stuff or doesn't it matter?

Ryan
11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
It shouldn't matter if all you have left to do is the injector cleaning..

I would wait to change the oil though until after you do the pcv valve.

Corey Darling
12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
If the oil is too high, it can come in contact with the crank. This will errate the oil - forming bubbles - not good.

I would use the oil recommended by the manual. I have been using 5W30 RP for a while now, but I feel its a bit too thin.

The manual recommend 5W30 for <10*C where as 10W30 is good for just about all temperatures you'll encounter short of driving to the poles.

So my next oil change will be 10W30 RP.

EDIT: Seafoam may have also damaged your O2 sensor. It sure did a number on mine.

Simonhla
12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks. Good to know. It says it is O2 sensor safe. I'll have to check it now.

I'll go for 10w30 next time perhaps then. I'm in for cold chicago winter so the 5w30 may be a good choice but perhaps overkill. Lots of people on here seem to be running it.

Ryan
12-01-2008, 12:54 AM
I live near chicago, and i run 10w30

ciento44
12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't live near chicago, and i run 5w30 anyways in "winter."

Simonhla
12-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Ok yet another question! Sorry!

I've been noticing that the car has a really erratic response to full throttle. Sometimes if I slap on the ECT power function and floor it, it will rev pretty high Maybe up to 5K before it shifts. However sometimes, like today (and many other days) it just doesn't want to go above 3k rpm's. It's totally unpredictable. Seems to be running fine in general.

I am going to run some fuel system cleaner (BG 44k) see if that helps but is this an ECU problem. (I was told a while a go that my ECU was a little burned, although I don't know how accurate that is). I know the engine is capable of going higher because I can high rev it in park and also if I take off over drive on the freeway it will of course be forced to rev high, but sometimes pedal to the metal just pulls sluggishly up to 3k and that's it.

What gives?

I am starting to think all these things are connected. I am going to switch the pcv this week and run the fuel cleaner. Also going to slap the NGK iridiums on there. Would love some insight.

4thgenceli
12-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Also, the tapping could be the the lifters coming in contact with the buckets/shims. My Celina did that, but only at a certain RPM, usually 2500-3000ish. Not a big deal, some thicker oil will take care of that (not the recommended fix).

Shadowlife25
12-02-2008, 06:41 AM
It's an automatic isn't it? :squint:

Simonhla
12-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes it is. Shame on me.
When I first start her up in the morning it will rev to 5k with the ECT power on but after driving around for a little while it will not really do it anymore. usually limiting out at 3k rpm no mattter how hard i slam the pedal.????

I was thinking of picking up a an OBD1 scanner. But is this a waste of time if i am not throwing a CEL?