PDA

View Full Version : 91 GTS - Red - In need of help.

bator
12-05-2004, 03:49 AM
I have a 91 GTS in red. Im sure we have all heard the stories about the red celica's dulling out in their age. Any Idea's on how I can put some serious life back into this paint!?

...and by idea's I dont mean to wash and wax! which products work best to bring back the life of the paint!

thanks!

roman
12-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think you can do much aside from some waxing and serious polishing/buffing. They sell colored wax (even red) that can help cover up some of the fading, but it only lasts so long. My '90 GT-S suffered from the same fading problem so I just had a guy repaint the entire top of the car for me (hood/roof/hatch/spoiler) and buff the fenders and doors. He did all this work on the side and only charged me $300 for it. Here's what it looked like in the end:

http://www.altarf.net/misc/celica/images/celica-08.jpg

http://www.altarf.net/misc/celica/images/celica-09.jpg

ibanezgfx
12-05-2004, 06:43 AM
I hate you....
just playin. your car looks like i want mine to look :(

roman
12-05-2004, 06:51 AM
It's not mine anymore. But it was one of the best looking cars I've ever owned.

imac
12-05-2004, 05:36 PM
i couldnt get anything to give the old red paint any more life. no matter what i did it still looked like shit. if you really want it to look better, i'd go the way roman went and have it sprayed. i had mine sprayed too, different color of course, but even the cheap maaco job looks better than the toyota red did.

Hooligan
12-05-2004, 06:00 PM
I used to work at a Toyota dealer in the reconditioning department and we saw a LOT of sad looking red cars. 95% of them were salvageable too. Most of them required a 5 step process. Heavy compound with a wool pad, light compound with a wool pad, light compound with a foam pad, polish with a foam pad, and finally a sealant/wax with a foam pad.

Honestly, there probably isn't a lot you can do by hand. You can find buffers for pretty cheap now and then and they will make a WORLD of difference.

TRDmkII
12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a 91 GTS in red. Im sure we have all heard the stories about the red celica's dulling out in their age. Any Idea's on how I can put some serious life back into this paint!?

...and by idea's I dont mean to wash and wax! which products work best to bring back the life of the paint!

thanks!

unfortunately toyota red of the 80s and 90s sucked major, there is nothing you can do to the lustor of your paint, except spend the money to get a repaint of some sort. Good luck.

Hooligan
12-05-2004, 06:36 PM
unfortunately toyota red of the 80s and 90s sucked major, there is nothing you can do to the lustor of your paint, except spend the money to get a repaint of some sort. Good luck.

Wrong. Please read my post.

TRDmkII
12-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Wrong. Please read my post.

when i posted i hadn't read your post, i just clicked reply to his, i appologize and i guess i'm wrong.

Hooligan
12-05-2004, 06:40 PM
when i posted i hadn't read your post, i just clicked reply to his, i appologize and i guess i'm wrong.

No worries.

imac
12-05-2004, 06:55 PM
i dont know if that would have helped mine much... it had gotten to the point where it was not only faded but most of the clearcoat was peeling off of the car :ghey:

roman
12-05-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't think Toyota had clearcoat on the red until '95 or so... Maybe later? I know my '90 wasn't clearcoated.

Hooligan
12-05-2004, 07:06 PM
I don't think Toyota had clearcoat on the red until '95 or so... Maybe later? I know my '90 wasn't clearcoated.

Correct, most are not clearcoated. The paint that did get clearcoat stays in better shape for MUCH longer.

imac
12-05-2004, 07:23 PM

:squint: what the hell? maybe the previous owner did something to it like clear-in-a-can? i dont know, but i do know there was some kind of clear peeling off in numerous spots on the car, most noticeably on the gas door. thats gonna stump me for a while...

carlosfandango
12-05-2004, 08:52 PM
My 87 vert is toyota red, when i bought it, it had almost gone pink never mind dull. I spent a full day with Tetrosyl T-Cut, now i'm lucky as i have a 5 litre tin thats around 15 years old, which means it was developed for the 'older' paint. New T-Cut is made by car plan and just aint as good.

Anyway, before you go down the road of a respray, get a reconditioning renovator - like a liquid cutting compound. You guys will have to excuse me - as i'm over the pond it's up to you to teach me the products names you got stateside.

Get lint free cloths, new - clean and dry, follow the instructions, which should briefly advise you to apply the liquid compound to the cloth, then work in 1 mtr Sq areas, in a circular motion, without pressing too hard but keeping a constant firm pressure, you will see oxidisation and red paint on the cloth, when this happens you are cutting a layer of the paint off the surface to reveal paint underneath which has never suffered.

Do not spent too long doing this or you will cut it back to primer, also watch for raised edges as these will 'cut away sooner. But dont worry, just take your time, ive done this loads of cars, mine and other peoples.

remove each area (just like polish) before you move on to the next area, and do not do this in direct sunlight. do not apply directly to paintwork either, put it on the cloth. keep it away from exterior trim too, it wont harm it but it dries on like wax/polish.

Take your time, it should take a full morning on a sunday - say 8-11 am to get a good result. Then afterwards, apply a high quality polish - not a wax - a polish, this will treat the fresh paint you have revealed, polish the paint work at least 3 times - not just wipe on and wipe off, get the elbow working, using an orbital would be a good idea - But DO NOT use the orbital with the cutting compound as you can not gauge the 'cut' aswell as you can with a hand job.

afterwards, apply a high quality wax, regularly wax the car, like at least once every week.

if you have $100 spare, take it to a body shop and they can do this for you. some are reluctant to do it as it means they arent making $$ from a respray.

if you do try it, let me know how you get on.

see my red paintwork here > http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312

roman
12-05-2004, 09:47 PM
:squint: what the hell? maybe the previous owner did something to it like clear-in-a-can? i dont know, but i do know there was some kind of clear peeling off in numerous spots on the car, most noticeably on the gas door. thats gonna stump me for a while...

I was just talking about the Red color. I don't know about others. Most car manufacturers didn't clearcoat red for some time for some reason while clearcoating other colors.

ibanezgfx
12-06-2004, 06:44 AM
solid colors like red, black, etc didnt get a clear coat. pearls, metallics blah blah blah did get clears though

imac
12-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I was just talking about the Red color. I don't know about others. Most car manufacturers didn't clearcoat red for some time for some reason while clearcoating other colors.

yea i didnt doubt your information, i was just trying to figure out why mine had clear chips coming off of it. not really important tho, problems all better now :D