PDA

View Full Version : Car is dead

aballz
10-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Hi guys

It's been awhile since I've posted but I very much need your expertise out there! So yesterday my car wouldn't start. I would turn the ignition, no sound, no nothing. The radio, door locks, lights in the car still seemed to work. When i turned the ignition, the clock goes dim. I thought it was the battery at first sine I've never changed the battery since i got the car 2 years ago. It looked like it was a pretty old condition. Today I got around to changing the battery today. The car still wouldn't start. I had my girlfriend turn the ignition and I didn't hear any clicks or anything. I think I might of even smelled something burning. But it was outdoors and it was kind of close to a big street. Do you guys think my starter is dead or something else?

Shadowlife25
10-15-2008, 04:25 AM
I would first check your starter ground. Report back when done. :)

polish dude
10-15-2008, 05:05 AM
try this.

press

on

the

CLOUTCH.

if that doesn't work. cloutch sensor. i just had a case of that on my friends mr2.

polish dude
10-15-2008, 05:06 AM
you can always jump the starter that will tell you if it's working or not.

geebes
10-15-2008, 05:24 AM
press

on

the

CLOUTCH.

Whats a CLOUTCH?

Slider
10-15-2008, 05:38 AM
lol you know what he meant

aballz
10-15-2008, 05:43 AM
So I checked the grounding and it looks fine. I have other news to report on though. With my car turned to the on position, the fan, interior lights, power locks they all work. But I also hear this constant clicking (every 1 second)which I believe is coming from the radio. It almost sounds like it wants to turn on but isn't getting enough juice. The antenna isn't raising up nor is the radio turning on. Is this some kind of relay issue? I don't understand why the new battery won't power on the radio.

celica91gts
10-15-2008, 05:55 AM
try this.

press

on

the

CLOUTCH.

if that doesn't work. cloutch sensor. i just had a case of that on my friends mr2.

the guy also has an rsx-s... im pretty sure he knows what a clutch* is lol.

aballz
10-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Yes I do know what the clutch is lol. But this clutch sensor, where's that?

celicaGT90_05
10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
dont you mean cloutch sensor? lol They are usually mounted somewhere on or near the pedal. If you inspect Im sure you cant miss it but it may be up a ways under the dash

aballz
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll take a look at the sensor when I get off of work. I don't think that explains the radio issue though, the radio used to turn on with the ignition in the "on" position.

extremeskillz
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
What else do yo get when you put the ignition to on? Your dash should light up like a Christmas tree too.

aballz
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Yup everything on the dash comes on. The chime you hear with the key in the ignition plays. The clock comes on too until I turn and try to crank the engine, it goes dim, then disappears all together. Once I stop trying to crank, the clock comes back. Is it some kind of relay maybe?

ciento44
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I think it's still your battery.... Or a bad connection somewhere from the battery.

aballz
10-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know where the major grounding points are in the car?

Pictures would be highly helpful! :)

david in germany
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
SOunds like the starter solenoid. My Celica would do the same when the contacts went bad. Tap the starter with a hard object and try it again. It may take a couple of times but if it starts time to get new contacts for the starter or replace the starter. Contacts will cost you about $14 and the starter will cost you an arm and a leg.

david in germany
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
My starter rebuild writeup

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7506&postcount=1

aballz
10-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you David. It appears that this task may be a little out of my league. I appreciate your help. I guess I'll have to bring it to an auto shop, maybe I'll get my AC problem diagnosed at the same time. Once again thanks everyone!

polish dude
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
first make sure the new battery has at least 10 volts.

your starter has two wires going to it. high tension straight from battery and and a small one from your ignitions switch. pull the plug with the small wire and using a piece of some other wire to make a connection between the high tention wire and the other plug on the starter. make sure your key is in the ON position and the car is out of gear.

if the car starts the starter is fine and it's either you ignition switch or clutch sensore (located by clutch pedal ).

if you run the engine code error test it should tell you if it's a ignition switch.

aballz
10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
The CEL hasn't popped out anything the last time I checked unless it was a short code. I sure hope it's the clutch sensor, I'll check it when I get home.

Edit: What I meant is that there was no check engine light on prior to the car dying. I don't remember how to diagnose the CEL. I believe i found a link somewhere on this site before but I forgot where that was.

Shadowlife25
10-15-2008, 11:03 PM
To check cel bridge T1 and E1.

I don't believe that the diagnostics cover ignition switch though. OBD1 is not that advanced.

Shadowlife25
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
SOunds like the starter solenoid. My Celica would do the same when the contacts went bad. Tap the starter with a hard object and try it again. It may take a couple of times but if it starts time to get new contacts for the starter or replace the starter. Contacts will cost you about $14 and the starter will cost you an arm and a leg.

David, would the starter contacts going out effect power getting to accessories such as the radio and clock?

P.S.

Did you check all your fuses, both in-cabin and in the engine bay? I know it may sound dumb, but it's worth a shot right? :)

aballz
10-16-2008, 12:59 AM
David, would the starter contacts going out effect power getting to accessories such as the radio and clock?

P.S.

Did you check all your fuses, both in-cabin and in the engine bay? I know it may sound dumb, but it's worth a shot right? :)

I'll add that onto my checklist. There's 2 or 3 in the engine bay and 1 under the steering column right? I'm almost off work, I hope there will be some sun left when I get home.

Shadowlife25
10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Engine bay and driver's side kick panel.

david in germany
10-16-2008, 05:21 AM

No.

I would turn the ignition, no sound, no nothing. The radio, door locks, lights in the car still seemed to work. When i turned the ignition, the clock goes dim. I thought it was the battery at first sine I've never changed the battery since i got the car 2 years ago. ... I had my girlfriend turn the ignition and I didn't hear any clicks or anything. Do you guys think my starter is dead or something else?
Above are the exact symptoms of the bad starter solenoid.

aballz
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks David, I brought it into the shop. We'll see what they say. I also checked the clutch sensor and fuses all over, they looked good.

aballz
10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi all, I just wanted to follow up with you guys on what the shop said. In fact there was no hardware problem. It was electrical. The mechanic called and told me that there's an old security system on the car that engaged like an engine kill type thing. He said they rewired the car to go through the normal ignition/wires. I always wondered what that thing on the bottom of the steering column was. It looked like a special type of socket where a key was supposed to be plugged in. Thanks for all your help and advice!

bcaff
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Interesting. I would have guessed that you needed to replace the starter. I had a starting issue and it turned out to be bad contacts in the starter (it would start when I hit it with a hammer).

My dad's F-150 came with a security lock similar to what you mentioned when he bought it used from a dealership. They tried to sell the system (which was already installed) to him when he bought the truck but he didn't want to pay for it. They inserted some sort of pcb chip into the slot that can't be removed so its more like a permant key that they put in it so it is still driveable, but not functional as an actual security device.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Shadowlife25
10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Glad you got it figured out. If I'd known it was equipped with an anti-theft system I would have given different advice. ;)
We had a write-up done on how to revamp the Toyota factory security system not too long ago.

aballz
10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
If I only I knew there was a security system in it. For the +2 years I've own it, I've never touched that thing and the car worked fine. Crazy stuff I tells ya.

celica9303
10-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Starter kill is great, except when your trying to steal your own car......

Shadowlife25
10-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Starter kill is great, except when your trying to steal your own car......

;) True true. But how often do you need to do that? :D

celica9303
10-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Ask aballz.......lol

aballz
10-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Lol, once and only final time!