PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Dads and Muscle Cars

joe's gt
11-24-2008, 03:54 AM
My dad has wanted me to get a muscle car and build it from the ground up ever since I started working on cars. No doubt, muscle cars are sweet and can make major power but I just prefer the imports and newer fuel injected cars. I'm a gadget guru so I love the fact that u can make ur own fuel maps and adjust all the electronics to ur liking. Not to mention the multifunctional devices u can put in the dash dvd/cd/gps with nice size lcd screens. When I'm at the point in my life after school and when I have my own house and garage, I plan to start a project car to build from the ground up. But I just don't envision a muscle car. I envision a car with sensors and on a dyno thats being tuned with graphs and laptops. I don't know just me and my preference. Any other of u young guys like me in the same boat.

Slider
11-24-2008, 03:59 AM
That is because he grew up around muscle cars. Reliving childhood dreams is all it is.

Murgatroy
11-24-2008, 04:02 AM
You are aware that you can do all of the same to a muscle car right?

I have seen plenty of Mustangs with late model 4.6 Modulars. Several LSX swapped Camaros. I even saw a Street Rod with a 1UZFE in it.

I myself prefer a carb, it is easier to tune IMO. You don't need half of the tools or a $500 computer with a $2000 ECU setup.

I am of course biased, since I am both a Father and a huge muscle car fan, having owned dozens of them.

Ryan
11-24-2008, 04:08 AM
My family has always been HARDCORE AMERICANA!!!! lol.

That is except my dad.

Of course he had his fair share of american cars, over the years he has had old Subarus, Datsuns, Volvos, Etc.

My mom and dad bought there first foreign car that i can remember in 1995. It was a sales mans car. A 1994 Nissan Altima GXE. They kept that for the longest time, and it ended up being sold to me as my first car, and then I sold it when the transmission gave out at 225,000 miles. After that, my dad bought the celica that I now own. He bought it for $800.

It ran and drove ok, but needed a new clutch. He had that done, and then when I sold my MX-3, he sold the celica to me.

In june, he bought another celica.

I think that import fever has gotten him.

Both of my parents really like imports, but the rest of my family, are mostly Domestic nuts.

Here is a quick little list of what I know my family drives.

Dad-1992 Celica GT hatch auto
Mom-1997 Buick Lesabre (she is going to be getting a new car in a month or two)
Sister-2007 Nissan Sentra S

Grandpa(moms biological)-2007 Dodge Ram bighorn edition
Grandpa(moms adopted father)-2000 Dodge ram 1500, VW Passat TDI 5 Sp.

Uncles- 2004 Dodge Ram 1 ton Cummins crew cab long bed dually, Cadillac SRX, Dodge Caravan, Ford excursion, Buick Rendezvous.

Grot
11-24-2008, 04:14 AM
I even saw a Street Rod with a 1UZFE in it.

You talkin about the mk3 supra that the guy from autozone owns?

joe's gt
11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
You are aware that you can do all of the same to a muscle car right?

Yeah, from all the reading i've done i've realized you can put almost anything in anything for the right price.

I myself prefer a carb, it is easier to tune IMO. You don't need half of the tools or a $500 computer with a $2000 ECU setup.

Yeah, I know a carb is easier, but don't those cars require more frequent maintenance than fuel injected cars? just what i've heard, don't know much about carbed cars in general. Yeah, i guess its just an electronics fetish, especially if money is not an object.

Here is a quick little list of what I know my family drives.

Dad-1992 Celica GT hatch auto
Mom-1997 Buick Lesabre (she is going to be getting a new car in a month or two)
Sister-2007 Nissan Sentra S

Grandpa(moms biological)-2007 Dodge Ram bighorn edition
Grandpa(moms adopted father)-2000 Dodge ram 1500, VW Passat TDI 5 Sp.

Uncles- 2004 Dodge Ram 1 ton Cummins crew cab long bed dually, Cadillac SRX, Dodge Caravan, Ford excursion, Buick Rendezvous.

definitely night and day. lol. I guess its just personal preference.

He hasn't tried to force it on me or anything, just mentions it all the time. But I guess I've just got import fever. lol. there is definitely a difference between a ricer and a tuner tho. I think there is a misconception and people who have very nice imports are automatically classified as a ricer in a lot of instances.

85gtsblackman
11-24-2008, 04:36 AM
ou talkin about the mk3 supra that the guy from autozone owns?

i want his car

Murgatroy
11-24-2008, 05:32 AM
You talkin about the mk3 supra that the guy from autozone owns?
No, not his, though the sidepipes are a nice touch.

I am talking about a `32 Chevrolet Sedan with a 1UMZFE in it.

With a carb, you can 'set it and forget it.' That doesn't mean you never have to touch it again though. I count things like that among the joys of owning a car. Rebuilding a carb is also a lot cheaper. Then if you want to up the size, you don't have to replace injectors and a throttle body.

It was what I was raised on, I am just more comfortable from experience.

Grot
11-24-2008, 06:13 AM
i want his car

I can talk to a friend of mine and get some pics of it.
Its fucking badass.

Murgatroy
11-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Joe has seen it in person, he met the kid last time he was up here. We talked about it for a bit. I think his name was Josh? Coldiron knows him better.

Grot
11-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Ah. The guy who owns it name is Daniel. you could have talked to a friend of his, Jordan. im not real sure tho.

85gtsblackman
11-24-2008, 06:44 AM
i want a 1uz or a ls1 in my gts

oh and about carbs, yeah i can make my truck stupid fast n/a cause its carbbed

tuner4life
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't mind getting a muscle car, In fact I intend to at some point find an old Nova or Chevelle that I can build from the ground up. But right now I dont have the money to build one like I would want, or pay for gas to drive it, and since the turbo bug has bit me, I realize that the imports can be just as fast.

I will have a muscle car at some point, and it will be fast, but NEVER would I try to daily one, it's not worth the gas.

ciento44
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I like muscle better..... i just don't have the money or time to build what i want.

hobbie2k
11-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I personally just don't get carbs. I've tried adjusting them and rebuilding them and it always turns out ugly. Sure, it's probably easier for modification than an EFI computer setup, but for repair, give me EFI. I just have to find the bad part and replace it, the computer can handle adjustments...

NDMstang65
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Eh i've got them all...born and raised into muscle cars...family has built hot rods since the 40's and 50's.

It's just a new form of hot rodding, although it's starting to die as the 90's imports are fading away to fit's and bullshit electric cars... :(

VikingJZ
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I generally avoid American cars like the plague.

Muscle is where its at, except for the import scene.

I'm with Ben to some extent. I love muscle cars but don't have the time build one. Those engines are easier to work with.

I'm a Mopar guy. I've helped a friend and his dad work on some of their....six Mopars. Including a 70 Cuda AAR

My idea of a dream car is a bone stock 98 Supra TT red on tan/black, six speed, solid roof.

ciento44
11-24-2008, 05:06 PM
I luv me some Turd Gen Z28s....

kroggdor
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Its actually kind of funny. My dad(now 59) got me started on tuning and imports when I was in highschool. I modeled all my mods after him. He might be the coolest old guy out there when it comes to tuning and his honda accord. He's got great taste and did a great job on it. Very tasteful and he can afford volks. I know its a honda but he kept it nice. Check it out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/844150

ciento44
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Its actually kind of funny. My dad(now 59) got me started on tuning and imports when I was in highschool. I modeled all my mods after him. He might be the coolest old guy out there when it comes to tuning and his honda accord. He's got great taste and did a great job on it. Very tasteful and he can afford volks. I know its a honda but he kept it nice. Check it out.

If that car is truly a manual transmission car.....

Tell your dad i want to sex his car, and ask him to adopt me.

Awesome car, i would rock the hell out of that.

Ryan
11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
That is clean man!

METDeath
11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I really like what he did with the headlight assembly, looks a lot better!

Ghosty
11-25-2008, 12:18 AM
My Pa has owned his share of both... from a '72 Merc Cougar with a 351 Cleveland, to a Volkswagen Beetle.

He was a tech for the better part of two decades. You want to know his favorite car? I'll give you a hint, and it wasn't domestic.

In fact, he always says that he'd like to go back and buy a classic beetle. Not a convertible or a superbeetle, but a regular beetle. The kind you can drop the motor in 20 minutes.

Back in tech school in Kansas City, he ripped apart a beetle and reassembled it... in his apartment.

Even today he still favors imports, for ease of work, low-cost parts, abundance of replacement parts and reliability. The only bad thing about imports, he says, is that they tend to rust more than their American counterparts. And they do, to some extent.

His frame of reference on cars from the big three were primarily in the 80s and 90s. Maybe they've made progress since those days, but the cars that Detroit made, at least in that period, was less quality and engineering that wasn't as intelligent as it should have been.

Ghosty
11-25-2008, 12:19 AM

That's one hell of a clean ride, mang.

andy
11-25-2008, 03:45 AM
my dad did the muscle car thing when he was a kid, now he just built a 89 supra. HE swapped in a 1jz and all that jazz, i just wish i had the time and money he has to put into his cars. Ill take some pics of it when i go home next. Its all fresh. bushings, new leather inside, newstruts, everything! just got outa the paint booth. I think hes addicted to boost now. I think hes gonna get a 55 chevy and put a 2jz in it.

vip09
11-25-2008, 04:27 AM
my dad did the muscle car thing when he was a kid, now he just built a 89 supra. HE swapped in a 1jz and all that jazz, i just wish i had the time and money he has to put into his cars. Ill take some pics of it when i go home next. Its all fresh. bushings, new leather inside, newstruts, everything! just got outa the paint booth. I think hes addicted to boost now. I think hes gonna get a 55 chevy and put a 2jz in it.

Get some pics of your dad's supra and post them in multimedia. I haven't seen it since that time I came over and it had no engine in it.

joe's gt
11-25-2008, 05:31 AM
I think hes gonna get a 55 chevy and put a 2jz in it.

LOL. U just completely validated my anything in anything quote. Wow. I want to see that if it ever happens. I'd imagine a lot of custom fab for that swap. That would be sweet.

balang_479
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
im 19 and the first thing im gonna to when i finish my Mechanical Engineering course is to build a car from the ground up, some S chassis Nissan i think... its my long life dream..

joe's gt
11-28-2008, 04:22 AM
:stupid:

exact same scenario. ME major too. tis why I made this thread.

andy
11-28-2008, 08:08 AM
im also a ME major, i guess we live for cars. haha. how far along are you guys? Im in my forth year but only a junior, ive only been taking like 2 or 3 classes at a time.

usp45
11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
hmmm... I see myself being 60 years old and still driving 80s 90s sport compacts, when everyone else has flying cars n shit. I'm an eighties crack baby, I don't care what tech comes out, these are the cars I grew up with, and there is nothing would rather collect. So I can understand the nostalgic muscle car craze.

joe's gt
11-28-2008, 07:34 PM
fourth year senior. Engineering sux, but if u can make it thru, ur almost guaranteed to do well in life. U only use about 10% of what u learn according to other engineers I've talked to. Oh well, u can pretty much do anything u want if u have an engineering degree. I would love to work with cars, but there is not much here in cali in my area unfortunately. It'll be a tough decision in a year once I graduate. 5-year program. hells yeah.

I'm more of a early to late 90's sport compact guy. I know its cliche, but damn do I love the mkiv supra. The body could be a little better, but making a reliable 700 hp on stock internals on a 2jz. WOW. I also love the 300zx, but I also want the 2+2 seat configuration, and I don't know how hard the TT swap is into the NA model and whether its a reliable buildable engine or not. Have to do more researching. Just looking into a project car in the next 3-5 years when my job and home become stable.

Cavanagh
11-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Clean Honda, but not all people who grew up at that time buy Muscle cars, the guy who i test drove his alltrac is a Celica FANATIC. I didnt beleive it, but my dad was in the same class as him in high school and said he had an "old" Celica and it was small, i assumed he use to have a 1st gen, but its true! This guy has: 1st gen white Coupe, 2 ST185's, ST184 GTS, and a Tundra. It's what you like honestly, he grew up in that era and still loves Celicas! Which surprised me. I give him MAD props.

85gtsblackman
11-29-2008, 04:47 AM
id rather tune a carb then go get fuel injection reprogramed, each mod i do

case in point my truck

DblOSmith
12-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm a second gen Toyota guy. He had an Celica 82GT and a 86GTS :)