PDA

View Full Version : Been a while, craps happened, now need help with the GT

StormyBklyn
11-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, its been a while since I've last posted. Hope everyones well. I've started getting things back in order, got back together with my ex, worked that whole thing out, but the past two weeks have been really crappy.
First, two weeks ago, someone ran a red light, hit a car which slammed into my Grand Marquis which was parked on the street, and totalled it. Yay.
Tonight, I picked up my girlfriend from work and was driving her home in the GT. It was raining, kind of a nasty night, started out from a red light, revved to about 4500 RPM, went to shift, and I hear a loud bang from the engine and then grinding. Then the car starts driving really crappy, and when I stop about 1/2 a block down the road, the car is shuddering violently. Smoke is pouring out of the engine bay, and when I pop the hood, there is oil all over the bottom of the compartment. I call AAA, and they tow the car to a shop. The mechanic puts the car up on the lift, and then he calls me over. He's holding a fist size chunk of metal, and points to a huge hole in the block.
So now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the car. The body is in (almost) perfect condition, I still have the springs, struts, header and exhaust which have not yet been installed.
What are my engine choices? I'm not going with a 3SGTE, at least not now. I never got around to getting the 4th gen for the All Trac, and I don't have the funding to buy one now. I know that there's another 5S, either rebuilt or used. What about the 3SGE? I've never really looked into that swap. What is the output? Would the header and Pacesetter catback fit a 3SGE? The cheapest option would be a straight 5S swap, no? I have very limited funding right now, so cheapest is best.
Anybody have a 5S for sale????

MrWOT
11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Ouch, that sucks. How old were the rod bolts?

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 06:55 AM
So you did a neutral drop and blew a hole in your block, after revving to 4500rpms from a stop in the rain?:squint: Hmm.

Just get a replacement 5s and call it a day.

vip09
11-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't think he actually launched at 4500rpms.. I think he means that he shifted to 2nd at 4500 rpms then heard the BANG.

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't think he actually launched at 4500rpms.. I think he means that he shifted to 2nd at 4500 rpms then heard the BANG.

^^That would make it much easier to take. I was like wtf? over.:hehe:

I still say just replace the 5s if you aren't gonna have the monies and time to swap in something else you'd like. :)

trumanpriest
11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
^+1 Sucks man, sorry to hear it.

StormyBklyn
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, sorry for not being more specific. I didn't launch at 4500rpm, I went to shift into 2nd.
I'm assuming the rod bolts were as old as the car, so they're probably 16 years. I've had the car just over a year, and I've never changed them, but I don't know about the history before.
I'm just dropping in another 5S. The mechanic just called me, he can get me a rebuilt engine and drop it in for $1550, and he will just charge me for parts for a new clutch and flywheel, and offer me a 3 month unlimited warranty with that. He'll also install the struts, springs, header and exhaust for a bit more while he has the car in the shop. Not a bad price, to have the car back by Monday, no?
I am expecting a check for about $2000 for the Merc from the guy that hit me, I was hoping to sink that into the All Trac, but getting the daily driver back on the road is a lot more important.

ciento44
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
In the grand scheme of things, that's really not that bad of a deal if you have the money and can't do the work yourself, and you need the car back quick.

I'd say you made out ok, considering. :)

Is it cheaper if he just replaces the bottom end only? MIght be something to ask him.

StormyBklyn
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I went ahead and had the mechanic get the engine yesterday, so I should have the car back Monday or Tuesday the latest (fingers crossed).

Shadowlife25
11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Good luck mang! Hope you're driving again by Tuesday! :)

StormyBklyn
11-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks man! I know I should take it easy with a new clutch, I've also read that I should work the new engine hard when I first get the car back to see if anything's going to go wrong. Yes? No? I'm giving the mechanic an extra $100, and he's going to warranty the engine 6 months instead of 3, so I should see how strong it is while under warranty, right?
Thanks

Shadowlife25
11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
^ Only if the engine has just been rebuilt. ;) Warranty is nice though, provided he honors it.

StormyBklyn
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
^ Only if the engine has just been rebuilt. ;) Warranty is nice though, provided he honors it.

K. Should I take it easy on the clutch? It's brand new, new pp and flywheel also.
The car will be ready tomorrow morning (gotta love 24 hour shops) as long as the engine starts up. I saw the engine in the car today, thing looks brand spanking new. Came out of a 99 Camry, 52k miles on it. Theyre also replacing the front axles, strut mounts, installing the KYB's and Teins, header, exhaust, tune up and alignment and passing the recently expired inspection. I'm thinking about taking back some of the engine parts, so if anyone needs anything besides the bottom end of the block (unless you want a bottom end with a fist sized hole in it), let me know. If I can get a few bucks back to help offset the cost, I would be happy. Otherwise I might try rebuilding it on my own, since the engine is junk anyway, might as well see if I can learn a little.

Shadowlife25
11-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Go easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. Most folks will tell you 500, but I'd keep it on the safe side. You don't need to baby it, just don't launch it or slip it too much. You'll be fine. :)

I noticed that you said that they're installing KYB's AND Teins. What's the deal there? Are you mix and matching, or are they installing Tein struts and KYB strut tops?
Just curious.

Glad you're getting your car back. :D

StormyBklyn
11-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Go easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. Most folks will tell you 500, but I'd keep it on the safe side. You don't need to baby it, just don't launch it or slip it too much. You'll be fine. :)

I noticed that you said that they're installing KYB's AND Teins. What's the deal there? Are you mix and matching, or are they installing Tein struts and KYB strut tops?
Just curious.

Glad you're getting your car back. :D

Thanks. KYB GR2 front and rear struts and Tein S.Tech lowering springs. Not sure of the brand of the strut mounts. They ordered those today.

I'll take it easy on her for a while. They want the car back in 500 miles and then again in 1000 miles for checkups. I figure about 1500 to 2000 miles an oil change with Royal Purple, and I'll check hoses/fluids/etc... every time I gas up.

Just got a call from them, the engine started up, and theyre finishing putting her back together.

I'm also going to get some sound and video clips of the car when I get her back. I can't wait to hear what she sounds like with the Sure Win header and Pacesetter Monza, plus the intake I already had. Tonight's going to be a long night, waiting to get her back :-)

StormyBklyn
11-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I just got home with the car. I have a couple of comments:

First, the Pacesetter and Surewin header sound amazing. Very deep, and a nice note at around 4000RPMs.
With the suspension, the car handles really nicely. Bumps are still a little hard, but people here have told me that would be the case with lowering springs. The car corners well, no clunking, and overall I'm very happy.
I don't know if it's the 99 Camry engine, or the header, or the exhaust, or a combination of all of the above, but she has a LOT more kick than she used to all through the entire powerband. The clutch catches immediately, no slipping at all, and the car takes off. I would love to get her on a dyno to see what the output is now, but there's a hell of a lot more torque.
I'm taking the car back in on Sunday because she idles a little rough, and the AC doesn't engage at all (no drop in RPMs or anything).
Other than that, I am very very happy. It took a week (the engine exploded last Thursday), but she's running great.
The work done:
'99 Camry 5SFE with ~50000 miles
New OEM clutch, pressure plate and flywheel
New front axles
Tein S.Tech springs
KYB GR2 struts
New strut mounts
Pacesetter Monza catback
Surewin header
Full tune up
Alignment
Flush and replace all fluids

Shadowlife25
11-12-2008, 11:10 PM
:woot: Glad you got her back and running man. :)