PDA

View Full Version : Just went and ordered...

Ryan
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
My nokya h4 bulbs(blue) and my wheel spacers(7/16") for my stock wheels...

I sold my 17" wheels to one of my friends and Im going to put my stockies back on. I Polished up the lip and painted the rest of the wheel gunmetal. They look really good.

I had to get 2 new tires for them so I had Aaron call a few places for me and i got 2 Falken Ziex tires with over 50% tread left mounted and balanced for $30.

I got the spacers(2 sets) and the bulbs for $35... I think I got some good deals today.. :wiggle:

Galcobar
10-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Except on the bulbs -- unless you're only planning on using them for show, and not for driving.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 02:48 AM
They are street legal. "tuner4life" and "vikingjz" both have them and they are bright as hell and look awesome.

Galcobar
10-10-2008, 03:08 AM
Street legal doesn't mean good -- consider DOT versus ECE legality. ECE is actually illegal in the U.S. yet it's far superior.

And blue light is unavoidably less effective for nighttime illumination for the human eye, or when dealing with water in the air. Moreover, putting a tint on a bulb reduces the amount of light which gets through -- it's a filter.

They're fine for looks, not for performance.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Ok, have you ever actually USED THEM YOURSELF??? I have ridden in a couple of different cars with them actually installed on the car, and they are far brighter and clearer than regular bulbs. And for the price I got them for, i would say a good deal.

Slider
10-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but a regular halogen bulb puts out more lumens than that bulb for much less money. It just appears brighter because it puts out whiter light because of the blue coating, it kind of tricks your mind. The bulb is tinted blue, what does tint do? Reduce light output. Those bulbs are basically the same as PIAA or Sylvania Silverstars (NOT to be confused with Osram Silverstars). Keep in mind a bulbs light output lowers as they age, so if you're replacing your old bulbs, the new blue bulbs might actually be brighter then the aged bulbs but comparing two brand new bulbs the cheap halogen bulb is brighter.

Here's the lumen outputs from some popular H1 bulbs

H1 (regular normal):
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Plus-30 High Efficiency (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower,
Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficiency (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva
Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):
1750 lumens, 350 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips
BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania
Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, which is just a rebrand of the
Silverstar product, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):
1380 lumens, 250 hours

The results are similar with H4 bulbs just different lumens. The blue bulbs will still put out less light than the regular halogen bulbs. I'm running Sylvania Silverstars until they blow. I was shocked when I saw that the lumens were lower than regular halogen bulbs that are half price, the spec sheet inside the Sylvania bulb stated it. My friend gave me a pair in return for doing some work on his car so I didn't mind them as I didn't spend $40+tax on them. I must admit they do look good though but I'm not getting another pair.

Galcobar
10-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I have tried them -- purchased a set of Sylvania BlueVision, which are tinted standard efficiency bulbs. Took them back about five minutes after installing them to exchange for XLVision, which are the 30% (high efficiency) clear bulbs.

Nightvision in humans is receptive to lower wavelengths, think yellow and red. Blue light when your eyes have switched over to nightvision mode (there's actually two sets of receptors in the eye, one for bright conditions and one for low-light conditions) seems very bright, but it's actually glare rather than clear illumination. If your eyes actually do accustom themselves to the bluer light, you lose the ability to see in the darkness around the light cone.

tuner4life
10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Even if they aren't as bright, I still like driving with em. I do alot of driving in the country at night, and they do just fine. If you need more light, hit the brights.

As for the rims, what are you going to do in the spring? are you getting new ones?
I was looking at a set of 16" rota slipstreams in silver, or maybe gunmetal GT3s (Discount tire has reasonably priced knock offs).

Ryan
10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I am happy with my purchase, and I am sorry if I disappointed anybody with the bulbs... Personally I like them..

As for the rims, I am either going to get GT-s wheels or something similar.

ciento44
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Ryan, Galcobar is right in this case.

HOWEVER, you didn't mention what watts your bulbs are. I know Nokya offers 100w bulbs, and regardless of color, they are FAR brighter than the stock style 55w untinted bulbs.

I had dark yellow tinted 100w Nokyas in my coupe, and BurnyD will vouch for how well they lit up the road. For that matter, i think anyone who was at the 2007 Dragon may remember them as well. They were much better than the Osram Silverstars they replaced.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I cant remember the wattage. I will have to let you know when I go get them.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I just got the bulbs. They are 90W bulbs.

extremeskillz
10-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I love my HID. As the motto goes "once you go HID, you don't go back"...This I can say is true! :)

ciento44
10-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I just got the bulbs. They are 90W bulbs.

Enjoy melting your connectors lol....

You might be ok... worst case scenario, you melt one and you splice a new one in.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 07:33 PM
exactly...lol. I think it will be alright. Ive had those h.i.d.s on for a few weeks and they are fine...

extremeskillz
10-10-2008, 08:10 PM
^I did mean real HID lol. Also to save your harness from melting with those 90w bulbs is to buy a halogen wire harness. IT's the same idea as HID wire harness but for Halogen bulbs.

Ryan
10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
How much are those?

(I have a real h.i.d. kit....its just not what I want...too yellow)

extremeskillz
10-10-2008, 08:52 PM
You should of went with at least 5000K (white) or 6000K (white with hint of blue) or 8000K (white/blue). I would not go higher lol as those are a joke! and the harnesses i don't know the price as they vary.

Slider
10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
You could make your own harness you just need some wire and 2 relays. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

If you want to buy a relay kit minus the wire it's around $50 http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

If you want the whole kit plug and play it's $80 http://www.rallylights.com/hella/wiring_harnesses.asp

If you're gonna go without a harness make sure your connectors aren't corroded and put some dielectric grease on them before you put them in.

Ryan
10-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks slider!

VikingJZ
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
I enjoy my lights.

Then again, I have projector lamps instead of normal reflector types.

I'm hoping to buy a set of HID's rated at either 6 or 8,000K. Ya I know that some of the lower numbers are brighter, but I also want the look.

As long as my headlights light up the road to the point where I am satisfied, I will keep them.

Its a 1992 model year car that has body damage, so at this point I am not worried. If I buy a 98-00 SC300 within the next few years I will get an expensive set of HID's because the car is worth something.

Then again, when i graduate I am buying a black on black SC430.