PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

RIalltrac
11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I dont post here much, I've been a little removed from the "scene" as it would be called for a year or two now. Some people know me, others dont, but I just want to say thank you for having a warm community thats not interested in being a bunch of ignorant smug assholes. Long story short, the wifey has an 01 VW Jetta w/1.8T motor....the thing is a nightmare. I do all my own work on cars, I try to understand as much as I can about them and when I dont understand something I ask questions or do what I can to get the most accurate information available so that people with a better understanding of my platform can push me in the right direction. VW's being the electrical nightmares that they are, are finicky little beasts. I despise all dealers....lets just get that out of the way right now. So with VW there is a private company that has a diagnostic software that you can purchase, its pricey but makes sense for certain people, that does a great job with pinpointing issues. Down to which cylinder is misfiring....its pretty cool. Well I was having issues with the jetta's check engine light always being on, I sourced out a local guy that had the software had him run a scan for me, and the end result was to replace the cars MAF. Replaced it, light goes off for like 5 days.....and its back on. So I call that same guy up again to run me another scan, different results....so I go on vwvortex to inquire in a forum that is desigined to specifically deal with issues and scans using this software......These people are worthless, all they want you to do is read worthless links about fuel trims (one of my issues is that the engine is running rich) which was very generic and pointed a finger at vacuum leaks (lean conditions) and the MAF (rich conditions). Well I've got no vacuum leaks and a brand new MAF. Also on my scan I was having intermitent misfires in all 4 cylinders. So one of the questions I posed was about the coils and how they're controlled and how I can track down the problems. These people are just too smug to answer questions. Instead their posting is more aimed at me being a problem because I dont want to run around town with a laptop plugged into my OBDII so I can tell them what % my rich condition is......Ok I'm not a genious....but if I'm running rich....does it really matter how rich? All I asked for was a general consensus of what could cause rich conditions and things of the like...you know like bad coils misfiring and allowing unburnt fuel to trigger a false rich condition....no response...just that I'm not willing to do the tests neccessary. Well since I dont own the software, which I made a known situation, I cant just run around town with someone elses laptop. So all in all I've found that not all communities are built the same. Some are actually interested in helping, others are just button pushers who dont know a single thing about what they're talking about. Just reading answers from a book. So to everyone who posts something useful on this site. Thank You.

extremeskillz
11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
So where have you been? Did you ever fix that clutch on your alltrac? You missed the ctech meet this past summer. It's was a great turn out!

RIalltrac
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Living life....bought a house, had a kid, moneys tight. I have the parts to fix the car(technically Jeremy has them), just havent really been able to do it. Plus once its fixed, I cant really afford to keep two cars on the road right now. My truck, while an enormous POS, is my main stay right now. I'll have it back out there some day, not sure when though. Its not going anywhere thats for sure.

Conrad_Turbo
11-20-2008, 08:03 PM
you know like bad coils misfiring and allowing unburnt fuel to trigger a false rich condition

It's actually the other way around, a misfire (not allowing the air/fuel to burn in the cylinder) will cause the O2 sensor to read lean due to the abudance of oxygen. :D

extremeskillz
11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Living life....bought a house, had a kid, moneys tight. I have the parts to fix the car(technically Jeremy has them), just havent really been able to do it. Plus once its fixed, I cant really afford to keep two cars on the road right now. My truck, while an enormous POS, is my main stay right now. I'll have it back out there some day, not sure when though. Its not going anywhere thats for sure.

Good to hear you still alive and doing well, lol! Good luck on the vw and i must agree they are a pain work on but they are a great cars when running 100%.

sheep
11-21-2008, 06:13 AM
you could get rid of the vw and get a toyota.......................

...................... just a thought

Luni
11-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Those things love to toast coil packs man. Ive had to deal with it personally on 1.8t motors.

If you havent replaced coil packs that might be your problem.

Thanks for the props. We do try and be as helpful as possible. I for one know how it goes when youre trying to figure something out and youre doing it first time.

CriScO
11-21-2008, 08:00 AM
For the record, I'm totally an ignorant smug asshole!

RIalltrac
11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
It's actually the other way around, a misfire (not allowing the air/fuel to burn in the cylinder) will cause the O2 sensor to read lean due to the abudance of oxygen. :D

See now that would have been a fantastic reply on that forum....too bad the best I could get was the admin posting some queer dialog from the simpsons to mock me instead....

RIalltrac
11-21-2008, 02:32 PM
you could get rid of the vw and get a toyota.......................

...................... just a thought

Oh trust me.....the thought has come and gone many many times....I unfortunately was not involved in the overall decision to buy the car......I'm obviously biased towards toyota....hell even a honda would have been better.

RIalltrac
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
For the record, I'm totally an ignorant smug asshole!

Well I mean every site has to have them right?

joking......maybe

Conrad_Turbo
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
See now that would have been a fantastic reply on that forum....too bad the best I could get was the admin posting some queer dialog from the simpsons to mock me instead....

Welcome back buddy! :D