PDA

View Full Version : compatability between E series tranys and C series tranys?

3SmeCaptain
10-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Hey guys!

trying to see the difference between the awd E tranys and the fwd C tranys.

i know the E series are much stronger, but what i want to know is if an E transmission can be matted to a motor that originally had a C transmission on it.

lets say the bell housing not being a problem cause if it came down to it, you can just pick up some good aluminum and make your own bell housing *not that hard if you know what you're doing*.

at this point it really has to do with the Spline differences. i've heard of some of the fwd based E series transmission being matted to motors that were originally fitted with C series transmissions *I.E. 1NZFE 1.5L engine uses a C50, and a 2AZFE 2.4L engine normally uses a E350 or E351 but i've seen the 2AZFE matted to a C59 and C60 which is a direct bolt on swap out to the 1NZFE's C50 transmission which would suggest that the E350 and E351 are capable of going on the 1NZFE engine and if all E series have the same setup, then all E series and C series transmissions would theoretically be interchangeable with one another.*

i know the engines i named have nothing to do with the altracs, but i'm just wondering is all. i can't find hardly anything on spline differences between the specific C50, C59, C60, E350, E351, E150F, E151F, E153 or the E154F transmissions, nor can i find anything on bell housing bolt pattern differences.

another supporter of my suspicion is that to my knowledge, all A series engines were at one point or another matted to a C series transmission on different vehicle models...

so is there anything that anyone knows that might be able to back this up at all?

METDeath
10-30-2008, 06:09 AM
As long as the C series and E series come off the same motor. 5th gen Celicas came with a C52 (I'm pretty sure) and E53 tranny, so the same is probably true with other motors. I think a lot of stuff is actually pretty easy to swap on Toyota's but since there's not a huge tuner following in the US, we don't have people doing this stuff all the time and trying new swaps.

3SmeCaptain
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
well... if i some how get lucky, i'll be one of the few to do it.

my girl's got an altrac and it's been eating at me... not jealousy, but i own a 1st gen Scion xB. originally, in japan, they were available in AWD on a 4speed automatic only and was normally, and oddly, found matted to the weaker 2NZFE 1.3L engine. to my knowledge 90% of the all the AWD transmissions that toyota makes are generally E series and since the 1NZFE engine is just a bored 1.5L version of the 1NZFE then it would be interchangeable. thing is, the AWD on the Toyota bB in japan was very weak specifically because it was found on the weaker power house. but with the experience i've had with my xB, it's got SO MUCH rally sport based potential and why choose any other AWD alternative then the E15XF series.

so if i'm going to start anywhere, probably going to try getting my hands on a E153F or E154F, which ever one is more available, think the one from the ST205 is the one i'm looking for, but the point, for the fixed syncro problems. since the xB was AWD to begin with in japan, having a look under the chassis it reveals it's going to be SOOOOOO easy to turn it back that way.

just gonna need to compare the transmissions, their spline differences, bell housing differences. chassis mounts don't matter to me, i'll just make new ones.

usp45
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
having a look under the chassis it reveals it's going to be SOOOOOO easy to turn it back that way.

we'll see about "SOOOOOO easy".

Dr Tweak
10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
well... if i some how get lucky, i'll be one of the few to do it.

my girl's got an altrac and it's been eating at me... not jealousy, but i own a 1st gen Scion xB. originally, in japan, they were available in AWD on a 4speed automatic only and was normally, and oddly, found matted to the weaker 2NZFE 1.3L engine. to my knowledge 90% of the all the AWD transmissions that toyota makes are generally E series and since the 1NZFE engine is just a bored 1.5L version of the 1NZFE then it would be interchangeable. thing is, the AWD on the Toyota bB in japan was very weak specifically because it was found on the weaker power house. but with the experience i've had with my xB, it's got SO MUCH rally sport based potential and why choose any other AWD alternative then the E15XF series.

so if i'm going to start anywhere, probably going to try getting my hands on a E153F or E154F, which ever one is more available, think the one from the ST205 is the one i'm looking for, but the point, for the fixed syncro problems. since the xB was AWD to begin with in japan, having a look under the chassis it reveals it's going to be SOOOOOO easy to turn it back that way.

just gonna need to compare the transmissions, their spline differences, bell housing differences. chassis mounts don't matter to me, i'll just make new ones.

The E-series tranny isn't going to bolt up to the NZ-series engine, most likely. Though it does come with a C-series transmission, it's a different bellhousing pattern. The E51 and E58 will bolt to a 4AGE or 4AFE (or 7AFE) because they come with the 4AGZE which is the 4A block. However, the E153 will not bolt to a 4A engine. Also, the 4EFTE comes with a C52, but it's a different bellhousing pattern, so none of the E-series will bolt up.

But who cares? If you're going to convert an xB to AWD, then you might as well swap in the 3SGTE at the same time! :)

-Doc

ciento44
10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
As long as the C series and E series come off the same motor. 5th gen Celicas came with a C52 (I'm pretty sure) and E53 tranny, so the same is probably true with other motors. I think a lot of stuff is actually pretty easy to swap on Toyota's but since there's not a huge tuner following in the US, we don't have people doing this stuff all the time and trying new swaps.

5th gens got the C52 (ST), S53( GT/GTS), and the E151F (AllTrac i think this is the right code) if we really want to get picky... :p

burnyd
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
we'll see about "SOOOOOO easy".

x2

its okay to hack up these almost 20 year old celicas but when your talking about a daily driven car thats newer its not worth it.

I doubt youll go through with it anyways... werent you the one saying you were going to twin turbo a 3sgte :ug3:

3SmeCaptain
10-31-2008, 09:54 PM
But who cares? If you're going to convert an xB to AWD, then you might as well swap in the 3SGTE at the same time! :)

-Doc

1MZFE was the plan if the use of a E was gonna happen.

as for "hacking up" my newer vehicle. it doesn't hardly get hacked up at all. like i said, it was originally AWD in japan and there are no changes to the chassis except for the firewall for the right hand to left hand drive conversion and then the change of where the spare tire sits from being outside and bolted under the chassis in japan to being bolted inside in the cargo area. other then that, the chassis is exactly the same and has plenty of room.