PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming...

ciento44
10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Which means that it's coming close to time for me to really rip into this car...

In the spirit of Trance's thread trying to figure out what to do to the exterior, these will be my main questions for today:

1) Paint
2) Hood
3) Taillights
4) Foglights
5) Wing/no wing?
6) rims color?
7) front lip/splitter?

1) I don't know if i want to keep the car black and get it repainted, or if i want to go NSX blue. (Long Beach Blue Pearl) It's a stupidly expensive paint, i would honestly just get it matched by a buddy that works at a body shop. But here's an example of the color:

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/uploads/nsx_blu_still_rt.jpg

Price to paint the car either color will vary no more than $300, so don't equate price into the decision. If i do the blue, i will not do the interior that color, but will do the door jambs.

2) What hood to get? I'm personally leaning towards keeping the OEM non-vented. I ended up not getting that CF hood awhile back, the deal just wasn't good after shipping, so i'm still rocking the OEM metal one. I WILL need a new one, as the one on the car right now is not repairable in a cost-effective solution. So... do i get OEM metal? OEM CF? AllTrac? AllTrac CF? RC CF? (I refuse to fork out the money for an OEM RC hood)

3) I like my redded out tails... but i'm wondering if the matching red centerpiece from the 90-91 hatch would look good with it. Thoughts?

4) Do i rock no fogs? Stock fogs in the outer RC bumper holes? Or do i try to track down the stock RC fogs?

5) I like the look of the stock lip spoiler, but i wish it was more aggressive, maybe longer, protruding off the back of the car like the common civic extended trunk lip spoiler. Or do i just go for a GT-style wang? I'm talking like.... CF time-attack style. Here's a pic of the Civic style for reference.

http://images.extremedimensions.com/ExtImages/96_civicspyderwing.jpg
http://images.extremedimensions.com/ExtImages/96_civic2drccflushmountwing.jpg

6) Unless the big brake kit thread gets updated with something that says "yes, we're going to be able to do this," i'm sticking with 7th gen GTS wheels for the time being. What color should i powdercoat them? Bronze, black, gold, some other color not as often done, such as blue or red? Or should i try to polish them for that Dayyyuuummmmm look?

7) Do i want to try to track down the savage lip for the front? Or do i create my own more agressive splitter-style?

Oh, and the rear bumper things on this civic.... i want something like this. Do they exist for the 5th gens?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/infa250/HungNEW011.jpg

Opinions, please. :) And just that. No fighting. If you think the car looks better looking completely stock with an RC bumper, then say so. If you could number your response in correlation to the questions, that would be great, too. :)

Thanks! :wiggle:

burnyd
10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Dont forget the interrior lols, you better bump that thread!!!

ciento44
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Dont forget the interrior lols, you better bump that thread!!!

Wat

What are you talking about buddy? I don't have much of an interior to speak of, and it's staying that way.

Just put your opinions for numbers 1-7 f00!! :smokin:

PhillyDRFT
10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Oh lawd... I had to "Go advanced" for this one...

Ahem. my two and a half cents.

1: Can you paint yourself? This will be the defining answer for you. If you have the place and equip I can talk you through it. I also have some sources for good cheap paint but it's not something I want to give everyone yet ^.^

If not, I would detail the black real well. Solid black is one of the easiest colors to fix and restore at home. Why do you need to respray? It's hard to mismatch with off the shelf paint if you have to spray new parts. I wouldn't bother painting the jambs if they are already black. Blue/black trim always looks nice. No one will notice. If you can get your buddy to hook you up with the NSX blue for 300$ go for it. or am I misreading?

2: Save the hood money and get a FMIC. Unless you're planning to use the WTA .. I don't know what you're planning to use. I personally don't like the AT hood with the CS fascia. I think it's better suited to the 92/93 GT-S front. with the larger fog lights.

3: You should have traded me your 92+ tails for my 91's!!!! you could have redded them out lol I like them clean myself. It'll look fine with the 91 center piece but they will still have the darker black trim. So it'll end on your personal taste.

4: Try for the RC fogs, if all else fails. You're crafty enough to get the oem's in there.

5: Hmm ever think about moving the stock 3 piece back and modding it a little? They do it on AW11's. The same concept "could" work, but I haven't seen a 3 piece in a while. If there isn't enough room. Then I wouldn't mess around with fitting a whale tail. Too much trouble and I don't think it suits the lines of the GT well.
Link for refference: http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/diary13.htm

6: Ever think about hammered / textured finishes? I know it'll be a pain in the ass to get brake dust out, but if you use good pads and wash regularly I don't think it will be a problem on hammered. It's different if thats what you're looking for. If you feel like being really creative look up metal patinas. they are used in metalworking and artistry. I've never seen anyone try it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

7: A diy splitter would look pretty good IMHO. just as long as it's subtle. so no chrome adjustment rods sticking out of the bumper.

As for the rear valance. I've never seen any for the celica but you might look into fitting some from other cars. It may not be hard. If you decide to make your own. It's pretty simple with foam and fiberglass.

ciento44
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh lawd... I had to "Go advanced" for this one...

Ahem. my two and a half cents.

1: Can you paint yourself? This will be the defining answer for you. If you have the place and equip I can talk you through it. I also have some sources for good cheap paint but it's not something I want to give everyone yet ^.^

If not, I would detail the black real well. Solid black is one of the easiest colors to fix and restore at home. Why do you need to respray? It's hard to mismatch with off the shelf paint if you have to spray new parts. I wouldn't bother painting the jambs if they are already black. Blue/black trim always looks nice. No one will notice. If you can get your buddy to hook you up with the NSX blue for 300$ go for it. or am I misreading?

2: Save the hood money and get a FMIC. Unless you're planning to use the WTA .. I don't know what you're planning to use. I personally don't like the AT hood with the CS fascia. I think it's better suited to the 92/93 GT-S front. with the larger fog lights.

3: You should have traded me your 92+ tails for my 91's!!!! you could have redded them out lol I like them clean myself. It'll look fine with the 91 center piece but they will still have the darker black trim. So it'll end on your personal taste.

4: Try for the RC fogs, if all else fails. You're crafty enough to get the oem's in there.

5: Hmm ever think about moving the stock 3 piece back and modding it a little? They do it on AW11's. The same concept "could" work, but I haven't seen a 3 piece in a while. If there isn't enough room. Then I wouldn't mess around with fitting a whale tail. Too much trouble and I don't think it suits the lines of the GT well.
Link for refference: http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/diary13.htm

6: Ever think about hammered / textured finishes? I know it'll be a pain in the ass to get brake dust out, but if you use good pads and wash regularly I don't think it will be a problem on hammered. It's different if thats what you're looking for. If you feel like being really creative look up metal patinas. they are used in metalworking and artistry. I've never seen anyone try it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

7: A diy splitter would look pretty good IMHO. just as long as it's subtle. so no chrome adjustment rods sticking out of the bumper.

As for the rear valance. I've never seen any for the celica but you might look into fitting some from other cars. It may not be hard. If you decide to make your own. It's pretty simple with foam and fiberglass.

Hahah, sweet, first real reply.

I'll have to answer some of these for you....

1) I can either have a pro do it, including ALL the body work, for ~$1000 for black, ~$1200 for the NSX blue. Considering that there's over 80 dents on the car, i'd say that's more than fair. Which, this is also the reason that it's going to NEED repainting. Or, i have a buddy that does body/paint work for a local dealer that would do it for some free beer + cost of materials, which is probably what i'll end up doing. From a strictly color-only standpoint, which do you like better?

2) I need a new hood. Mine has enough dents that it's not repairable. I already have a FMIC on the way i think, i'm just waiting on a shipping quote.

4) I know how to get OEMs in there, and i'll be doing that for now, but i would really like to find a set of the RCs. :( Which do you personally like best out of the three options, though? Strictly in terms of looks.

5) I don't have a 3-piece on my car now. I have the lip spoiler like 92-GT does, as well. I was looking more into just extending that out. Pics of the rear are in my garage.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=3601&garage=1182

The rear valance, i think i'm just going to order a civic set like in the picture and see what i can do with it... they can't possibly be that expensive.

Ryan
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
-Either blue or black with bronze wheels.

-Either oem carbon fiber hood, or the cs hood.

-Stock tails.

-I'm with philly on the fogs.

-Keep the stock lip spoiler.

-As far as splitters, just fab up a badass front lip, and possibly get a subtle rear splitter.

-Exhaust, I'm thinking stacks buddy...lol...jk. Your idea was pretty badass. Or you could do what the supras do with the angled exhaust.lol

ciento44
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
-Either blue or black with bronze wheels.

-Either oem carbon fiber hood, or the cs hood.

-Stock tails.

-I'm with philly on the fogs.

-Keep the stock lip spoiler.

-As far as splitters, just fab up a badass front lip, and possibly get a subtle rear splitter.

-Exhaust, I'm thinking stacks buddy...lol...jk. Your idea was pretty badass. Or you could do what the supras do with the angled exhaust.lol

Oh, the exhaust will be a side exit out a body panel... that's already been decided. :)

Maybe i'll just cut speed holes in the rear bumper. :hehe:

Ryan
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Do EEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhillyDRFT
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Wtf is a speed hole? Is it like a glory hole?

In response. I like the NSX blue it's worth the extra if you're not pressed for time or money.

Hood. plane metal unless you need/want the function of the AT , CS. Unless a CF hood falls in your lap I personally wouldn't put out the money unless weight was an issue. I think the extra 400$ can be better spent elsewhere than saving you 20lbs.

I don't have a big opinion on the foglights. I haven't seen the 92+ lights in the CS bumper actually. If the gap isn't too drastic or noticeable at all I would just use them wile in search for the CS lights. Since you'll have the wiring done already.

ciento44
10-14-2008, 09:21 PM

In response. I like the NSX blue it's worth the extra if you're not pressed for time or money.

Hood. plane metal unless you need/want the function of the AT , CS. Unless a CF hood falls in your lap I personally wouldn't put out the money unless weight was an issue. I think the extra 400$ can be better spent elsewhere than saving you 20lbs.

I don't have a big opinion on the foglights. I haven't seen the 92+ lights in the CS bumper actually. If the gap isn't too drastic or noticeable at all I would just use them wile in search for the CS lights. Since you'll have the wiring done already.

Here's the differences....
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16653

The first black car has CS bumper with the GT/GTS fogs.

The red car has the stock fogs for use with CS bumper.

geebes
10-15-2008, 12:29 AM
1) Paint- I really like that NSX blue you referred to, if you have the money. I would stick with black though...because its secksay.
2) Hood-CF RC hood is always a good choice, or CF Stock...depending on what the car is going to be used for.
3) Taillights-Sure
4) Foglights-I want to see a set of 4, thats right I said it, 4 hellas in a custom light bar.
5) Wing/no wing? I enjoy the stock lip wing.
6) rims color? Gunmetal, or gold nigga.
7) front lip/splitter? Whatever, keep it tasty.

Cavanagh
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM

:lolhittin
uh....get it in black, powder coat the 7th gen rims bronze, get a stock cf hood (i know how you feel on those), with cs bumper cover with cs fogs. a 3 piece spoiler will suit you well.

Oh, and if you do otherwise, you FAIL. :D

ciento44
10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
:lolhittin
uh....get it in black, powder coat the 7th gen rims bronze, get a stock cf hood (i know how you feel on those), with cs bumper cover with cs fogs. a 3 piece spoiler will suit you well.

Oh, and if you do otherwise, you FAIL. :D

Lol... 3-piece spoiler is not an option. I hate the way they look on hatches.

But the rest of it, i like. :hehe:

tuner4life
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
bright silver rims would look good on that blue. As for the exhaust, maybe try to run it out of the lower rear quarterpanels. You could even "Y" it off and run it out both sides. That would be cool.

Kind of like this one, but right behind the rear wheels on both sides.

http://carterperformanceresearch.com/images/Ranger%20Side1.jpg

ciento44
10-15-2008, 04:30 PM
bright silver rims would look good on that blue. As for the exhaust, maybe try to run it out of the lower rear quarterpanels. You could even "Y" it off and run it out both sides. That would be cool.

Ewwww.... dual side exit exhaust on a 4-banger? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :hehe:

I think i'm going to run it out the front fender lol. Saves some weight, restriction, all that jazz.

Yeah, i'm still swaying between my rim color options.... the cool thing is, that any of the options would look good with either color paint. :)

Ryan
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Kind of like this one, but right behind the rear wheels on both sides.

http://carterperformanceresearch.com/images/Ranger%20Side1.jpg

And of course you link a picture to a fucking ford ranger...lol.

Ryan
10-15-2008, 05:52 PM
turner, i fixed your sig...lolz

SAAB:
Built like a Mercedes-ish, almost Safer than a Volvo, not quite as Quick as a Cossy, trying to have the Luxury of a Rolls, Looks from an Alfa but not quite, but trying so hard to be cooler than a BMW.

tuner4life
10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
you fail...

But I award you with the roflcopter chick for your efforts...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/5/5/0/roflcopterblackgirl.bmp

Ryan
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
You my friend have just epically failed....HARD!!!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/93-mx-3/epic-fail.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/93-mx-3/funny-pictures-bird-cat-cage.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/93-mx-3/Epic_Failashx.gif

ciento44
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Stop whoring up my thread, bitches.

Cavanagh
10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
What spoilers are you looking into? I like that carbon fiber spoiler on that blue Civic, but fitment would prolly be more then a problem. :) And if you get a lip, please, please, please do no get one of those that stick out about 3 feet from the cars bumper!!!! AHH

ciento44
10-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Like.... a big GT-style wang.

http://www.torqline.com/news_pic.php?id=128

This would be nice....

Ryan
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Please dont^ do the lip spoiler...

ciento44
10-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Hahahaa.... I'm totally serious dude... I've been wanting to do a really agressive 5th gen for a loooonnnggg time.

http://www.carparts.com/wcsstore/carparts/images/imagecache/G_11916G_CL_1.jpg

Do want?

Ryan
10-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Noooooooo............... lol. Just extend yours....lol

Trance4c
10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
I understand the interest in changing from black, both my long past GT and my GTS were originally black.

Living in FL over the last 7 years now, I'm not interested in dark colors (hence my interest in white and other light colors). Its amazing the difference it makes!

Again, I think keeping the interior stock and CLEAN makes for a very nice car. The only thing left to redo in mine is the seats in black leather. Then my interior will truly reflect my more mature appeal.

I don't believe the lip pieces you speak of specific exist for the 5th gen, though they do for the 6th. If anything, mild kit pieces if you absolutely wanted to. Since your staying with the 7th gen GTS wheels though, I would urge you to do just a custom lip front as well and keep the body stock. Just keep it nice, keep it clean and make sure edges on the paint job look great!

The whale tail wing is also a nice idea, I have gone the same route. The stock flush piece wing that just sits on the trunk might be exactly what your looking for. I happen to come across one in perfect shape for 5 bucks out of the junkyard and I'm sitting on it to eventually be installed.

geebes
10-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Am I too late for the fail pics?
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/ufail.gif

Ryan
10-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Sorry geebes.....

19celica90
10-16-2008, 01:28 AM
just buy my 7th gen gts wang and buy some hub cap spinners.....call it a day

Ryan
10-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Friggin right!!!! hubrims for the win!

KoreanJoey
10-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Fuck the look, more performance. Buy my E153 asshat!

:)

ciento44
10-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Fuck the look, more performance. Buy my E153 asshat!

:)

You got that thing off the car yet? :D

It's not ALL for looks..... I'd like to try my hand at time attack eventually in this car.

But the performance is coming first.... it's not going to be that pretty of a car come next Dragon time, but you bet your ass it's going to move like crazy. The paint job won't be done until after the Dragon, but the rest of the pieces, probably.

ciento44
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
just buy my 7th gen gts wang and buy some hub cap spinners.....call it a day

You still have that thing? Damnnnnn.... I'll take it just for giggles, but can you paint it black beforehand?

KoreanJoey
10-19-2008, 01:52 AM
You got that thing off the car yet? :D

Got it off the car today!

19celica90
10-19-2008, 03:00 AM
You still have that thing? Damnnnnn.... I'll take it just for giggles, but can you paint it black beforehand?
prolly cant paint it black...sorry

Ryan
10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Rattle can for the win

ciento44
10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Got it off the car today!

PM me your address again. :)

I just had to pay some tickets again, though. So i'll send the monies out on the 31st, if that's ok with you. If you can get the shipping quote, too, then i can just send everything at once.