PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Dr Tweak
11-21-2008, 04:36 AM
http://www.autoclub.com.au/uploaded_images/hyundai-genesis-coupe-2010-793431.jpg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHyundai _Genesis_Coupe&ei=7xcmSZ2FOYjMmQes171h&usg=AFQjCNE1eHOtBuILHpVfc2ZG9T6ymFxAOQ&sig2=MNG88_RJWOE4gYwJJFVyPg

You guys seen this? It's supposed to come out this spring in the US, and one of the engine options is a 2.0 liter turbo. I've never been a big fan of Hyundai but they have been getting a lot better in the past several years. With Toyota not releasing anything really interesting that I've seen, I'm seriously considering picking one up when they come out...

Turbo upgrade... full mandrel-bent exhaust, intercooler upgrade...

What do you guys think?

Ryan
11-21-2008, 04:40 AM
I love them honestly. They look awesome and I know the sedans are really good, so the coupe should be awesome too!

Do it tweak man!

celicaGT90_05
11-21-2008, 04:42 AM
They've been advertising it like crazy, the power is crazy when you remember its hyundai. You're right, they have been getting better, I'd hit it

Dr Tweak
11-21-2008, 04:44 AM
The 2.0 Turbo is 223 hp and the 3.8 V6 is like 312. The 2.0 Turbo excites me more than the V6, if I got my hands on one of those.... :D

celicaGT90_05
11-21-2008, 04:46 AM
^ yeah I could have sworn they said more on the commercial, but it does look like a nice car

Ryan
11-21-2008, 04:50 AM
I know for a fact(i drove one) the v6 sedan, will break both rear wheels loose with 4 grown men in it, and leave 30 ft of black marks... just by punching it...

Apparently the v6 will do better burnouts than a v8.. But either way, imagine that power in something that weighs much less.

VikingJZ
11-21-2008, 04:53 AM
I'm still not sold on Hiyoonday.

I had a friend with a 2003 Tiburon and he babied the shit out of it.

Hes on some highway in Nebraska going to his grandparents house in SIXTH GEAR just cruising when the tranny just took a shit.

35k miles.

Had it towed to the nearest dealership and they said that sure its covered, but if it happens again, even in warranty, its his fault.

He completed his trip and turned the car back in for some Honda...still driving that.

Ive heard that about Kia and Hyundai warranty's more than once. A lot of times they wont honor shit.

Ryan
11-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Its a 10 year 100k mile warranty.. how isnt that good? I have personally dealt with the warranty work, and it is hard for a tech because the times usually suck(gm is much worse) and they always went out of there way at my work to uphold as much warranty work as possible. Sometimes even if it was slightly outta warranty.

85gtsblackman
11-21-2008, 05:53 AM
pends on the dealership

i had to fight subaru tooth and nail to fix stupid shit and my turbo

my 00 tiburon never gave me any problems and i put 45k on it so a total of 107k and i dogged the hell outtta that car

also 03 was the 1st year of that generation, never buy a 1st year generation of a car that had a all new engine and trans, i learned that with my subie

celicaGT90_05
11-21-2008, 06:03 AM
^ werd, it is very wise to not buy the 1st year, later years work out the kinks.

T-spoon
11-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Wow, I don't care for the sedan really at all, but that coupe is very very interesting. It would be like Toyota instead of being lame had made the tC RWD with a turbo or put the 3.5 V6 in it. What a difference that would have made.

85gtsblackman
11-21-2008, 06:16 AM
if the tc were rwd or awd toyota wouldnt be able to keep em in stock

GRUMPY514
11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
The sedan is nasty. Get the lexicon audio system if its avail in the coupe :)

Nicest audio system stock in almost all cars, only the Genesis and Bently put lexicon in their cars :)

MrWOT
11-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Genesis is the real deal, I took a good long look at the available details and it's a pretty good platform. Pretty smart if you ask me, release a now really solid line of cheap cars while the domestic market faith is very low. Good time to pick up a chunk of market share. Wonder if Toyota will respond because this directly affects their segment.....

tuner4life
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm still not sold on Hiyoonday.

I had a friend with a 2003 Tiburon and he babied the shit out of it.

Hes on some highway in Nebraska going to his grandparents house in SIXTH GEAR just cruising when the tranny just took a shit.

35k miles.

That's funny, the 6 speed in those is a Nissan trans. out of the sentra SE-R I do believe.

Anyways, I'd rock the hell out of one of those!! :bigthumbu

wrongboy
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Tweak - I think you should definitely look into this car. Uh, twin turbo 3.8 v6 anyone???

-wrongboy

METDeath
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Sad thing is... my girlfriends V6 Accord could probably keep up with the turbo model on the straight line.

And why is this in off topic? It's car chat, not real life drama or find me a new DD crap :lolhittin

Shadowlife25
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Thread moved to General.

T-spoon
11-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Sad thing is... my girlfriends V6 Accord could probably keep up with the turbo model on the straight line.

From a dig sir? RWD owns FWD. Plus, the thing about turbos is that you can pretty easily add a good chunk of HP/Torque, up to the limits of stock fuel for very little money. For just about $20k that's some serious bang for the buck.

Slider
11-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I know for a fact(i drove one) the v6 sedan, will break both rear wheels loose with 4 grown men in it, and leave 30 ft of black marks... just by punching it...

Apparently the v6 will do better burnouts than a v8.. But either way, imagine that power in something that weighs much less.

The V6 has shorter gear ratios, and it has a better weight distribution than the V8. A coupe model on the same chassis with a lighter engine should be very interesting.

METDeath
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
From a dig sir? RWD owns FWD. Plus, the thing about turbos is that you can pretty easily add a good chunk of HP/Torque, up to the limits of stock fuel for very little money. For just about $20k that's some serious bang for the buck.

Well, I did say keep up, not pass/beat. If I got one, I'd get the 6-speed, so there goes that loss of going through the auto trans right there. So in all honesty, it'd still be close, but the Hyundai would win either way.

Dr Tweak
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM
With only 223hp from the Genesis Turbo I wouldn't be surprised if the Accord V6 won... until the mods start happening that is :D

VikingJZ
11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
That's funny, the 6 speed in those is a Nissan trans. out of the sentra SE-R I do believe.

Anyways, I'd rock the hell out of one of those!! :bigthumbu

WHAT?!?!

I like the Genesis coupe and the style and all, just not sure of them yet.

They need the Tau v8 in it.

extremeskillz
11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
It does look interesting, maybe worth a test drive when it comes out!

METDeath
11-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, the Accord has 15.7 HP to 1 pound ratio, the turbo model has 15 HP to 1 pound... so it'd be slightly in favor of the Genesis, depending on gearing

hobbie2k
11-22-2008, 04:42 AM
WHAT?!?!

Apparently the Tau won't fit. Even though the Sedan and Coupe are based on the same platform, the coupe has been dramatically shortened, including the engine bay.

One thing I love about Ctech is the open minded and positive attitude we have to all things automotive, not just Toyotas. The Crown Vic forum I read tends to be a place for bashing anything that isn't a Ford or a body-on-frame American car (though they do have a lot of good info on Vics).

Ghosty
11-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Apparently the Tau won't fit. Even though the Sedan and Coupe are based on the same platform, the coupe has been dramatically shortened, including the engine bay.

One thing I love about Ctech is the open minded and positive attitude we have to all things automotive, not just Toyotas. The Crown Vic forum I read tends to be a place for bashing anything that isn't a Ford or a body-on-frame American car (though they do have a lot of good info on Vics).

When your favorite automaker abandons the sport compact market... you've got to get your kicks somewhere, right?

Ryan
11-22-2008, 05:45 AM
x2... wtf is up with that... lol.

Come on yota... do eet! Please!!!

cms-gt4
11-22-2008, 08:22 AM
The 2.0 is special partly due to the engine being shared with the Mitsu evo. The turbo is smaller, but they are saying that a cheap upgrade will to buy a used turbo from the evo guys who upgrade to something else.

Also, Toyota says that Hyundai is the company to be watching now.

extremeskillz
11-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Toyota should have never abandoned the Celica platform! Who knows, someday it may return but by then I'll be driving something else if they don't do something soon!

hobbie2k
11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Toyota should have never abandoned the Celica platform! Who knows, someday it may return but by then I'll be driving something else if they don't do something soon!

I would argue that canceling the Celica is potentially the best thing that could have happened to the platform. It will allow Toyota to comprehensively reinvent the car. Like Nissan and the 350Z, or Chevy and the Camaro.

I'd like to see a return of the classic Celicas. Not necessarily retro, but RWD, with performance to compare to the Genesis Coupe, or the forthcoming Nissan sub-Z sports coupe (SX, Silvia, Foria?).

Dr Tweak
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM

True THAT.

When your favorite automaker abandons the sport compact market... you've got to get your kicks somewhere, right?

I can't say I could have worded it better.

I would argue that canceling the Celica is potentially the best thing that could have happened to the platform. It will allow Toyota to comprehensively reinvent the car. Like Nissan and the 350Z, or Chevy and the Camaro.

I wish that would be the case, but considering Toyota was planning on rebadging a Subaru and calling it a Celica, I don't have my hopes up.

-Doc

Ghosty
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh wait, I forgot, Toyota didn't abandon sports compact market.

There's always the...*snicker*... Scion... *snicker*... TC!!!!

... sorry, I just can't mention "TC" and "sports compact" and not snicker a little.

METDeath
11-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd like to a return to the 1st Gen styling... like the liftback >.> Similar size, but 200ish+ HP

cms-gt4
11-22-2008, 05:50 PM
About the TC. Rumor has it that the next TC will actually be the Toyuburu that we have been reading about.

According to our inside source, Toyota officials in the U.S. confirmed that the affordable RWD coupe will indeed arrive in the States in late-2010 / early-2011 as the new Scion TC. Further details weren't provided but from what we know up until now, both the Toyota / Scion and Subaru variants of the two-seater compact coupe will get an all-new platform with power coming from a new 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine producing around 200HP.

Toyota officials also told our source that the iQ minicar will be heading to the States as the latest addition to the Scion line-up. Even though it is apparent that the iQ and the RWD TC will target a different segment of the young or young-at-heart audience, company officials are certain that both vehicles will do their part to spice-up the Scion brand's youthful / hip image.

MrWOT
11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
To be honest what I would really love to see is some brains from Ford. If they dumped the new EcoBoost 4 into the awd focus I'd get one. Even if it is as ugly as sin.... I'm kind of biased now though, impossible to live up here without awd/4wd in the winter :hehe:

90CelicaST
11-22-2008, 07:15 PM
About the TC. Rumor has it that the next TC will actually be the Toyuburu that we have been reading about.
Toyota has already said that it will only hit the US as a Subie though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Koreans have gotten their allocation of the new 2009 Hyundai Genesis Coupes and it seems like one customer felt his Genesis Coupe could push the limits a little more than he thought possible. Needless to say that he learned the hard way by crashing into the concrete base of a metal light pole.
As you can see from the images, the 2.0T Genesis Coupe you see here was the only car involved in the accident leading us to believe that the driver lost control and the Brembo brakes of the Genesis weren’t strong enough to slow him down.

What’s more interesting is that the airbags failed to deploy. You can see that the front driver side received the most damage. Wonder what Hyundai has to say about this.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/hyundaigenesiscoupe1accident.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/hyundaigenesiscoupe5accident.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/hyundaigenesiscoupe6accident.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/hyundaigenesiscoupe7accident.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/hyundaigenesiscoupe10accident.jpg

T-spoon
11-23-2008, 01:58 AM
He hit something else or something else hit him before it came to rest against that pole. The damage makes no sense whatsoever as a solo pole collision.

Edit: Oh. Nevermind.. looks like it was probably dragged to get it out of the way of traffic or something. :shrug:

Ghosty
11-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Toyota has already said that it will only hit the US as a Subie though.

In that case, we'll just have to do a JDM conversion ;)

Grey-import car, anyone?

Slider
11-23-2008, 09:22 AM
WHAT?!?!

I went to their driving event where I could push them all the way on a go kart course and the V6 version handled and felt better around the corners. Too bad it wasn't timed but I'm pretty sure I could have pulled better times with the V6 if it was timed.

hobbie2k
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Perhaps the V6 version has a different suspension setup, or maybe the V6 really is lighter than the turbo 4 (though I doubt it)...