PDA

View Full Version : Keys locked in the car...?

H8PVMNT
10-16-2008, 10:39 PM
My 3 year old locked the doors on the way out and the only spare was in my wife's purse inside the car... Does anyone have any schematics on the door lock mechanism or any tricks that might help me break into my car? I have a 1991 GT-S. I picked up a slim jim today but I don't want to break anything poking around in there...

20v Blacktop ST
10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Coat hanger through the window tends to be the fastest way for me, haven't tried the door mechanism yet on this car.

Shadowlife25
10-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Wire hanger through window top, then push the unlock button. :)

Ads28
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
yeaaaa our frameless windows make it real easy to pull back the window and sneek in a coat hanger in

Murgatroy
10-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Apply force with a boot to the window.

Access is guaranteed.

geebes
10-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Travel back in time, make a spare set that you only keep at home. Where's Doc, because its time to go back...to the FUTURE!!!

Do the window thing.

H8PVMNT
10-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Used a wire coat hanger from the back corner and hooked the door lock button and yanked... it worked without any damage except scratching up the seal a bit. Thanks guys! Actually, I have been looking into time travel... :laugh:

Shadowlife25
10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
I have mastered time travel. I could tell you how..............

But I'd have to kill you. :hehe:

P.S. Glad it worked.

k.beaty
10-17-2008, 03:08 AM

Access is guaranteed.

lol at Murg's method. He's right though, it'll work!

Murgatroy
10-17-2008, 03:16 AM
As a youth, I had very little patience.

I learned after several replacement windows that it was much cheaper, and less effort, to get a $2 replacement key made and then duct tape said key to the inside bumper, than to replace the offending window to retrieve my keys.

Even to this day (and for the record I have only ever locked my keys in my car twice in 20 years,) I get extra keys made for that exact purpose almost immediately after purchasing a new car.

It also comes in handy for rescuing your car from an impound lot, where your keys are usually held hostage in exchange for an exuberant fee.

celica91gts
10-17-2008, 03:22 AM
they sell these things at walmart for like 7 bucks. its a container made to hold a spare key and attached to the container is a really strong magnet you use to attach it to your frame somewhere underneath the car.

andy
10-17-2008, 03:46 AM
the 5th gen has a really good hiding spot on it for a spare key. its on the back where you pop off the corner light (little red reflector thingy) theres a perfect slot for a spare key there. (saved me once or twice)

Luis C
10-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Sorry to ask but... how can a 3 year old hold the car door handle up and still have the enough force to close the door?
Im not implying anything, its just that if my wife who is 34 y.o. and weighs 55 kgs still has trouble closing the door and getting it to lock properly so I cant understand how your kid managed to close AND lock the door

Murgatroy
10-17-2008, 04:25 AM
I don't have to hold the handle up on either of my Celicas to lock the door. Push the lock, shut the door, door is shut and locked.

I haven't owned a car newer than `82 that had to have the handle held up while the door was shut to retain the lock.

H8PVMNT
10-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Sorry to ask but... how can a 3 year old hold the car door handle up and still have the enough force to close the door?
Im not implying anything, its just that if my wife who is 34 y.o. and weighs 55 kgs still has trouble closing the door and getting it to lock properly so I cant understand how your kid managed to close AND lock the door

He likes to push buttons... on the way out from the back seat he pushed the power lock button and then closed the door. And you don't have to pull up the handle on my car. He is bery big for his age too... :)

celica91gts
10-17-2008, 05:20 AM
He likes to push buttons... on the way out from the back seat he pushed the power lock button and then closed the door. And you don't have to pull up the handle on my car. He is bery big for his age too... :)

berry berrrrrry big? =P

Slider
10-17-2008, 05:39 AM

Celicas over here don't have that feature. My Miata does though, I was so confused when I locked the door, closed it and it was unlocked. It drove me nuts, finally I just locked it with the key and went to work wondering wtf is wrong with the lock mechanism.

H8PVMNT
10-17-2008, 06:01 AM
berry berrrrrry big? =P
bery. I should edit, but now it's funny, so I won't.

H8PVMNT
10-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Celicas over here don't have that feature. My Miata does though, I was so confused when I locked the door, closed it and it was unlocked. It drove me nuts, finally I just locked it with the key and went to work wondering wtf is wrong with the lock mechanism.

The '81 Toyota "Superbeater" we have is like that too, but it doesn't have any glass so it really doesn't matter.

91 Celica GT-S
10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
if you have a friend with a screwdriver/pocket knife and you have fairly skinny arms.
carefully get the screwdriver on the top window pry out enough to get your hands on. now get your friend to pull the window out towards you and believe me they can go back quite far. then just stick your arm in there and unlock it manually.
i was quite impressed and didnt have to find a coat hanger.

DaneDog311
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Access is guaranteed.

That method works great... used that once at a junkyard when i locked my keys in my nissan... even bought a window from the yard right after that :)

Locked out of running blazer one time... just joking (a little angrily) and said i'll head but the damn window out... headbutted the window not thinking it would work and instant access into my s10 :)

but seriously... make spares... I have like 3 sets to every car and usually a mini handle key in my wallet... AAA memberships have lockouts for free

and if you use a slim jim you need to slide the lock rod left to right... go towards the middle of the door... it's way easier to coat hanger through the inside...

glad ya got in though...

extremeskillz
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I keep a spare in my wallet for this type of thing and it's come in handy a couple of times!

Cavanagh
10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
The last time I saw my celica, the towers locked it, and I didn't know who had my keys after the accident, I didn't have my spare to my celica, and I found out that those windows can FLEX. Someone here told me about the spare-in-wallet trick in a thread, and it has saved me more then once to say the least.

Slider
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
One bad thing about the spare in the wallet is if you lose your wallet whoever finds it has your car key and address. Maybe your car information too if you have your insurance card in there.

Luis C
10-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Sorry... I was under the impression that all Celicas had the feature where the door wouldn't lock from the outside unless the door handle is held up... my bad