PDA

View Full Version : Sport Compact Car magazine is dead.

Ghosty
11-22-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/source-interlink-kills-i-sport-compact-car-i-laying-off-115/

We just got off the phone with one of our sources inside the Source Interlink monolith who informed us that some of Sport Compact Car's staff was laid off yesterday and that the February issue may be the last SCC you'll find on newsstands. The death of SCC follows Source Interlink's execution of Turbo earlier this year, and reports suggest that 115 employees inside the company have been given the boot and more titles could be axed in the future.

Sport Compact Car was the go-to title for gearheads obsessed with small displacement engines, forced induction, number crunching and the black arts of ECU and suspension tuning, with a dedicated focus on down-and-dirty tech, unique reviews, stellar writing and going fast on a budget. Both the page count and circulation numbers have dropped over the last five years, although according to our sources, ad revenue was up and distribution was holding steady.

On a personal note, SCC was the magazine that got this scribe hooked on driving and the finer points of air-to-fuel ratios, provided me with my first freelance gig and inspired me primarily through the writings of Dave Coleman, Josh Jacquot, Mike Kojima, Andy Hope, James Tate, John Pearley Huffman and Jared Holstein, among many others to pursue my dream of writing about cars. SCC will be sorely missed and the world is truly a worse place without it.

This is a sad day for the car hobby.

The magazine catered to many, many, dedicated readers who stayed with them for decades.

Ryan
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
This sucks! I heard "Turbo" mag was done too?

Ghosty
11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
That's what it says.

Magazines are driven by advertisement revenue. I heard HKS actually had a profit this year, but I'm willing to bet other aftermarket suppliers, as well as car makers, have scaled back advertising. There's no other explanation, but it's hard to believe... it seemed like such a solid magazine and a standout from "Super Street" and a plethora of lesser car rags.

You'd think it would be one of the last car mags to go under.

Kastigir
11-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I found SCC to be one of the best import tuning magazines out there. This is a sad day. Will they be offering refunds to those of us who had a subscription past February?

Ghosty
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Don't have a subscription myself, but I've found not a shred of anything on the sportscompactcarweb.com site that says anything about the magazine going under.

You might want to call customer/ subscriber services, if they have such an office. It might be listed in the magazine.

lburner
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
that sucks, o well i only buy import tuner anwayz

goretro77
11-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Thats too bad, it had some interesting articles.
I once appeared in there in a very small article for classic celica.com. I think my pic was about an inch or two by 1 inch in size. lol!

Colossus20v
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
i just renewed my subscription in October. It is a great magazine. Some months are better than others, but I really enjoyed the magazine and the project cars. I'm sad if this is true.

hyoctane
11-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I let my subscription expire once the new editing crew came along. I love the magazine, but I simply fell out of the "tuning" lifestyle and now I just keep up with the fluids and wash/wax. Meh, 7 1/2 years old and still going as strong as the day I drove it off the lot.

Chris
11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
That's sad. That was one of the better quality magazines out there. Import Tuner and the rest usually have very little actual tech info. Just models and advertisements disguised as review or feature articles.

Ryan
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I liked Turbo Mag a lot too.. They featured some badass cars!

Kastigir
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Received today
Dear Sport Compact Car Reader:

The March 2009 issue of Sport Compact Car will be the last issue published. The issue will be mailed on schedule.

The balance of your subscription will be served by Modified Magazine starting with the March 2009 issue which will be mailed to you in mid February.

Thank you for being a loyal subscriber.

Mike Colby
For Sport Compact Car

Ghosty
12-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Received today
Dear Sport Compact Car Reader:

The March 2009 issue of Sport Compact Car will be the last issue published. The issue will be mailed on schedule.

The balance of your subscription will be served by Modified Magazine starting with the March 2009 issue which will be mailed to you in mid February.

Thank you for being a loyal subscriber.

Mike Colby
For Sport Compact Car

They won't give you a refund? That's BS.

You didn't order Modified Magazine. You ordered Sport Compact Car. If you wanted Modified Magazine, that's what you would have ordered.

Lagos
12-27-2008, 07:24 PM
They won't give you a refund? That's BS.

You didn't order Modified Magazine. You ordered Sport Compact Car. If you wanted Modified Magazine, that's what you would have ordered.

the refund would probably work out to about 5-10bucks if you were already into the year. probably getting more by getting modified.

Ryan
12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Modified isnt too bad, although I personally like superstreet better.

david in germany
12-27-2008, 07:47 PM
The did that too with Car Audio & Electronics..

The Captain
12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
the refund would probably work out to about 5-10bucks if you were already into the year. probably getting more by getting modified.

Where else can you get bird cage liner for $5?!?

RedRkt01
12-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I've heard a little bit about this, but I don't know why they are going under. Can someone shine some light on the matter?