PDA

View Full Version : Selling my car how much?

Uncrck2
10-27-2008, 06:04 AM
I have a 1990 5 speed celica GT liftback has 139000 miles on it the run down of it.
power windows, locks, steering, mirrors
Power sunroof
Alpine head unit with ipod cable
Polk audio db series speakers (4)
Shortshifter
Underglow neons
15" After market rims
4 disc brakes
Fully adjustable Ksport coilovers (lowered about 2.5")
Short ram intake
aftermarket 4-1 header
High flow magna flow cat (2.5")
custom 2.5" exhaust with turbo muffler
New alternator
New radiator
Sleepy eyes headlights
Clear turn signals
Clear side markers
New paint (1.5years)
New tie rods

Looks really clean

Ryan
10-27-2008, 06:38 AM
kbb said that in excellent condition it is worth $2200. I would say that if you find the right buyer you could get $3500 easy.

Slider
10-27-2008, 06:54 AM
The problem is going to be is waiting for the right buyer. A lot of people don't care about mods, especially loud exhausts. You'll probably get more money by parting out all your mods and bringing it back to stock then selling it.

sheep
10-27-2008, 07:16 AM
i would wait for the right buyer if your not in a hurry, if i didnt have 2 vehicles already i would give you 3 for it easy

PhillyDRFT
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Adding parts to your car will not make it worth any more. I think you'll starve waiting for the right buyer especially now, people aren't spending extra for anything.

People are asking ungodly prices locally for 5th gens. Sell the wheels, speakers ,mods outright if you have the stock parts still.

The celi itself is Worth about $2,000 real world value. I've been camping out all of the local stuff, no one is getting 3k+ for them the same adds keep getting re-listed.

If you can prove that all of the work was done professionally / have maint records that will bring your asking price up a few hundred.

If you pop up some more pics and end up in the ballpark of 2k I might be interested. I've been in the market for a 5th gen locally for a few months now.

tuner4life
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
You could get 3500 for it. Put it on craigsist, and see what happens.

k.beaty
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
if you do decide that you want to return it to stock, let me know, I'm intrested in the coilovers :)

Uncrck2
10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
So im gonna try to sell it for 4k being that i love my car that much cuz i have to sell it cuz im in cali now and its in pa so i need a car.

VikingJZ
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Post it on Craigslist for $3,350.

Slider hit it on the head: No one outside of the car crazy community cares much about aftermarket mods. The rims might be a slight draw because they're nice, and the paint and reasonably low miles for a Toyota.

I think you'd be hard pressed to get $3,500.

Posting it for $4,000 will draw people low balling you for at or less than KBB value, generally less.

KBB condition is around $2,300. That is what people will look up. They will argue that the car is still a nearly 20 year old Celica with over 100k miles.

Sometimes, people that aren't into cars will stray because there are aftermarket modifications. Some view that as the car being raced or beaten on, regardless of condition. Sorry to piss on your Cheerios but that's the way the general population views tuner cars (At least from my perspective.)

I have sold many cars, and pointing out that the dash lights have been converted to LEDs and there's a cone filter amongst other things are a moot point or even a turn away.

Then again, My parent's old credo is that a car is only worth what someone wants to pay, AND what the buyer feels its worth.

In the end, you have two choices:

1.) Post it for $4,000 and wait until someone who wants to spend the extra $1,700 will take the bite and deal with low ballers and flamers until the right buyer comes along.

2.) Bite the bullet and post it for $2700 OBO and get around KBB excellent value.

Buyers will point out every flaw with the car, so if you feel you can actually get way above KBB value, stick to your guns.

But you might still have your car in the end, and it sounds like you need to move it ASAP.

I tried putting my SC up for $7,100. Its only worth about $4,000-$4,500. I have put a lot of work into it, but no one really cared except for a few kids that wanted it really bad but didn't have the cash monies.

However, I never expected to sell it, because I'm not set on doing so. If someone gave me $7,100, I'd take that shit and run like crazy.

Trance4c
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
^ that is usually always the case.

Good luck, sell reasonably, it is a 18, about to be 19 year old car (an if early enough 90's it was on the dealer lot in last September '89, so about 20 year old car).

PhillyDRFT
10-28-2008, 02:45 AM
I still think 4k is nuts.

What your car is worth to you is completely different than what it's worth in currency.

All in all it comes down to production number, age and millage.

Good luck with your sale.

5VZ
10-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Some really solid and wise advice in here.

Unfortunately sentimental/personal value does not coincide with real world prices. I see you wanting to have it go for 4 grand but it's likely worth half that, 2k or so. Maybe a hair more.

The neons and the noisy exhaust will, to an experienced buyer, likely serve as an indicator that the vehicle has been abused. No one outside the Celica community will care much about the sleepy eyes, despite the hard work it took. The disks all-around are a nice touch, but again, add only so much value in the eyes of others, especially casual buyers.

If you can sell the components individually, you're bound to make more money quicker; the wheels, speakers, neons, and whatever else you can pick from the car and shlep back the stock parts back on. That is, assuming you have them.

Granted, there are always people out there willing to pay insane amounts of money for a vehicle. You just have to wait for them to come along - I sold a Civic with a salvage title to some guy for 2.5k. Half the vehicle was made of bondo, it had a bad tranny (slipped), the black paint was awful and there were dents everywhere, including the roof. Weak a/c and weak heat. The trunk and windshield leaked when it rained. On top of that, it needed (other than the transmission) at least 3 grand worth of parts and repair, all and all worth more then the car itself. I told all this to the fella outright and he goes to me, that's fine...ok...I like Hondas...and hands me the cash. No idea to this day what he was thinking. So it's quite possible that some kid with rich parents might come along or a dude like the one I met.

Though, waiting might not be profitable - the value of the vehicle does decrease with time! and who knows how long it'll take for you to get what you're asking.

Good luck, however! :)

ciento44
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Like i said bud... you're going to get the most money out of it by taking the time to revert back to stock, and part out the aftermarket stuff, then sell it for $2k.

But you seemed to rather jump down my throat with my offer, rather than make a counter-offer. I don't predict this car changing hands anytime soon.

But good luck, and if you get $4k for it, then you can go down in history for ripping someone almost as bad as Darren ripped Ricksta with that $11k GT.

What you're saying here is that your car is worth 2/3rds what Play's AllTrac is. Think about it.

burnyd
10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Like i said bud... you're going to get the most money out of it by taking the time to revert back to stock, and part out the aftermarket stuff, then sell it for $2k.

But you seemed to rather jump down my throat with my offer, rather than make a counter-offer. I don't predict this car changing hands anytime soon.

But good luck, and if you get $4k for it, then you can go down in history for ripping someone almost as bad as Darren ripped Ricksta with that $11k GT.

What you're saying here is that your car is worth 2/3rds what Play's AllTrac is. Think about it.

exactly what he said, youll be lucky to get 2k for that car....

Majority of people who purchase celicas purchase them souly for a reliable vehicle that gets good gas mileage, If I were looking for a 5th gen I would think since the mods that are on that car it was beat the fuck out of no offense to you.

I would honestly sell the mods you have on that car here on this forum and other forums Im sure you could get a couple hundred bucks for the wheels header and exhaust, unfortunately the most your going to get for your car is 2-2500 bux.....

ciento44
10-28-2008, 02:40 PM
exactly what he said, youll be lucky to get 2k for that car....

Majority of people who purchase celicas purchase them souly for a reliable vehicle that gets good gas mileage, If I were looking for a 5th gen I would think since the mods that are on that car it was beat the fuck out of no offense to you.

I would honestly sell the mods you have on that car here on this forum and other forums Im sure you could get a couple hundred bucks for the wheels header and exhaust, unfortunately the most your going to get for your car is 2-2500 bux.....

I offered him $500 for the coilovers.... there's a good chunk right there. It's pretty conceivable he could get $3000 - $3500 for the car if he parted out the aftermarket stuff and sold it as a stock car.

The problem is, is that beyond the coilovers, i see no reason to buy this car over mine, which i got for $600, and i think the general public will see the same.

Cavanagh
10-29-2008, 03:07 AM
I could never grasp this well, since I think celicas should be worth more, but at the end of the day it's an 18 yr old celica. It's just a celica. Even most *gasp* alltracs are a bit overpriced.

Ghosty
10-29-2008, 03:30 AM
I could never grasp this well, since I think celicas should be worth more, but at the end of the day it's an 18 yr old celica. It's just a celica. Even most *gasp* alltracs are a bit overpriced.

*GASP*

BLASPHEME!!!

jk.

True. At the end of the day, it's an 18 year old celica. That car probably won't increase in value until A) gas is $10/ gal, or B) most other Celicas have rusted away, making the car more valuable by its rarity.

If you're looking for a barrett-jackson million dollar car, umm... you're going to have to hold on to that celica for maybe 20 more years. If ever.

burnyd
10-29-2008, 04:54 AM
and what kind of coilovers are on that car?

ciento44
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
and what kind of coilovers are on that car?

Ksports.

It's a good setup, definitely, but in a day where you can get them for $750 or sometimes less on group buys.... they aren't exactly a selling point, as installation is super-easy, too.

Uncrck2
10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Listen im not going back stock i live in LA and my car is in Philly im not gonna spend my winter break taking all the parts off im gonna sell my car as a whole

ciento44
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Listen im not going back stock i live in LA and my car is in Philly im not gonna spend my winter break taking all the parts off im gonna sell my car as a whole

That's fine bud. :) Like i said, good luck. We're just throwing out suggestions to help you get your money back faster rather than waiting for someone to pay $4k for a fwd 5th gen.

Uncrck2
10-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I actually have a buyer for it at 3.5k right now but thanks for advise those of u who gave me a price rang and not tellin me to strip my car and sell them my parts

burnyd
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I actually have a buyer for it at 3.5k right now but thanks for advise those of u who gave me a price rang and not tellin me to strip my car and sell them my parts

your going to be "that guy" On craigslist who relists his car every 3 days.

ciento44
10-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Take it and run away VERY FAST. CASH ONLY so they can't back out!!

Uncrck2
10-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Or lets say i know the guy and he's wanted my car for a few years now, and i havnt posted on craigslist

Ryan
10-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Take it and run like an illegal immigrant at the ins

Chris
10-30-2008, 01:52 AM
I actually have a buyer for it at 3.5k right now, but thanks for advice, those of you who gave me a price range and (I can't even fix this next part) not telling me to strip my car and sell them my (lol wut?) parts

If you're going to be a dick after people gave you advice, at least have the courtesy to pay attention to what you're writing.

Ryan
10-30-2008, 01:57 AM
lmao...niiiccccee!