PDA

View Full Version : New head unit, install questions...

dan93st
03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
So I recently bought the Alpine CDA-9833 from Crutchfield on clearance for $300. I also got the recommended 10ga wire to hook it up to the battery. I've installed a number of headunits before, so I'm pretty familiar with the basics. But I've never wired anything directly to the battery before. Anybody know an easy location to pass wires through the firewall? I'd prefer not to drill holes if at all possible. For the ground, would using the ground line in the stock wire harness be sufficient, or would it be better that I make a chassis ground elsewhere? Those are the only two issues I can really see arising with this install. Looks fairly straightforward otherwise.

ocb_dave_ocb
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Go through your firewall where your speedometer cable is.. Move the Rubber grommet out and you will have enough room to pass it there.. I dont understand why you would do all of that though.. Because now your going to have to manually turn your Head unit off every time you turn the car off...

Slider
03-10-2005, 06:12 PM
He won't have to turn it on and off manually since there is two power wires, one goes to the ACC and the other to the battery, so it won't come on unless ACC is getting power. As for the ground I would ground it to the chassis, the ground wire on the alpine is much thicker than the ground wire in the harness.

ocb_dave_ocb
03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
He won't have to turn it on and off manually since there is two power wires, one goes to the ACC and the other to the battery, so it won't come on unless ACC is getting power. As for the ground I would ground it to the chassis, the ground wire on the alpine is much thicker than the ground wire in the harness.

yeah I see what your saying.. But really though wouldnt it defeat the purpose to run the new wire unless your going to use a capacitor...

Slider
03-11-2005, 05:55 PM
yeah I see what your saying.. But really though wouldnt it defeat the purpose to run the new wire unless your going to use a capacitor...

The small stock wire can't supply the amount of power the head unit demands, the power is there but the small wire can't supply it all, so by putting in a bigger gauge wire you're allowing more power to go to the headunit. The headunit probably draws like 200watts MAX so a capacitator wouldn't be necessary.

AJz
03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
another place to run wires is where the ecu etc is, behind the glovebox, there is a whole goin thru the firewall there. thats where i ran my stereo cable, and my fog lights.