PDA

View Full Version : celica steering knuckle problems...

zmile06
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Just thought i would post up my week long adventure... Wheel bearing went bad... Took chunks out of the steering knuckle out, METAL CHUNKS. So i go to the junk yard... They give me a 4 lug hub... Put it on without noticing go me. Then i come back tomorrow they check for 2 hours no hub. THEN i go to another junk yard first hub they gave me was bad... Second one stiff because it had been sitting in a trailer a long time. Put it on and i get a horrible horrible grinding noise. Trouble shoot it for 2 hours figure out it's the part they gave me, it's just worn to hell or something... The bearing is good it's just not moving good.

So i'm going to drive on this grinding noise until i can find a "good" hub, or see if this one by a miracles chance just grinds whatever it's problem is away. I called 10 junk yards in Dayton Ohio... I'm not hitting up junk yards 50-60 miles away. HOPING they don't just give me something completely useless also.

Oh by the way i forgot to throw in that my "autozone" axle's use a smaller axle nut then OEM. So i have to buy a whole new axle just because i could not find a 4 dollar nut. After a week i'm about to put a bullet in the head of the car and call it a day. I have put motors in cars quicker then this. Junkyards here are so unreliable it's ridiculous. I'm never buying auto zone mechanical parts AGAIN.

celicaGT90_05
11-19-2008, 11:48 PM
well, I know of some celica's in local yards, but you're about an hour away arent you?

zmile06
11-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm in dayton... I most likely will drive an hour to get the part... If you know of any places with the celicas let me know... I've been using car-parts.com to find them.

Galcobar
11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Is it your original knuckle or the hub which is damaged?

Even in the front, the hub can be removed from the knuckle, so if the hub itself is still good you can swap it from one knuckle to another, though it will require replacing two oil seals in the hub.

zmile06
11-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Is it your original knuckle or the hub which is damaged?

Even in the front, the hub can be removed from the knuckle, so if the hub itself is still good you can swap it from one knuckle to another, though it will require replacing two oil seals in the hub.

The knuckle is the damaged part, there is metal missing in it. But I'm not putting too much faith in the hub either... The thing is i paid 75 for it WITH a working wheel bearing. And i'm not every sure this one is a good hub or knuckle it's making a horrible grinding noise.