PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Supra...any advice?

supra97
11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey guys! I've been without a car for too long so I've decided to look into the MKIV Supra. Anybody on here own one or knowledgable about them?

They're selling fairly cheap NAs up here, I would love to have a TT but they're a bit too expensive still. The automatic TTs are about the same as the NAs, but I'd prefer the manual. Do you think it's worth buying the NA or should I just wait longer and go for the TT instead?

Any reccommendations, advice, comments, concerns, flames, or otherwise?

ciento44
11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Get an Automatic TT, they're awesome.

If you don't want that, then just wait and get a manual TT.

burnyd
11-13-2008, 09:22 PM
get a auto NA, buy a TT Clip it will be worth it.

or if your looking to not make a ton of power, just buy the 5speed NA and boost it.

Colossus20v
11-13-2008, 09:32 PM
get what you want. If you dont have the funds wait until you do.

ciento44
11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Just remember, the fastest supras are autos!

mr2trd3
11-13-2008, 10:07 PM
get a auto NA, buy a TT Clip it will be worth it.

or if your looking to not make a ton of power, just buy the 5speed NA and boost it.

From my understanding, the conversion from a NA or even an auto TT to a six-speed TT is not so easy as a drop in. It will require tons of modification which is why you don't see very many conversions as such. Moreover, a converted Supra will never have the same value as an original TT six-speed.

mr2trd3
11-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Just remember, the fastest supras are autos!

The fastest cars are domestics. My point is, six-speed Supra's is where it's at.

mr2trd3
11-13-2008, 10:08 PM
get what you want. If you dont have the funds wait until you do.

+1. Never settle just because you can't wait. You'll always regret it.

mr2trd3
11-13-2008, 10:11 PM
To the OP, since you live in Canada and can import Jap cars, I would imagine Supra's to be a bit more common then here in the US. I don't know how the market is like in Canada, but the six-speed TT Supra is holding its value pretty well here. Even the Auto TT are still expensive. The only affordable MKIV Supra here is the NA auto. When I say affordable, I mean affordable to the typical Joe the plumber who still mods his Celica. Nonetheless, I'd own a Supra TT six-speed if I could. I will someday when I'm completely done with school.

Ryan
11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
The automatic in the TT's are extremely strong.

One person you may want to talk to about the supra is vikingjz. He owns a lexus sc300 which is based off of the supra chassis and has the same engine as it.

He is very knowledgeable about it and could most likely answer andy of your questions.

If i were in your position, I would most likely go for a TT automatic. The transmission will hold up to a lot of power.

ciento44
11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Dump a powerglide on that sucker.

Ryan
11-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Please dont...........lol

Hiko
11-13-2008, 11:01 PM
If I were you, I'd just buy a N/A 5spd. You've already said you prefer manual, and if you're not planning on making too much power with the car, then there is little justification in going auto over manual. If you want to turbo it later on, there is a huge base of knowledge on how to do so on supraforums.com. You might also be able to find a decent ride on there.

Good luck! And I expect to see pictures when you get one.

burnyd
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
From my understanding, the conversion from a NA or even an auto TT to a six-speed TT is not so easy as a drop in. It will require tons of modification which is why you don't see very many conversions as such. Moreover, a converted Supra will never have the same value as an original TT six-speed.

yes that is true but, look at how much TT Native supra 6 speeds go for! Then see what happens when your ash tray breaks and someone wants 200 dollars for a ash tray.....

I think she is looking to pick up a supra for kicks not something original worth tons of money.....

But as far as the clip it should provide everything needed to do the swap.

supra97
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I am looking for power but I just don't like automatics...I love the sound of a manual's exhaust while being thrown through its gears, and the absolute control you have over the car. I understand you have to be quite adept with your shifting to get the kind of acceleration out of a manual that an automatic gets, but I understood also that there was some power loss associated with automatics, in the transmission itself. That true?

The NAs...are they really slow or would they boot around pretty good? Because the way I see it...I'm getting a car either way, and in the future someday I'll get my dream car which will be a 6 speed TT supra...so why not have a lesser one now and enjoy that for the years to come? It's kind of like getting a Celica GT-S over an Alltrac...you get what you can afford but it doesn't necessarily mean it sucks. Opinions?

MrWOT
11-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Advice? Get a MkIII and swap a 2jz into it, it's VERY easy. The MkIV platform isn't stable enough to use that engine the right way :squint:

Know the old joke? What do a 300hp, a 500hp and a 700hp supra have in common?

They all run 12s!

Yeah, the MkIV brought that joke into existance :hehe: it's a noodle.

supra97
11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
To the OP, since you live in Canada and can import Jap cars, I would imagine Supra's to be a bit more common then here in the US. I don't know how the market is like in Canada, but the six-speed TT Supra is holding its value pretty well here. Even the Auto TT are still expensive. The only affordable MKIV Supra here is the NA auto. When I say affordable, I mean affordable to the typical Joe the plumber who still mods his Celica. Nonetheless, I'd own a Supra TT six-speed if I could. I will someday when I'm completely done with school.

Yes, they are more common here. Especially now that they are 15 years old. We can't import cars until they are 15 years old or older. Anyway, the importers around here have gotten a bunch and they are dropping in price steadily. NA Supras are going for about 11-13000, Auto TTs the same, and Manual TTs 18000 and up. Some are modded, mostly aesthetics, but some are stock too. Beautiful...all of them. Go have a look at AutoTrader.ca and check them out.

supra97
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Advice? Get a MkIII and swap a 2jz into it, it's VERY easy. The MkIV platform isn't stable enough to use that engine the right way :squint:

They all run 12s!

LOL

Anyway...not interested in the MKIII. It's the beauty of the MKIV that drew me in, yes it's a love affair based on looks. The MKIIIs are sexy cars in their own right but the MKIVs are where its at for me. As far as power goes, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother modding a Supra to get as much HP out of it as possible. Waste of time for me.

DaneDog311
11-13-2008, 11:32 PM
On a Manual Turbo car it's fun to hold boost from a low speed in 5th gear to feel how hard it can pull... plus you can downshift into corners to slow down rather then brake...

On A Auto Turbo car... there's no turbo lag except for the initial holeshot... it shifts at full psi if you keep the hammer down...

It's really a preference thing on transmissions... Now if it's NA... get a manual

celica91gts
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
honestly i may get stoned for saying this but i think the mk3 looks way better then the mk4.

Nightfire
11-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I know of somebody in Mississippi that is selling one right now, I don't have any details right now though.

supra97
11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm looking for Canada only, sorry but it's too complicated getting it imported myself. There are a few importers up here that can find me the car I want for the right price so I'm going to be going through them.

I'm thinking I'll most likely go for the NA manual...it's going to be a daily driver anyway so might as well stick with something that doesn't necessarily need to boot around THAT fast. Last thing I need is another ticket :S.

Thanks for your help guys, always appreciated.

Ryan
11-14-2008, 12:28 AM
You better post mics as soon as you get it:)

85gtsblackman
11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
im crazy too i like the way the mk3 looks over the mk4 supra, but then u c what i drive :hehe:

mr2trd3
11-14-2008, 01:44 AM
But as far as the clip it should provide everything needed to do the swap.

As I said before, doing a conversion on a NA or auto Supra to be like a true TT six-speed will require custom work that even a front clip won't do. It's not a simple drop in. It's about as complicated as doing a 2JZ-GTE swap into an SC300 or IS300.

mr2trd3
11-14-2008, 01:48 AM

They all run 12s!

A 2JZ swap into a MKIII Supra is simply ridiculous. Firstly, the MA70 chassis is ugly. Secondly, the MA70 chassis is heavy. Thirdly, the MA70 chassis is not as refined as the JZA80. Lastly, it's NOT an easy swap. One of my good buddies has a MKIII with a 2JZ-GTE. He's spent roughly $20,000 on it and it's still not running like a $20,000 MKIV would. Even at 400rwhp and 400rwftlb torque, that car is a pig.

Also...you've got that joke all wrong. It goes, what's the difference between an 11sec Supra and an 11sec MR2? 300rwhp.

mr2trd3
11-14-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm looking for Canada only, sorry but it's too complicated getting it imported myself. There are a few importers up here that can find me the car I want for the right price so I'm going to be going through them.

I'm thinking I'll most likely go for the NA manual...it's going to be a daily driver anyway so might as well stick with something that doesn't necessarily need to boot around THAT fast. Last thing I need is another ticket :S.

Thanks for your help guys, always appreciated.

I'd say hold out until you can afford a true six-speed TT. I'm quite confident an NA (auto or 5speed) will feel much the same as a Lexus SC300 and probably not even as nice as the Lexus IS300. I can't say about the auto TT, but you've already decided against the slush box. Good for you.

eatdirt40
11-14-2008, 02:02 AM
This is a dreamer thread anyway. From the sounds of it the OP has never driven a manual???

5 e-dollars, OP will never get a MK4 supra.

MrWOT
11-14-2008, 02:19 AM
A 2JZ swap into a MKIII Supra is simply ridiculous. Firstly, the MA70 chassis is ugly. Secondly, the MA70 chassis is heavy. Thirdly, the MA70 chassis is not as refined as the JZA80. Lastly, it's NOT an easy swap. One of my good buddies has a MKIII with a 2JZ-GTE. He's spent roughly $20,000 on it and it's still not running like a $20,000 MKIV would. Even at 400rwhp and 400rwftlb torque, that car is a pig.

Also...you've got that joke all wrong. It goes, what's the difference between an 11sec Supra and an 11sec MR2? 300rwhp.

Where DO you get your information :??:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66984

It's fairly easy. Even a beginner could manage it in the weekend with all the parts, there IS no hard part except procuring the parts, maybe adapting the harness, but premade kits for that too.

If you're buddy has dropped 20k into his car and it's as described, he's not qualified to build a car, or drive one if he can't make it fast with 400rwhp. :squint:

Also, the mkiii and mkiv weigh almost the same

1537 kg (3389 lb) (manual)
1595 kg (3516 lb) (automatic)

vs.

1460 kg (3219 lb) (non-turbo)
1581 kg (3486 lb) {turbo**

For the added strength and stability, the mkiii chassis is far superior.

As for ugly, I think it's purdy :)

celica91gts
11-14-2008, 02:31 AM

lol? i guess my opinion differs from you about which chassis looks better. but what you say about the mk3 chassis being heavy.... yes your right its a heavy car, but its around the same as the mk4, its 100lbs less actually. i've read of supra's getting built 3sgte swap to improve the handling of the car because its so unbalanced. the mk4 is not THAT high and mighty over a 2jz swaped mk3.

T-spoon
11-14-2008, 02:38 AM

What???? No. No. No. Nonono. Almost all of that is wrong.

The chassis being ugly is an opinion ( a wrong one)

The chassis is heavy, sure, but so is the MKIV chassis. There isn't a whollllle lot of weight difference there.

It's an older chassis, but it's more stable. The number of MKIVs that have not been wrecked from the back end pulling control from the driver is horrendous. It's a harder car to drive, especially the more power you add. Period. Yes the MKIV chassis has tons of performance capability, but it also takes a lot more of a driver, which is not so great in traffic and bad weather.

I have daily driven both a 450 WHP MKIV and a 360 WHP 7MGTE MKIII, and while the MKIV certainly screams because it's a better motor (more responsive, etc.) the MKIII is not a pig, and if your friend's is, it is in SERIOUS need of tuning.

The 2j swap into a MKIII should not cost 20k. IF you take off the twins and put on a single and use a 1Jz bellhousing with the MKIII tranny... it's not anywhere close to $20k. Using the Getrag is just a bad idea. It's an OUTSTANDING transmission. I love how it shifts, it's incredible, but it's not worth cutting on your tunnel and spending almost an extra 5-10 grand to use it instead of a beefed up MA70 5speed.

*bottom line is that a properly set up 2jzgte MKIII supra is a smokin car. Yeah, I think MKIVs look great, but I'd rather have my MKIII with a 2j in it, I feel much safer.

Ryan
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
And t-spoon shows 'em what is up!!! lol

While I do like the mkIV style better, the mkIII is on par with it.

T-spoon
11-14-2008, 02:49 AM
To the OP. It sounds to me like you'd be happy enough with a 5speed NA MKIV. If you want the looks, that's the way to go. They aren't fast, but they move out of their own way alright, and more importantly, you can find one that hasn't been beaten on as hard and/or wrecked already... and also.. have a lower chance of wrecking it yourself. You get some power in that chassis and you literally have to fight with it under certain conditions. Doesn't sound like something you'd enjoy.

T-spoon
11-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Where DO you get your information :??:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66984

It's fairly easy. Even a beginner could manage it in the weekend with all the parts, there IS no hard part except procuring the parts, maybe adapting the harness, but premade kits for that too.

If you're buddy has dropped 20k into his car and it's as described, he's not qualified to build a car, or drive one if he can't make it fast with 400rwhp. :squint:

Also, the mkiii and mkiv weigh almost the same

1537 kg (3389 lb) (manual)
1595 kg (3516 lb) (automatic)

vs.

1460 kg (3219 lb) (non-turbo)
1581 kg (3486 lb) {turbo**

For the added strength and stability, the mkiii chassis is far superior.

As for ugly, I think it's purdy :)
:lolhittin Oopse I missed this reply, so mine can be summed up basically as..

:stupid:

mr2trd3
11-14-2008, 04:00 AM
I stand corrected.

Obviously, for the OP, the MKIII is not an option. As for the MKIV vs the MKIII, as we've seen here, it's all personal preference and the intended purpose of the vehicle. Why anyone would chose a MKIII over the MKIV baffles me, but if the MKIII is where it's at for you, at least it's a viable option considering the price of MKIVs.

In fact, the only real reason I believe people want to swap a 2JZ into a MKIII is because of the inhibitive cost of owning a MKIV. Then there is the question, why not just use the $xxxxx required to create a 2JZ MKIII to modify the 7MGTE that came with the car? Hmmm....a 320hp 2JZ-equipped MKIII or a 450+RWHP 7M MKIII? These motors ARE proven and are NOT junk.

Just for sh%ts and giggles. The OP is probably just dreaming. To the OP, if you can import Jap cars, why not consider an ST205 GT-Four? A lot of people would give their left nut for that. <- never understood why people use that line. Who would want someone else's nut anyways?

Grot
11-14-2008, 04:03 AM
the 7M is a much heavier engine, is it not?

T-spoon
11-14-2008, 04:43 AM
In fact, the only real reason I believe people want to swap a 2JZ into a MKIII is because of the inhibitive cost of owning a MKIV. Then there is the question, why not just use the $xxxxx required to create a 2JZ MKIII to modify the 7MGTE that came with the car? Hmmm....a 320hp 2JZ-equipped MKIII or a 450+RWHP 7M MKIII? These motors ARE proven and are NOT junk.

The 7M isn't junk, but it's an obviously older engine. Toyota learned a lot from it and the early 3sgtes. I would say the 2jz is more reliable at the same power levels. That makes it awefully attractive, especially if you've already gone down the modding the 7M road and had it let ya down (granted in the case of mine it had some help from some idiots that shouldn't have been allowed to touch it, but anyway, getting off topic...)

joe's gt
11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
A lot of people would give their left nut for that. <- never understood why people use that line. Who would want someone else's nut anyways?
:noob:

the line is not meant for someone receiving the nut, its meant for the person giving up the nut.

:givafuck: :slap:

ciento44
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM

I think it goes something like.....

"What's the difference between a 500whp supra and a 1500whp supra?"

"Trap speed."

supra97
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay for all those who think I can't drive a manual or I'm not getting an MKIV Supra...eat your words. I'll be posting a video of myself driving an 07 Mustang GT that I drive on a daily basis and when I do get my Supra that video will follow.

I hate it when people don't take me seriously...especially cause I'm a girl :D.

Thanks for those who did and gave me solid advice, I'll be taking it to heart. I won't be doing any engine swaps, though. Have fun arguing about it anyway ^_^.

You'll see...you'll see....

supra97
11-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh and thanks T-Spoon, your answer was the most helpful of all, because you basically summed up what I was thinking.

joe's gt
11-15-2008, 04:34 AM
don't let it bother u. there's a reason he only has 30 some posts on here. thats exactly the way he wants u to react. I think girls driving stick is sexy. Good luck getting ur supra. If ur not planning on doing an engine swap soon, I would definitely try to get a TT supra over an NA. Having a turbocharged car is an experience u'll never forget or regret.