PDA

View Full Version : paddle shiftin a celica...

usp45
11-06-2008, 10:22 AM
A diferent thread got the gears turnin in my head, even though I don't own a auto celi.

I came across this product and it seems legit. and other after market TCUs like it.
http://www.tcugo.com/products.html

has anyone here done a mod like this. I do live in a city with traffic and a auto is sounding more tempting.

usp45
11-06-2008, 10:27 AM
this is a really newbster question, well I am a celica newb, so how do the autos on the 4th-7th gens hold up to power?

CriScO
11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
You're lucky to get an A140L/E to handle much more than 140hp. The later transaxles are a bit better, but I personally wouldn't trust them past 200.

grayscale
11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I came across this product and it seems legit. and other after market TCUs like it.
http://www.tcugo.com/products.html
Doesn't sound very "legit" to me. I can't trust anyone trying to sell something that doesn't bother to use proper English in their material. It's either that or it's foreign junk being peddled by a foreigner, in which case I still don't want it.

usp45
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Doesn't sound very "legit" to me. I can't trust anyone trying to sell something that doesn't bother to use proper English in their material. It's either that or it's foreign junk being peddled by a foreigner, in which case I still don't want it.

I wouldn't argue that. I hadn't noticed that the english is improper, cause my english is also improper. I was thinking the concept sounded legit more so then the product itself. Theres alot more out there to research. That was more or less the first product I saw, and it got me going.

So the next question is, what programmable TCU is a good proven product?

usp45
11-06-2008, 11:49 AM
You're lucky to get an A140L/E to handle much more than 140hp. The later transaxles are a bit better, but I personally wouldn't trust them past 200.

weaksauce.

So the best bet for performance, would probably be a auto from a v6 car. Thats not even worth it. Manual is better. Unless it was for a 1mz swap that came with auto trans. I have wanted to get a 1mz donor, and they usualy have autos...

is the a541e worthy to be banged on?

usp45
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I found some after market lsds for A54xE transaxles. I'd imagine that would improve overall strength. Did any come with factory lsd?

Ive been researching all morning at work. and the more I learn the more that TCUGO in the o.p. seems like a piece of garbage. I'll keep looking, there is plenty of products out there. this is not a new concept, dragracers have been doing this for years I just don't know crap about autos yet.

usp45
11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/377500/10002/-1 that looks alot better than that TCUGO junk. ouch on the price though.

I really wanted to figure this out. I haven't worked out any details, but I know enough to know this idea just isn't worth it. Unless, one was talented enough to make a tcu, and I'm not.

burnyd
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM

there very legit sir, they are based out of australia... they made a paddle shifter setup for a friends 240 that went 9's.... they will charge around a ball park of 2k for it pnp... but its bad ass!!

acidice333
11-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Find the transmission solenoid wires running into the ECU, disconnect them from the ECU, apply 12v in a specific order to the wires to attain a specific gear. The BGB will tell you what has to be ON/OFF in order to be in what gear. Now for better protection you would use a microcontroller and take in the RPM so you can't mis-shift and make a gear display.

I had this in mind but I don't have anything with buttons on the wheel to design it plus its not that important. If I can get my hands on a 2k+ steering wheel with up/down and a ECU harness extension then I could do it.

usp45
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm more willing to own an automatic now. A manualy controlled auto would be a good compromise for a car that sees both mountains and city traffic.

GreenlineDesign
11-26-2008, 07:47 PM
yeah the paddle shifter is definetly foreal i have a friend she has paddle shifters in her celica 7th gen her guy put it in cuz he didn't like the auto but i can find out where they got it if anyone is interested sure they aren't hard to find...