PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer switch

glenn
11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
okay does anyone know what wire i could tie into on the dimmer switch so when i turn my lights on my gauges light up i would go off my remote wire for my deck but i've got so much stuff attached to it that i dont want to put anymore strain on it

Ryan
11-05-2008, 12:22 AM
You could just splice into the power wire... just use a test light.

Shadowlife25
11-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Do you mean for Aftermarket Gauges?

Because if you stock gauges aren't lighting up, your dimmer switch is broken. ;)

glenn
11-05-2008, 01:05 AM
yeah aftermarket gauges lol and well i dont know which one to splice into to where when i turn my head lights on the gauges light up

Ryan
11-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Use a test light to find the power wire.

Shadowlife25
11-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Test light or muti-meter will do the trick. Look for a wire that has 12v only when the lighting is on.

Gently push the probe through the jacket just enough to get your reading. You don't want to damage the wiring. ;)

Ryan
11-05-2008, 01:13 AM
couldnt he take the dimmer switch out and disconnect the connector and test it that way?

Shadowlife25
11-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Absolutely. :D

CriScO
11-05-2008, 01:50 AM
You can always pick up a add-a-fuse kit. Plug it in and it turns one fuse into two. Put that in the light fuse and you're good to go. That's what my tach light's hooked to, because I didn't feel like taking apart the rest of the dash to tap the junction block I have for my other cluster.

Shadowlife25
11-05-2008, 04:54 AM
More brilliance! :)

Gary
11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Just tap the wire from the ash tray bulb. It will dim and light up with your dash light. I have done this for over 7 years now, no problem whatsoever.

KoreanJoey
11-05-2008, 06:13 AM
^^Most awesome trick I've ever heard...

Shadowlife25
11-05-2008, 06:23 AM
I did that for my stereo illumination. I didn't recommend it though, because alot of 5th gens have crappy wiring in that area. :(

Anyhow, yes, a great idea. Thanks Gary. :)

To add, I agree with Crisco that you would be best served by adding a fuse and doing it that way. All that would be necessary would be a 5 amp fuse.
Just my opinion.

glenn
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
okay wow lots of input on this thanks guys for the help i've got a kit for that and i have my entire most of my center console and dash apart to run the wires for my amps and plus had to re wire my deck cz who ever did it before me really used the shittiest barrel connectors they could or crimped then shitty

ciento44
11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Just tap the wire from the ash tray bulb. It will dim and light up with your dash light. I have done this for over 7 years now, no problem whatsoever.

Ding. This is what i've always used, too.

That being said, as mario alluded to, it took some other troubleshooting on my white car, because that light was intermittent, had a bad connection farther back. :)

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 04:15 AM
okay wow lots of input on this thanks guys for the help i've got a kit for that and i have my entire most of my center console and dash apart to run the wires for my amps and plus had to re wire my deck cz who ever did it before me really used the shittiest barrel connectors they could or crimped then shitty

Solder your connections. Crimp connectors are made of fail.

celicaGT90_05
11-06-2008, 06:12 AM
^ not if you do them right, but if you do crimp them it is a good idea to use something to seal the connection. Soldering also takes a lot of practice to master, if you are wanting to solder connections, I suggest practicing on junk wire first. Solder will fill in very fast

Ryan
11-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Soldering is a good idea, but the best way is solder and heat shrink...Just practice soldering on some spare wire.. it just takes practice. you want good penetration with the solder that way it holds well.

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
I'm guessing no one here read my write-up on proper soldering techniques.

Solder+heat-shrink = ftw

Crimp connectors = fail.

Before anyone tells me I'm wrong, I'll just share that I have been soldering micro-controllers, circuit boards, and car audio related wiring for over 13 years now. I also have an AA in electrical engineering.

So that being said, soldering is NOT difficult when it comes to making a solid connection between things as simple as 2 wires.

Heat-flow-heat-shrink-done.

celicaGT90_05
11-06-2008, 06:39 AM
thats easy to say having done it that long, but for someone starting out, soldering is tricky. Practice, thats all I can say

And still, I've been doing wiring for years now myself, I've had pleanty of success with crimp connections but its all about the tecnique of doing it. They arent as secure as soldering, no, but they aren't as you put it "fail" if you know what you are doing with them. I'm not the only one who has this opinion, I have talked to a tech doing this for way more than 13 years. Still, I respect the fact that you dont like them, Im just saying they are a worthy option, I know from pleanty experience. Agreed though, solder will be the best option as far as dependability

Ryan
11-06-2008, 06:40 AM
^thank you mario!

Practice makes perfect!

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
thats easy to say having done it that long, but for someone starting out, soldering is tricky. Practice, thats all I can say

And still, I've been doing wiring for years now myself, I've had plenty of success with crimp connections but its all about the technique of doing it. They aren't as secure as soldering, no, but they aren't as you put it "fail" if you know what you are doing with them. I'm not the only one who has this opinion, I have talked to a tech doing this for way more than 13 years. Still, I respect the fact that you don't like them, I'm just saying they are a worthy option, I know from plenty experience. Agreed though, solder will be the best option as far as dependability

So there is a "technique" you need to use crimp connectors and you have to know "what you're doing with them"?
You have to be kidding me!? Crimp connectors are idiot proof and quick. That's why they're popular. NOT because they are a good method of connection.

You admit that the way I outlined is the way to provide the best, most dependable connection. So why bother with another method that will take just as long and provide inferior results?

I'm glad that you have a friend in the diamond business.

Any tech worth his salt will do things PROPERLY.

Doing it right the first time saves $$$ and TIME. Since time=money it's win/win to go about it in the proper fashion.

Anything less is pure laziness.

Ryan
11-06-2008, 07:12 AM
In the automotive tech field... time really is money.

And being as such, sometimes techs really dont do stuff the right way, but there are the good techs that will take the extra time and do it right the first time.

celicaGT90_05
11-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Im not arguing with you, Im just saying they are worth while to consider. Just getting them nice and secure, which is possible, takes a little bit of trial and error. It's a quick, cheap and easy option to consider. If you aren't very good at soldering and need to make a fix quickly, its an option, at least until you are able to to solder. Thats all Im trying to say.

And just a side point, the guy I talked to does solder, just says basically what Im saying

ciento44
11-06-2008, 01:09 PM
In the automotive tech field... time really is money.

And being as such, sometimes techs really dont do stuff the right way, but there are the good techs that will take the extra time and do it right the first time.

You missed the fun times of me resoldering my entire stereo harness. You would have lol'd.

Shadowlife25
11-06-2008, 01:14 PM
You missed the fun times of me resoldering my entire stereo harness. You would have lol'd.

I demand pics of your madness Ben! NOW!! :D

METDeath
11-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, if you spring for the one of the $40+ crimp tools, and calibrate it correctly, they can be fairly reliable.

As for soldering, I used to hate it until I discovered the wonder that is water based flux!

ciento44
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I demand pics of your madness Ben! NOW!! :D

I'd have to take it all back apart. :(

I'll see what i can do. I'm close to tearing everything not needed to make the motor run out of the car again, so we'll see what weirdness i can find. :)

+1 to your argument though. I've always soldered, it's the way to go. I learned this back when i was overclocking. You simply CANNOT do voltage mods on a motherboard or PSU with crimpers. So you HAVE to learn to do things right. And the first time. Or else you fry a lot of expensive equipment.

I think the only time i crimped was when i was using 100w bulbs in my old coupe, and then i only crimped because i was melting plugs once a month, and it was just more convienent that way. I personally find crimps annoying, fidgity, and slower to work with. It's a lot faster for me to melt some solder than to mess around with a crimp that REALLY requires three hands to do in an efficient amount of time.

glenn
11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
okay well with all the said i cant solder lol i do not have that skill and also the solder never sticks to the wire just sticks to the gun but anyways where do we get pillar gauge pods for the 5th gens or at least something that will fit ? links would be awsome thanks in advance

METDeath
11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Use soldering flux, it will help greatly.