PDA

View Full Version : What can be removed (engine bay)

bluemonkey
11-05-2008, 11:06 PM
So if you've looked at my other thread, its a pretty good conclusion I'll be having to replace my HG. I'm planning on leaving the block inside the car while I do this. I've heard there's only like 2 vacuums that are needed for the car to run fine. One was for the fuel pressure regulator but I can't remember the other. Anyone know which vacuums are needed?

I plan on pulling all the a/c parts since I don't really care for it. I've heard you can remove the charcoal canister and I'm not worried about any emission items so I want to get rid of those as well. I can probably fab up the block off plate on the valve cover but I don't know what all else there is that I can get rid of. What items can I get rid of and to clean up the engine bay? I plan on having a MBC so I don't think I'll need the stock tvis? I think that's the one that limits the stock boost. I already have a catch can installed. I also have a straight intake as well.

Can I get rid of all the items on the back of the intake manifold? I plan on keeping power steering since I recently bought a new pump, is there a way to relocate the alternator to where the compressor bolts up?

This is on a st165.

joe's gt
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM
u could remove the egr, I don't know whether u have jdm or not. unless u are serious about ur track times and building this car up to be a beast, I don't see why u have to get rid of all that stuff. Its really not worth taking out all of it if u don't plan on building the car up with internals and making it solely a track car. I'd assume u need a/c in houston. make sure u keep the turbo pressure sensor vacuum connected so u don't accidentally over boost and damage ur engine.

andy
11-06-2008, 12:54 AM
u need the other one for the map sensor. you can remove your....
ac
evap crap
egr
thats about it i think.
leave all the other stuff hooked in. (a few vsvs for coldstart and other things)
leave the alt and go get a non ac belt and run that.

bluemonkey
11-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Well I'm tired of looking at an engine bay cluttered with lines that end up who knows where. I'm going to be pulling the head off so I'll have pretty good access to most of the lines while I do that. My a/c doesn't blow cold and I don't really care for it so I plan on pulling it as well.

How hard would relocated the power steering reservoir be? Would I mess up the flow if it were lower or too far from the pump? Considering running the hoses to it behind the fender but not sure how that would work out just yet. Maybe right by the firewall?

The evap stuff has the charcoal canister but what else is there that can be removed? I don't want the car to throw any CEL lights. Its a usdm motor and just wanting to do some low-cost items to clean up the engine bay.

edit:forgot to mention, I already have a boost gauge and the tvsv will need to be disabled for my mbc to work properly. I figure I might as well it out while I'm in there.

DaneDog311
11-06-2008, 01:19 AM
is there the VAF sensor on 165?

bluemonkey
11-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Not sure, time to google what that is lol.

vaf=maf? is so, yes but I have a straight intake so it's already out of the way.