PDA

View Full Version : 86 GTS Performance Parts

Grot
10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
anyone know where to get ANY kind of performance parts for the 86 GTS. everything i find says Excluding GTS which blows.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Grot

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm your man. I know the 4th like I know no other car. What do you need? What is you budget? What are you trying to accomplish? Help me narrow down your focus from "any kind of......"

Grot
10-20-2008, 02:25 AM
mainly looking for some cheap bolt-ons.

Cold air, or short ram intake.
Aftermarket Header
An agressive sounding exaust, not ricey.

just gimme some parts, budget is somewhat flexible.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Specifics, my friend. Specifics.

Grot
10-20-2008, 03:29 AM
I havent been able to find ANY headers at all for the 3sge. i would like to find one.
the Cusco strut bar you talked about on another thread, where did you get it?
Does anyone make anykind of intake for the 3s? i havent found anything for this either.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 03:43 AM
For the header you're gonig to be limited to Pacesetter which is a shit company. Don't buy it. I speak from experience on that one.

You can fing the strut bar all over the place, just keep looking you'll find it. I think I bought mine from Jazz Pro Parts........

Weapon-R used to make an intake for our car, but they discontinued it. I'm one of the lucky few to score one back in the day. The 4th gen is kinda limited in that department because of the AFM.

Honestly, your biggest gains in performance are goin to be in the suspension department unless you swap out your 3SGE for a different engine. the 3SGE is a phenomenal engine........just not the 1st generation incarnation of it for the 4th gen 3SGE. I'm swapping a 3SGE out of a 1995 Celica SS-II into my 89 GT to get over the hump. It'll put down 170hp at the flywheel stock and is capable of all sorts of upgrades.

Grot
10-20-2008, 03:47 AM
im in the middle of swapping my 3s for another because the first one seized. not going down that road again.

i may just try to make an intake out of universal parts.
i will look for the strut bar to prevent scraping the front lip during turning.

how can you tell what gen your engine is? im assuming i have another 1st gen but wanna be sure.

the AFM is an air flow sensor is in not?
i can get an adaptor from Dr. Tweak if so.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 03:51 AM
im in the middle of swapping my 3s for another because the first one seized. not going down that road again.

i may just try to make an intake out of universal parts.
i will look for the strut bar to prevent scraping the front lip during turning.

how can you tell what gen your engine is? im assuming i have another 1st gen but wanna be sure.

the AFM is an air flow sensor is in not?
i can get an adaptor from Dr. Tweak if so.

AS a 4th Gen driver for over 10 years let me tell you that it performs like a dog, even with bolt ons.

Intake with universals? Go for it. Yes the AFM is an air flow meter. As for the adaptor, you can get that anywhere. You don't have to send out to Savannah to get that. Drive down the street to autozone or oreillys or something.....

oh yeah, btw, you can swap exhaust manifolds from other Toyotas into your GTS to solve the header slow-flow problem.

Care to elaborate on this front end scraping deal??? I'd like to know where you're going with that.

Grot
10-20-2008, 03:57 AM
i have a sweeping curve near my girlfriends house which i take daily and in the middle of the turn the black plastic front lip scrapes the pavement because of body roll, i assume. I amm wanting to get rid of the roll without ruining the ride.(too much)

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:01 AM
i have a sweeping curve near my girlfriends house which i take daily and in the middle of the turn the black plastic front lip scrapes the pavement because of body roll, i assume. I amm wanting to get rid of the roll without ruining the ride.(too much)

K dude. So nobody's car rolls so much that it bottoms out on the pavement. At least not from body roll. You are correct in that the strut bar will square up and stiffen your chassis, but your probelm probably lies in the struts. Replace them up front and THEN get the strut bar.

What do you think about that?

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:02 AM
I got my AFM adapter for Mudhoney on eBay for $10 with a cheap filter.

As far as suspension goes, there are companies out there that manufacture parts for it. Ajilon, who has one hell of a handling car, that happens to be slammed as well, is using Konis and some off brand springs. Eibach makes springs for us as well. The Konis are expensive, but they are the best.

As for a header, if I am not mistaken, the 3SGE does come with a factory header. At least I know that several 5SFE owners have swapped to the 3SGE header. Myself, I have a 3SFE. There are many headers out there for the 5SFE, I would assume that if a 3SGE header works on a 5S, the 5S header would work on a 3SGE.

Welcome aboard, you will find answers to almost all of your questions here.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:05 AM
i got another front lip to replace the trashed one and it had a few scrapes to, in the very corners. assuming that the junker i took it from. did the same thing.

note i am taking the corner at around 35 or 40.

but i think i also need struts, as the back squats horribly when you take off.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:07 AM
I got my AFM adapter for Mudhoney on eBay for $10 with a cheap filter.

As far as suspension goes, there are companies out there that manufacture parts for it. Ajilon, who has one hell of a handling car, that happens to be slammed as well, is using Konis and some off brand springs. Eibach makes springs for us as well. The Konis are expensive, but they are the best.

As for a header, if I am not mistaken, the 3SGE does come with a factory header. At least I know that several 5SFE owners have swapped to the 3SGE header. Myself, I have a 3SFE. There are many headers out there for the 5SFE, I would assume that if a 3SGE header works on a 5S, the 5S header would work on a 3SGE.

Welcome aboard, you will find answers to almost all of your questions here.

Yeah, what he said! :bigthumbu

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Murgatroy, the exaust manifold is more of a header design, but i believe header would do a better job with a new exaust as mine is damaged.

and also i just noticed we live in the same city, u live in west knox?

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:10 AM
i got another front lip to replace the trashed one and it had a few scrapes to, in the very corners. assuming that the junker i took it from. did the same thing.

note i am taking the corner at around 35 or 40.

but i think i also need struts, as the back squats horribly when you take off.

Speed notwithstanding, I still think you could get through the turn without bottoming out. That shit is old and worn. Take it from someone who has been there/done that in your car.

Not to be an ambulance chaser or something, but I am a dealer for Koni. I could set you up with a pair up front for pretty cheap. At that point you'd probably need to consider springs as well. But that's all up to you. If you wanna make a move lemme know and I'll quote you on some stuff........

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:12 AM
i need a new set all around. but want to get my car running first. what could i look at spending for a full set?

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:13 AM
with or without springs?

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:14 AM
without, for now at least.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:17 AM
definately south of $600........I can give you a solid quote tomorrow. Does that price range sound like something you can deal with? If not, I won't bother figuring out the firm price

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:17 AM
The factory designed header for the 3SGE is going to leaps and bounds better than most aftermarket designs. However, you could always go with an aftermarket header. The problems come with fitment, and compatibility with the rest of your system. Of course there are aftermarket catback systems too that you could use to eliminate that and your catalytic converter as well.

Yes, I live in West Knoxville. Just off of Cedar Bluff.

You may recognize my Celicas. Mudhoney, my 4th Gen, is a silver hatch with mismatched wheels, and Chaos is a rather smashed red 5th Gen with some primer grey bits and the rest of the mismatched wheels.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 04:18 AM
I'll be on all day tomorrow.......sleep now......

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:19 AM
just a question, is my 4th gen an st162?

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Yes. All NADM (North American Domestic Market) 4th Gens other than the Alltrac are ST162. The 4th Gen Alltrac is a ST165.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:22 AM
you by chance go to pellissippi? theres a car that looks like yours there.

but the turn im refering to is the right hand turn on ebenezer where it splits to north peters. the right hand right before the hill. i live just off cedar bluff as well. off fox lonas.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:25 AM
and is this the strut bar that would fit my car?

http://www.jazzproparts.com/product_p/152510.htm

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:26 AM
I went to ITT. I never attented Pellissippi.

If you live on Fox Lonas, then we are neighbors. You have probably seen all of my cars at one time or another. I live at Warrenhouse Apartments, just around the corner from you.

I tend not to drive fast in the city, as I grew up in the country, I head out into the mountains to get that out of my system.

I host our yearly Dragon Run, we have held it for many years running. Members from all over the country go out and run the Tail of the Dragon out through Deal's Gap.

That is where I get most of my aggressive driving out. The rest of the time I am normally tooling along minding my own business at or near the speed limit.

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:27 AM
and is this the strut bar that would fit my car?

http://www.jazzproparts.com/product_p/152510.htm
Yes, that bar will fit. The ST165 is virtually identical as far as the front of the car goes.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:29 AM
im almost positive ive seen you then. and youve more than likely seen me. i drove a big ass maroon crown vic with an angel on the hood for a while, and now i have my celica, which i wish was running.

you know of any honest shops around town? i normally do my own work, but just cant get har to run after almost finishing my swap.

did u buy you intake adaptor at the advance next to the CVS?

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:35 AM
No, I ordered my adapter off of eBay. Just do a search for 'AFM Adapter' and you will find a million, I got mine with a filter for $10 or so.

As for that Advance, we have a couple of members working there. The one younger guy with a red primered up GT 5th Gen and then another guy with a 1UZFE swapped MKIII Supra and a ST165. Neither of them post often, but they are both familiar with the site.

As far as 'honest' shops, I am of the opinion that no shop is totally honest. Even if they do it for the love, they are still in it for the money. I have dealt with Blindside before, Performance Products is just purely a Speed Shop, but I have gotten a lot of goodies from them back when I was still heavy into domestics. There are a couple more shops scattered about. Most any of them will work with you to a point, but I don't make a habit of trusting them more than I have to.

I do almost all of my own work. Chaos has seen the inside of one shop without me in 8 years, and that was only for an afternoon.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:37 AM
yea i know daniel (i think) with the supra. i dont know if ive seen the celica, although i know just about everyone there and am still trying to get a job there.

and over off schafer rd there is a shop called toypro. you heard anything good or bad about them? i was thinking about taking it there.

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Never heard of them. That could be good.

What exactly are you needing done with your car? I understand you are swapping a seized 1rst Gen 3SGE for a running 1rst Gen 3SGE?

Have you sourced your new engine? Do you have a space to do it in? Tools? Or is this why you are looking for a shop?

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:44 AM
i already have the swap done, and the car is sitting with the new engine in my garage. just when you crank it, its a no go. i have another threadHere (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37251) with the exact problem.

and i just want a shop to get the bitch to start.

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Ah, I understand your frustration then.

The big problem with taking it to a shop though is that they will charge you ~$70 an hour to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem.

It could get rather costly really fast.

But again, I understand the need of having a running car.

Grot
10-20-2008, 04:58 AM
well between me, my dad and my neighbors, 3 of which are engineers of different specialitys, we cant get the car to run and we have spent $2500 on an engine swap and i just need to get to skool and back home without bumming rides from everyone.

RedRkt01
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes. All NADM (North American Domestic Market) 4th Gens other than the Alltrac are ST162. The 4th Gen Alltrac is a ST165.

Just to let you know..........USDM got the ST161 until the face lift.

Murgatroy
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
The ST161 was the ST/GT with a 2SE right? I thought we only got that in `86?

I thought it was a ST162, I didn't realize it had a different chassis code.

RedRkt01
10-21-2008, 01:02 AM
The ST161 was the ST/GT with a 2SE right? I thought we only got that in `86?

I thought it was a ST162, I didn't realize it had a different chassis code.

Yeah, it was around until '87. Then the face lift happend in effect dumping the 2SE and introducing the ST165. I look back and wonder why they offer that shitty little engine in the first place.

Grot
10-21-2008, 03:05 AM
so mine is an st161?

Murgatroy
10-21-2008, 03:18 AM
No, yours is an ST162. The NADM GT-S was always a ST162.

Grot
10-21-2008, 03:25 AM
alright, im talking to dr. tweak about my car. maybe he has an idea about why its not running.

Murgatroy
10-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Tweak is the man.

85gtsblackman
10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
hi, get front and rear sway bars and new springs, you can get away with cheap lowering spring but have good shocks with them