PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem with my 90 gts?

burnyd
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
this is my first post. I usualy go to this site just to look around , its a great place for knowledge. I have a few problems with my celica that i can not find the problem with.
I havent drove the car for a good six months. Six months ago the car stalled out driving home and i figured it was electrical problems. I took no precautions and replaced the alternator plus battery. It started to snow so i put the celich away. Now that its nice outside i tryed to go and start it and it wouldnt start? Went and jumped it. Car was acting really funny. Now I had just replaced the alternator plus battery. When i first jumped it, it acted really funny started to shake really bad. Now as it was charging for about 10-15 minutes it started to run normally. I disconnected the jumper cables from my suv and began to drive the celica. It lacked alot of power. The really funny thing was i tryed to turn the headlights on.... Nothing! But when i put on my high Beems it works fine. I tryed to tighten the alternator belt and that was really no luck at all? Every time I opened up the sun roof the car would boggle down. I went out to start it again a few hours later and nothing. My guage lights on my came on. I looked at the battery gauge and it was measuring lower than normal. I guess not enough to crank the car? If anyone could be of any help it would be great...... thanks

Punisher
03-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Sounds like some corroded lines... You may want to check your headlight fuses too..

burnyd
03-09-2005, 05:12 PM
corroded lines??

Punisher
03-09-2005, 05:52 PM
yes.. as in power or even ground lines that are corroded.. Something is causing a short most likely.. which is what is draining your battery causing your alternator to work double time when the car is on which is making things run shitty. Just a theory.. you are really on your own with this because electrical problems are the hardest thing to diagnose. Specially with-out being there to actually work on it.

ALLEN
03-11-2005, 05:44 AM
Check for rust on your battery terminals, get it off even if it doesn't seem like a large amount. I thought I had alternator problems awhile ago turned out to be just a build up of rust.

Good Luck!

Apostle
03-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Check for rust on your battery terminals, get it off even if it doesn't seem like a large amount. I thought I had alternator problems awhile ago turned out to be just a build up of rust.

Good Luck!

i had a similar problem thinking my distributor or alternator was bad, but it ended up being the battery terminals were rusted and not tightened enough.

purplecelica
01-27-2006, 06:53 AM
this is my first post. I usualy go to this site just to look around , its a great place for knowledge. I have a few problems with my celica that i can not find the problem with.
I havent drove the car for a good six months. Six months ago the car stalled out driving home and i figured it was electrical problems. I took no precautions and replaced the alternator plus battery. It started to snow so i put the celich away. Now that its nice outside i tryed to go and start it and it wouldnt start? Went and jumped it. Car was acting really funny. Now I had just replaced the alternator plus battery. When i first jumped it, it acted really funny started to shake really bad. Now as it was charging for about 10-15 minutes it started to run normally. I disconnected the jumper cables from my suv and began to drive the celica. It lacked alot of power. The really funny thing was i tryed to turn the headlights on.... Nothing! But when i put on my high Beems it works fine. I tryed to tighten the alternator belt and that was really no luck at all? Every time I opened up the sun roof the car would boggle down. I went out to start it again a few hours later and nothing. My guage lights on my came on. I looked at the battery gauge and it was measuring lower than normal. I guess not enough to crank the car? If anyone could be of any help it would be great...... thanks

I today am experiencing this same problem... Last year my car was draining the battery and i had no idea.. everytimg i made a stop i had to unpluged the negative led on my battery.. 1 thingi noticedtho was that my window had a delay when i sent it up or down... afew months later the motor startedto smoke and when i did fixed that i got rid of the problem ...

But now i am forced to take the negative off again.. My car isnt performing and alsothe knock sensor gone bad so you know my car working shitty.. How ever i see a warning light for my back lights is on in my dash board..
There is no rusting on my battery lLeds or corrsion.. I have many ground wires... I have no idea wy this is happening.. i have a new altenator and battery..

I got this off a website..This may be of use to you but before i say do this test..
make sure the car is off.. take off the negetave led.. try putting it back on and if u see a ig sparkthat means something is draining the battery...
Anyways read what i am pasting here.....

Expert: Roland Finston
Date: 5/18/2005
Subject: car draining battery

Question
same 92 chrysler lebaron with the transmission problem. if we don't undo the battery cables, it iwll drain the battery dead in 2 days. any suggestions? i'm really getting tired of this car. its a never ending problem. thank you so much for you help

Answer
Hi Rose,
Sorry to learn you have another problem, but here is how to deal with that one.
On the battery draining, there is something that is draining the current even though you don't know anything as being turned on. The best way to find what is causing the drainin is to obtain a volt-ohm meter at an electronics store or an auto parts store, or borrow one from a friend. You should be able to get one for under $20. Then you disconnect the clamp from the "-" or "neg" post of the battery, then remove the "+" or "pos" clamp. Then put the two test leads of the meter on the two clamps (one lead on each clamp) with the meter set to read ohms. It should read something less than infinite, but you would like it to read more that 100 ohms and ideally much more ohms than that, which would mean there was no source draining away the charge. If instead you find that it reads only 5 or 10 ohms that means there is a component that is draining the battery.
The procedure to find out the drain source is to disconnect each of the fuses that are assigned to a specific circuit in the car, one at a time, and see if the meter reading moves toward infinity as the result. If there is no change in the reading of the meter, then replace the fuse and move to the next one in the fuse box and see if it causes an increased reading, etc. When you find one (or more) such fuses that when removed caused the reading of the meter to go up significantly, then look for the label on the fuse box for that fuse, put the fuse back so that the reading decreases again and begin to unplug each of the electrical items that are powered by that fuse and keep checking until you find the item that causes the reading to go up again. That is the faulty component that is causing your problem.
You will want to do these tests with all the doors closed so that no lights are "on" and the car is sitting just as it is when you have it shut down. Be careful not to change anything about the car doors/lights (always close the doors before reading the meter) while you are doing this testing or none of it will make any sense.
You will find the fuse box under the dash in the passenger compartment on the driver's side of the car close to the side panel. The label(s) on the fuses in the box under the dash are the relevant search clues. This is something you can do yourself and save labor costs by so doing. If you find a fuse that when removed causes the reading to rise significantly, tell what the number of that fuse is and I will tell you what to do then to solve that problem specifically (how to unplug the suspected faulty item).
Whenever you go to reconnect the battery, always put the + post clamp back on first, then put on the - post clamp. The reverse is true when you disconnect the battery (as I described to you at the start). It is done that way for safety so you don't accidentally short the battery and get a burn.
Roland
Roland

I hope to have my problem sorted out soon and i hope you get your problem fixed too..
:)