PDA

View Full Version : Introduction...and a couple general questions...

balb1427
11-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Hey all...

I'm brand new to the celica world, as I have had my celica for 40 hours.. :wiggle:

I think I got a pretty good deal. It is a 1990 Toyota Celica GT Red. I purchased it for $1300....HOWEVER
It requires(ed) some maintenance.

1. New windshield [x] $200
2. New Clutch [ ] $145 for Clutch (brings me to my question..)
3. Grease front axles...[ ] $???

Questions
1. Clutch is brutal. Slips like none other, and stinks...BAD..My friend claims it smells like burnt macaroni and cheese? :wtf:
My friend, My dad, and myself are planning on doing the clutch ourselves. Do you think we can do it? My friend and his dad replaced his clutch in his 1999 Mx-5, so I'm going to have him help us along.
I am going to purchase an extremely detailed manual, and we will pick a
weekend, and just take our time, follow instructions, and be very patient.
I feel like we can do it, and its worth saving the total of $700 to have the
shop do it.
http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/16-072.shtml
Thats the clutch I am planning to buy...any other suggestions? (its hard to beat the price, as money is tight for me)

2. Grease the axles? Is this a fairly simple task? not really sure all that much that goes into it.

As for pictures, they will come soon enough. It is totally stock and I have some plans, but who knows what will happen....

({({Sorry if I didn't put this in the right place, I wasn't totally sure. I looked around and didn't see any other introductions**)**)**)**)**)

only picture I have right now...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/Balb1427/celica1.jpg
paint is bad/faded on a lot of the car...IDK what I'm going to do with that. I'll probably just keep it...who knows..

Shadowlife25
11-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Welcome to Celica Tech, and congrats on your purchase! :)

The axles (CV acles) are sealed, so you shouldn't need to grease anything except the wheel bearings if you so wish.

The clutch should take you about 7 hours start to finish. It is definitely doable if you have some patience and basic mechanical know-how. :)

As for a detailed manual, you're at it. We are the only site on the net that has the Factory Service Manuals. They are located on the front page under BGB's. This is because they are commonly called the "Big Green Book" due to their color. ;)

-Mario

celicaGT90_05
11-17-2008, 06:08 AM
The clutch smells that way because of it slipping, its heating up and burning the friction material. You may be able to get the windshield done cheaper if you look around, I had mine done for $100 overall, had to get the glass and have it installed.

On the clutch job, when putting it back together everything should go together fairly easily, its quite a task to do at home though, but possible. Having someone experienced will be a big plus

balb1427
11-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Windshield was done today...Thanks all for the quick response.
If i can't find the BGB (which I assume I can) I'll let you know ;)

I am to assume that even though it says 1993.. it applies to a 1990?

Ryan
11-17-2008, 06:16 AM
If you really want to grease them you can get a needle for the grease gun ind do it by just sticking it through the boot and doing it.

As for the clutch, you might also check South Bend Clutch. They are usually very reasonable and make a great product.

Welcom to celicatech, and good luck.

Shadowlife25
11-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Windshield was done today...Thanks all for the quick response.
If i can't find the BGB (which I assume I can) I'll let you know ;)

I am to assume that even though it says 1993.. it applies to a 1990?

1990 to 1993 is the 5th generation production run, so yes. :)

balb1427
11-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

I think I'm still going to get the Haynes book, because it has actual pictures. And I can use the service manual to aid me along the way.

Just thought of another question.. What are the chances of my clutch being totally burned up on the road? If i just keep it from the point where it is slipping (3k RPM) should I be ok?

Ryan
11-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Just baby it until you can get it replaced....As long as you dont beat it, it should be ok.

Shadowlife25
11-17-2008, 06:29 AM
The clutch smells that way because of it slipping, its heating up and burning the friction material. You may be able to get the windshield done cheaper if you look around, I had mine done for $100 overall, had to get the glass and have it installed.

On the clutch job, when putting it back together everything should go together fairly easily, its quite a task to do at home though, but possible. Having someone experienced will be a big plus

If I pulled the motor/tranny in 3 hours by myself, I'm sure it can be done with one experienced guy and 2 helpers.

Just follow the directions in the BGB step by step, and you'll be fine. You'll get to really know the working of your car, have first-hand experience and save a boatload of money.

If you honestly feel that this may be beyond your skill level though, have a shop take care of it and call it a day.

balb1427
11-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks a bunch for the quick responses.

I'll be in touch...Have to get the celi registered tomorrow...have to drive the big green machine tomorrow (1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme)

Thanks again
~Brian

It may be over my head...but nothing some patience shouldn't fix...I need to work on that anyways :wiggle:

Shadowlife25
11-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

I think I'm still going to get the Haynes book, because it has actual pictures. And I can use the service manual to aid me along the way.

Just thought of another question.. What are the chances of my clutch being totally burned up on the road? If i just keep it from the point where it is slipping (3k RPM) should I be ok?

I honestly wouldn't waste the money on a Hanes manual. The BGB has detailed technical drawings that are perfectly clear, and you can print out the sections you need.

VikingJZ
11-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Welcome!

I would have talked the guy down lower, but I'm the master of finding great cars for super cheap.

I would replace the axles if your budget permits.

Find a good windshield at a salvage yard and take it to a body shop to put a new seal on for you. Cheapest way to do it.

Clutch isn't horrible, just make sure you have someone to help.

Your paint is single stage. Just polish and wax it and it will look much better.

gerby77
11-17-2008, 07:56 AM
i would say welcome from the Netherlands.
Lots of happy hours, days, weeks, months, years ;-)

celica91gts
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
exdey clutches good quality. i have one, and i drive pretty spiritedly. just gotta make sure to break it in properly. as for your clutch right now 92-gt is right. baby it till you are ready to have your new clutch installed. just avoid big hills. may i suggest while having the tranny out you might as well up grade to a lighter flywheel if you are looking for a little bit more fun? if you plan to use your stock flywheel you may want to think about getting it resurfaced. (costs about 30$ at a machine shop) in case your stock one is warped.

balb1427
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I honestly wouldn't waste the money on a Hanes manual. The BGB has detailed technical drawings that are perfectly clear, and you can print out the sections you need.

I guess I was looking at the wrong thing, because the part I was looking at was all words.... :squint:

Shadowlife25
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/90alltrac/MT/MT.htm

it is for the AllTrac, but the procedure is pretty much identical. You just won't have the transfer case on the tranny. It is actually much simpler in your case. :)

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/90alltrac/CL/CL.htm

This is just the clutch portion. :)

-Mario

balb1427
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/90alltrac/MT/MT.htm

it is for the AllTrac, but the procedure is pretty much identical. You just won't have the transfer case on the tranny. It is actually much simpler in your case. :)

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/90alltrac/CL/CL.htm

This is just the clutch portion. :)

-Mario

Thanks, but the main thing I don't know how to do, and am most worried about, is getting to the transmission and the clutch....as in the steps to disassemble the car to get to the transmission (like a descriptive guide: 1. jack car up, 2. pop hood)

Sorry...i just dont want to have too many troubles, and want to know exactly what to do... :(

celica91gts
11-18-2008, 12:08 AM
from what i can remember...

1. pop the hood
2. remove intake, disconect any wires in the way
3. remove starter
4. loosen lug nuts on both sides
5. jack the car up and set on jack stands
6. take the front tires off.
7. remove axels (this is a bitch because there are so many reinforcements)
8. unbolt tranny. while at this point be sure to check if you need to replace the rear main.

it's foggy from here on... sorry. it should be self explanitory once you get the tranny off though. just remve the clutch and flywheel if you plan to replace the flywheel with a different one. and put the new one on, remember to align it too.

balb1427
11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
More bad news.......

We took it to get a safety inspection today and found out more problems. The rear brake drums have issues. The driver's side is simply a leak, but the passenger side leaks onto the shoe. To replace it all it will cost $300.

Once again...I would prefer to do it myself, but is it an easy enough fix to do myself? or would just dealing with the fluid be too much of a hassle?

celicaGT90_05
11-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Well wheres it leaking? Passenger side sounds like its probably the cylinder. If you can crack the lines free its a simple enough task, but you gotta be careful not to kink the lines.

Murgatroy
11-18-2008, 02:41 AM
It takes like 10 minutes to replace a wheel cylinder.

Ryan
11-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Try replacing the cylinders(which should be rather cheap), and I would recommend doing both sides. Also, while you are at it, if the shoes need replaced, you might as well do that along with the spring kit.

To make it all easier, do it one side at a time so you can use the other side as a visual aid to see where each component goes.

If it is not the cylinders, you may have to replace the lines...Which isnt too hard to do.

balb1427
11-18-2008, 02:51 AM
The description the owner of the store gave (dobbs is the name of the store)
was very vague, but he said that brake dust has accumulated on top of the brake fluid. He didn't say exactly where the leak was.

Forgot to mention before....I'll give the basic story line:
Brought to Dobbs#1 for pre-purchase inspection
Results: New Clutch/ New Windshield/ and axles replaced
We fixed the windshield, but we needed a safety inspection to get the car registered (it is insured as of today)
Took it to Dobbs #2 for safety inspection.
Results: New Clutch/ 3rd Brake Light needed/ Rear brakes need replacing..

OK THIS IS REDICULOUS....(thinks to self)...people alrel always trying to make a skeet buck.

Do you guys have any idea what could possibly be going on?

(sorry for my rant)

We took the car back to Dobbs #1 for another safety inspection and should have the results tomorrow. If the brakes are still a problem, we will try to fight that Dobbs #1 should have told us the brakes were bad during the pre-purchase, and maybe they could give us a better price than Dobbs#2

Ryan
11-18-2008, 02:59 AM
I would just do it yourself...It isnt very hard at all, or you could convert to all wheel disc...

balb1427
11-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I would just do it yourself...It isnt very hard at all, or you could convert to all wheel disc...

I was reading about that, but it seemed more expensive than having dobbs replace it.

Ryan
11-18-2008, 03:07 AM
You could do it man, go to a junkyard and find the rear disc brakes and there you go...no big deal

balb1427
11-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I'll keep that in mind.
But...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=1725+11785+4294965617+9182

which Brake Master Cylinder would I need?

Ryan
11-18-2008, 04:20 AM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=1725%2B11785%2B4294965617&Ntt=wheel+cylinder

That is what you need

andy
11-18-2008, 04:27 AM
move to alabama, no saftey anything, no emmissions.

balb1427
11-18-2008, 05:59 AM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=1725%2B11785%2B4294965617&Ntt=wheel+cylinder

That is what you need

Thanks, Do you assume that, that will fix the leak and can make my car pass safety inspection? or will i need more things. If more, could you fill me in?

Ryan
11-18-2008, 06:16 AM
I think that should do it.. Just replace both sides, and shoes/springs if needed.

balb1427
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Is the Second part for the BGB not working?

Because in the BGB I cannot find the brakes...Any ideas?

balb1427
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
anyways...I've started replacing my clutch and will do a write-up when I'm finshed.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37815

Theres the project link, and I'll have a write-up hopefully By the weekend.