PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed a roll cage in a 5th gen?

ccsouls
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I have been looking at the Cusco roll cages on RHDJapan.com.

I was considering purchasing one, but they all say they are only for the ST185.

Has anyone ever installed one of these and if so can you offer any discussion?

Does anyone think that if a 4 point cage will fit in an ST185, that it may also work in the ST184? My thinking is the basic design should work in both, unless the sharper slope of the rear window in the coupe might somehow conflict with the rear two bars.

What does everyone think?

Thanks.

celicaGT90_05
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Im pretty sure it would considering the interiors are pretty much identical

sloceli
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
The only way those cages will work is if you don't have a sun roof and its a hatch. The AllTrac hatch area floor pan is higher than all the other models. I have the 6 point cage at home and it will not fit with out modification to the loop due to the sunroof.

ciento44
10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Im pretty sure it would considering the interiors are pretty much identical

Coupe vs. hatch huge difference in overall interior shape. Especially in the back.

You know... the whole hatch vs trunk thing... and that large metal bar across the rear shelf.

ccsouls
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes, I was afraid of the sunroof being an issue.

However, most roll cages mount to the rear strut towers, not the rear floor; don't they?

The issue of the hatch having a different floor would not apply here if that is the case, am I wrong?

I just though modification to the Cusco would be cheeper than than a 100% custom job. I do know of a race cage manufacturer close I can check with.

celicaGT90_05
10-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry overlooked that your car was a coupe, that will make a difference. It's possible the cage will mount to the towers, but that will not be the only point of which it will mount. Remember the idea is to hold the roof out, it will need to hold the floor up if the car were to roll.

ccsouls
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Sloceli, please be more specific as to what issues you ran into with the sunroof and what you think needs to be done to correct them.

I think that would help us all know whether we want to attempt this thing or not.

Thanks.

sloceli
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
The main loop will not stand up, it doesn't fit. In order to make it fit it needs to be cut (about an inch) and re-welded. All of the bolt in cages I have seen for the ST18x DO NOT mount to the strut towers, they mount to the floor behind the towers. The only way to get the cage to fit is to weld the mounting plates to the car. The rear floor plan is different and the bolts/mounting system is not plug and play for anything other than the AllTrac. Here's a pic of the cage I have, as you can see the rear mounts to the floor not the strut tower.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/0/vbgarage.jpg

ccsouls
10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Wow! Sure doesn't. Thanks for sharing that.

I sure thought the 4 points mounted to the rear strut towers, but if they are anything like your picture you are correct, they won't work.

I appreicate the input.