PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me a clutch :)

PhillyDRFT
10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok don't ask what it's for...

but I need recommendations pref from people who have them or have used them. This means you Korean Joey!

I need a 5sfe clutch that can be daily driven but handle itself well under Autocross and a bit of road racing.

leaning tword the spec because I've heard good things from everyone about it but I just want some opinions.

ciento44
10-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Stock....

My last one held up to 160k miles of abuse....

The launch is the hardest part on a clutch... once you're moving, it's not bad. Stock clutch is just fine for road racing and the like.

Ryan
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
South Bend clutch or Exedy. I haveheard REALLY good things about both. I'm pretty sure south bend clutch has really good guarantees and warranties

ciento44
10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Just to reinforce my choice.... after that replacement, it spent another 60k miles being beat on, had over 300 drag passes, a Dragon weekend, and a few bottles of nitrous through it. When i sold it a few months ago, it still had grabbing power to chird 3rd on occasion, and would always roast 2nd.

KoreanJoey
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
stock disk with upgraded pressure plate.

ciento44
10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
stock disk with upgraded pressure plate.

This is fine, too....

It's what i have in my car currently. It's a Clutchmasters of some sort pressure plate, i think (and hope) it's a "Stage One."

PhillyDRFT
10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
South Bend clutch or Exedy. I haveheard REALLY good things about both. I'm pretty sure south bend clutch has really good guarantees and warranties

wasn't there a discussion at one point about them being the same?

celica9303
10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm preety sure most if not all clutch disc are made by exedy. I could be wrong.

Personally love my centerforce dual friction and fidanza flywheel combo.

Stay away from spec

PhillyDRFT
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm leaning tword the South Bend, They are way in my price range and they offer cryo treatment so that makes me smile ^.^
I'm gonna give them a call and see.

I was pondering splurging on an ACT because thats what I have in the 240 rite now and I'm very pleased. but since everyones saying I don't need much more than stock. the South Bend rally series says 20% more torque so that sounds about rite.

vip09
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a Southbend clutch in both my Alltrac, and the GT-S. I LOVE them both! I have the SS Track DXD-F in my Alltrac. It has a stiff pedal feel and grabs HARD. I have the HD Street Rally in my GT-S (it's the cheapest one).. I absolutely love it. It grabs harder than the stock clutch and has a pretty much stock pedal feel.. the pedal might even feel lighter than stock. It doesn't take much effort at all. I have 40k miles of abuse on it so far and it grabs just as good as day 1. You can ask Andy and Ben how hard I drive my GT-S.. lol.

Ryan
10-15-2008, 09:53 PM
South bend makes their own.

andy
10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
SOUTHBEND! i have it in my swap, my bro has one in his honda b18c1 and my dad is using one in his 1jz supra. All have been excellent.

wizzards581
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
i heard spec clutches were bad...

i vote for act clutch.. street disc w/ extreme pp.

Hiko
10-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I need a 5sfe clutch that can be daily driven but handle itself well under Autocross and a bit of road racing.

Coming from someone who has had to buy 4 clutch kits for the 5sfe (I really wish I was kidding), I would get a stock replacement from exedy or some other third party company, but NOT(!!!!) from Toyota.

The clutch disk I bought from Toyota to replace my original clutch was a reman unit, and to the best of my knowledge, Toyota no longer sells truly new clutch disks. The studs used to hold the friction pads to the plate sheared after one year and only 6 autocross events. And I did break it in by going easy on it for about 1000 miles.

Another heads up, not all exedys seem to be made equal. One of the kits I bought (the one that went in) actually had the springs in the disk, and newer looking friction pad. Another one that I still have, has older looking disk and rubber vibration pads.

[Shameless plug]If you are looking for a pre-8(?)/90 clutch kit, I still have the rubber vibration piece one. I'm not sure it would be ideal for road racing or autocross, but just to throw out there.[/Shameless plug]

RIalltrac
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Got about a year out of my spec, stage 2 sprung with kevlar face, then it ate a spring....now my alltrac sits in the garage until I can muster up the time to replace the damn disc. Personally I'm going back to stock, because even when the clutch was fully functional it grabbed like shite.