PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Idle

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-26-2008, 01:04 AM
So my car has been idling like this for the longest and it is finally getting on my nerves...So sometimes it will jump in between 1-2...drops to 1 then goes up to 2. Finally it just stays idling at 2 and thats its normal idle. Timing is correct because I did it at school a few months back with our Master Tech teacher so I know the timing is right, whats up with the idle? ANy ideas?

Simonhla
11-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Ahh my friend, welcome to my world. I am far from anything even resembling an expert and will bow to the superior knowledge of the vast majority of other posters but the first two things to check on for idling issues are the IACV (Idle air control valve) and look for a vacuum leak. My IACV was faulty and the valve would often stay open causing a surge , other times it would stay shut causing a stall. That said IACV problems usually manifest themselves with a bouncing idle, but still check it.

I also found that my EGR system was clogged which causedme to have a rough and erratic idle. he tubes are small and the valve is tiny so little carbon deposits that build up over time can obstruct the openings. This cuases a rough idle.

From what I gather a vacuum leak will cause quite often a surging idle. Spray some carb cleaner around the gaskets to check for leaks. If there is one it will surge on contact. Or so I hear.

I recently had the o-rings replaced on my injectors which helped a lot. They were so hard when they came out you'd have thought they were made of solid plastic instead of pliable rubber. Idle improved dramatically.

Hopefully someone else will give you some better feedback.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Cool man, thanks for the input, Ill check all that out tomorrow. Anyone else have any ideas or comments to add to Simonhla's?

Kathor
11-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Also not an expert and this is my first post but I had a similar problem where after short bursts of acceleration the idle would "bounce" between 600 and 1100.

Pulled the dizzy off and the air cleaner and used liberal amounts of carby cleaner and seems to have fixed it up... still idles a bit rough so it needs more work but scanning these forums has given me a few ideas to tryout.

oh and the rubber seal between the dizzy and the engine was not fitted properly, and the spinning contact inside looks a bit worn and pitted so a dizzy rebuild is probably in order but i'd suggest giving it a good clean up top and see where that leads :)

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Dizzy? Distributor?....Any one else have any ideas???????????????

Kathor
11-29-2008, 07:24 AM
yeah sorry dizzy = Distributor just my aussie lasyness coming in there...
we shorten all our words :)

Also forgot to mention giving the throttle body a good clean out seemed to make a big difference

Ryan
11-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I would definitely check the IACV and also check for vacuum leaks and make sure your vacuum hoses are connected correctly. Those are the 1st two things I would check if I were you.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Ok, no time to check any of these today er, or yesterday w.e....will do today...thanks guys.