PDA

View Full Version : Burning problem

Simonhla
11-25-2008, 09:33 PM
As many have probably figured out I have been going through something of an overhaul on the old Celi for a little while now. A problem though which has been creeping up lately has me rather worried.

Every time i go for a drive (15 mins or over) there is a noticeable burning smell when i arrive at the other end. I cannot smell it in the cabin, only once out of the car. I am fairly sure it isn't coolant as the smell isn't sweet and I just had the cooling system checked. I do not see any smoke coming out of the tail pipe and the temperature guage is reading normal. I am concerned about driving it because i don't want to damage it.

I've popped the hood and tried to find the source of the smell. It's hard to pin down. if I had to take an educated guess i would say it is coming from under the heat shield but I cannot be sure. It may be the block. I had a rebuild done a few months ago and changed the oil after about 500 miles. Since then I have gone 3000 miles on this oil including a cross country trip. Planning to change that soon too. Last mechanic who looked at couldn't find anything wrong but after spending a pretty penny on the rebuild i would be pissed to mess it up. The oil level and collant levels are fine.

Advice?

andy
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
something stuck to block burning off? dunno man.

eatdirt40
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Its oil, these are old cars.