PDA

View Full Version : Brake master cilinder replacing

LionTR
10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone!

I want to improve my brake system by installing bigger discs and a four cylinder caliper coming from an RX7 to the front, with steel brake hoses of course.

The new calipers require more brake fluid and therefore I assume I have to replace my master cylinder as well.

So the question is:
Will the master cylinder from an ST185 fit to my ST162?

If someone is familiar with this or knows something about it, please share with me.

Thanks, Adam

Edit:
cilinders switched to cylinder...

Galcobar
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry, but this is driving me nuts to look at: cYlinder

RedRkt01
10-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry, but this is driving me nuts to look at: cYlinder

Fine to point out if you're going to help him out. Otherwise who cares. Kinda petty.....Just sayin.

Adam, to answer your question, I think that the master cylinder from a 185 would hook up to the 162. I'm not really sure, but all those parts are so similar between 4th and 5th Gens. I'd have to assume that you'd have a good chance for success...........just don't quote me on it.

LionTR
10-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Fine to point out if you're going to help him out. Otherwise who cares. Kinda petty.....Just sayin.

Adam, to answer your question, I think that the master cylinder from a 185 would hook up to the 162. I'm not really sure, but all those parts are so similar between 4th and 5th Gens. I'd have to assume that you'd have a good chance for success...........just don't quote me on it.

Thanks, that's something for a start :)

RedRkt01
10-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks, that's something for a start :)

I'll keep an eye out for like-minded posts. You'll be the first to know should I find confirmation or the contrary.

LionTR
10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Okay thanks :)

Shadowlife25
10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I believe they are interchangeable. :)

RedRkt01
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I just read over at ST162.com (that is not a plug) that they are "the same". For whatever that's worth........

ciento44
10-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, here's the problem with that.... the ST185 in almost all cases also came with a 1 piston caliper. I HIGHLY doubt it moves much more fluid than your stock one.

Here's my question:

Why do you need bigger brakes in your car?

LionTR
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, here's the problem with that.... the ST185 in almost all cases also came with a 1 piston caliper. I HIGHLY doubt it moves much more fluid than your stock one.

Here's my question:

Why do you need bigger brakes in your car?

Thanks for the answers!

I know the ST185 has 1 piston caliper as well, but since it's almost 300 kgs heavyer, I believe it has to have a bigger piston and a bigger main cylinder as well.

I want bigger brakes because I'm not impressed by my stock brake setting, plus I have 200 horses now instead of the stock 140, so bigger braking power is needed.

RedRkt01
10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the answers!

I know the ST185 has 1 piston caliper as well, but since it's almost 300 kgs heavyer, I believe it has to have a bigger piston and a bigger main cylinder as well.

I want bigger brakes because I'm not impressed by my stock brake setting, plus I have 200 horses now instead of the stock 140, so bigger braking power is needed.

What do you have in your 4th Gen that creates 200 HP?

LionTR
10-30-2008, 03:08 PM
A RedTop BEAMS.

RedRkt01
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
A RedTop BEAMS.

Nice! Any other mods?

You gotta show us a bunch of pics. I like your car a lot.

ciento44
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
A RedTop BEAMS.

OH SNAP.

LionTR
10-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Nice! Any other mods?

You gotta show us a bunch of pics. I like your car a lot.

I have a full body set and some things changed in the interior. The painting is getting crappy, but the engine is in now for more than a year, the brake upgrade is under construction, and when everything else is ready the car will get a nice new paint job. After that, I will flood the net with pics :D

edit:
Oh, and a full, stainless steel 60mm exhaust system :)

Slider
10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Have you tried some performance pads, stainless steel lines along with flushing your brake fluid? You'd be surprised at what difference good pads can make like
HPS or HP Plus http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/
Axxis Metal Masters or Ultimate http://www.buybrakes.com/axxis/

They won't bite as hard initially if it's below freezing but in all other situations they will give you more fade resistance and stopping power than the stock pads. They also dust more and eat rotors quicker.

Kastigir
10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Once you install your larger calipers, your reservoir might need refilling after pumping them up. Once the system is full however, it shouldn't need refilled. Might want to check periodically as the pads begin to wear.

LionTR
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Have you tried some performance pads, stainless steel lines along with flushing your brake fluid? You'd be surprised at what difference good pads can make like
HPS or HP Plus http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/
Axxis Metal Masters or Ultimate http://www.buybrakes.com/axxis/

They won't bite as hard initially if it's below freezing but in all other situations they will give you more fade resistance and stopping power than the stock pads. They also dust more and eat rotors quicker.

I already have the calipers, rotors, pads and brake lines (fluid and stock rotors/pads changed recently), I'm waiting for the part that will hold the calipers to be made.

Thanks for the links though, I will order from them the next time I need pads!