PDA

View Full Version : How does c-tech feel about the vee-dub

PhillyDRFT
10-11-2008, 04:57 AM
I've never been a big fan of VW but haven driven a few, I can see myself owning one.

I really like the corrado but it's not very practical for my needs.

At the moment I have 4 cars. None of which I can daily drive.

MR2 - leaks everywhere / in the process of getting classic tags/insurance
Del Sol - Bad Alt, for sale
Celica - Blown engine
240 - Bad sensor/electrical causing it to loose power when warm

So I have someone willing to trade me their 97' GTI VR6 straight up for my 240. I'll probly go check it out this weekend.

It has a new clutch, most engine gaskets were done about 4000 miles ago. The guy just really wants a 240.

I'm not sure I want to turbo the 240 again. I think I'll be much happier putting the money into the MR2. Plus I think the VR6 will have a much better trade in value if I decide for something else.

He currently has it for sale @ $3,500.

How reliable are they? Anyone here ever owned a VR6? I need some opinions. I want something functional. Winter is coming up. I like the idea of having a hatch.

Murgatroy
10-11-2008, 05:05 AM
I would swap him straight up.

I haven't worked on a VW newer than `72, but I liked them.

They have probably the largest cult following of any car to be honest. A million gear heads couldn't be that wrong.

Shadowlife25
10-11-2008, 05:21 AM
It's a GREAT car. DO it now and don't think twice. VR6 is an outstanding engine and the GTI is a solid car with a HUGE support network, should you ever need it.

-Mario

burnyd
10-11-2008, 05:39 AM
I thought you were never getting rid of your s13? Honestly its prolly not worth 3500 but worth trading him. No offense..

and PA classic plates are awesome!! 1 time reg fee , but waiting for the tags might take up to 8 weeks :(

MrWOT
10-11-2008, 05:42 AM
R32 is in my "likes" column.

celicaGT90_05
10-11-2008, 06:26 AM
oh yeah I'd do that, they are pretty awesome cars. Unless theres somethng special about your 240 you're getting the better deal

KoreanJoey
10-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Nope, would never own a VW... like some of them, but not enough to own one. Same deal as an Alfa Romeo or Fiat...

extremeskillz
10-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Lobe the VW's. any of the newer TDI, VR6, and 1.8T's are great cars. MY particular favorite trim is the GLI on the Jetta with is the GTI in a Jetta suit!

goretro77
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Trade it, sounds like a good deal.

PhillyDRFT
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Hmm good to know.

Well, I won't be modding the VR6 at all. I just want something that is functional, not too fugly and reliable. I want to turn the key and go every time.

Like I said I'm a BIG fan of the Corrado but thats not something I want to fork out the money for and daily drive.

I've had my fun with the 240, but it's just become a headache and it's more of a swap candidate now than anything. Plus ... I really would rather have a 3sgte in the MR2 rather than turboing the 240 again. I know I'll want an s13 again one day but rite now I need some function.

Plus it may just be an up trade so later on (after winter) I can use it as trade in value , or sell for a down payment on the BMW 328IS I've had my eyes on.

PhillyDRFT
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I thought you were never getting rid of your s13? Honestly its prolly not worth 3500 but worth trading him. No offense..

and PA classic plates are awesome!! 1 time reg fee , but waiting for the tags might take up to 8 weeks :(

Book value, no the s13 isn't worth $3,500. Although anything clean fetches that much. I don't have any major rust issues with mine, just the pesky sensor problem I can't narrow down. Plus it has a lot tastefully done to it. New pearl white paint, 180 type x wheels. No offense taken.

And yes getting PA classic tags/insurance/inspection is a pain in my ass! A constant catch 22, since I'm restoring it too. Makes everything a catch 22. Once I'm done I'll have to do the process all over again to be re evaluated. But emissions exempt status will be VERY nice :)

andy
10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
the vr6 is a turbo beast!

celica9303
10-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Do it...

PhillyDRFT
10-12-2008, 05:26 AM
were gonna meet up sometime this week and check out eachothers cars. He only lives 10 minutes from me I found out lol.

vip09
10-13-2008, 06:53 AM
A very good friend of mine has an '01 VR6 GTI. His engine blew for no good reason and for some reason he is on his 3rd transmission because reverse keeps going out. Oh yeah, the MAFS goes bad constantly.. good thing he's a tech at the VW dealer so he gets them for free. Also, the engine mount and transmission mounts have gone bad/stripped out several times.

Other than that it's been a good car.

BabyBear
10-13-2008, 07:05 AM
I personally don't care much for VW's, specially after 95, from my understanding they are mexican made pieces of shit. I've got a friend thats got an 03 GTI and has had absolutely nothing but problems, and IMO, a car shouldn't have hardly any problems till at least 80K miles, and his only has 50K on it. His car has given him more grief then all the cars I've owned combined(All of which have been toyota's with over 100K on them :D). Just my two cents though, I wouldn't do it simply cause I don't like VW, and would never own one based on my experience with them.

Shadowlife25
10-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Not all of them are made in Mexico, though I do agree that the quality of those is horrible. The German made ones are very nice though.

One of my friends has an '07 GTI and that car is fantastic.

zmile06
10-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I would do it but inspect his car decent... He might be wanting to trade it to get rid of a problem ;)

If it works great after a 20 mile test drive take it, the 240 is too much of a hassle that isn't worth it, is what i'm seeing.

I would rather have a 3sgte mr2 over a turbo 240 any day.

BabyBear
10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
The newest body stile of GTI's are made in Germany, all the older ones after 95 are made in Mexico, iirc

BabyBear
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Also, I'd look at the blue book value of the car, I did a guestimation of it, and where I'm at that thing in ok condition is worth 5,100 not 3,500

PhillyDRFT
10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Also, I'd look at the blue book value of the car, I did a guestimation of it, and where I'm at that thing in ok condition is worth 5,100 not 3,500

Not sure Kelly Blue Book holds up anymore, Just a guideline. I think theres a new system they go by thats more area specific.

3,500 is just what he's asking for, it's a FS/FT kinda thing.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into where it came from. I know some KA24DE nissan engines were made in mexico and they are sometimes concidered as the stronger blocks.

BabyBear
10-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Its not the fact that they are made in Mexico thats the problem, its the lack of quality control on VW's end that makes them such pieces of crap. That blue book I got was for my area, don't know what it'd be in yours. I don't have a high view on VW though so my opinion is somewhat biased :D

hobbie2k
10-13-2008, 07:20 PM
The VR6 GTIs are supposedly more reliable than the four cylinder ones. What engine did your friend's GTI have?

PhillyDRFT
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
The VR6 GTIs are supposedly more reliable than the four cylinder ones. What engine did your friend's GTI have?

He's not a friend, just off a local car forum.

I didn't know they have different engines, Just know it's a 97' GTI VR6 N/A so I'm assuming they all have the same 6 cylinder.

I'm reading owner reviews here and there. The overall opinion isn't fireworks. For some reason I had always thought VW was very proud of their engineering. Then again almost everyone assembles in Mexico now.

Maybe I'll sell the S13 outright and find a decent used 328is.

I just NEED something that isn't a boring shit box and will start up every time I put the key in. I'm not looking for something to modify this time. lol

If any of you tell me to buy something new, I'll e-thug the shit out of this thread. :bigthumbu

VikingJZ
10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
I love the Corrado's. I would get one.

PhillyDRFT
10-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I love the Corrado's. I would get one.

yeah but I wouldn't put out the money to wreck it daily driving. They are dwindling in number. Plus about the same price as the 328is in good shape.

vip09
10-14-2008, 01:36 AM
I know a guy here that has a turbo VR6 Corrado putting down 500+whp. He gave me a ride in it once on the highway.. it was crazy fast.

Cavanagh
10-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Where is Ciento?