PDA

View Full Version : Today's Work

Dlux4life
12-05-2004, 02:58 AM
My friend came over an plastiguaged the hell out of my bottom end...and everything is in working shape now..was just a bearing that was out of spec. So far i have been using the toyota manual for an mr2 and for some odd reason it didnt have the clearences for the connecting rod bearings...had the torque specs for the caps, but not the clearences for the bearings...odd..anyways my main caps were:

#1.) .025
#2.) .034
#3.) .037
#4.) .033
3%.) .028

Connecting rod:

#1.) .028
#2.) .030
#3.) .040
#4.) .038

So all in all it was a pretty good day, everything is in spec now and the crank is turning like a beaut. Went out and got an engine stand..and now the thing is sittin pretty on a nice new stand...what sucks is that my mech didnt put the cams on the head and two shims fell out..and i know that they are different for every vehicle..can some one explain how to tell which shim should go where on the head...i have both, just dont want to mix them up...and installing the cams in general..that would be great..thanks!..any tips would help as well.

JGS3SGE
12-05-2004, 03:23 AM
You'll just have to try them and see if you guess right :) find the clearance specs in the book to check them.

roman
12-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Those clearances seem a bit high, but I'm no expert the bottom end of the Celica in specific so I'll see what others have to say on the subject.

JGS3SGE
12-05-2004, 05:15 AM
Sure your not forgeting a 0 in those clearance numbers? They do seem WAAAAY high... IIRC you need 0.003-0.0015 oil clearance

roman
12-05-2004, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention that as well, but I think we all understood what he meant. At least I hope he forgot those 0's :squint:

Dlux4life
12-06-2004, 01:35 AM
opps...yea i did forget the zeros...my fault...i was told the that clearence specs for the shims isnt specific to the type of engine..ie: 3sgte or 5sfe....but rather that individual engine, therefore there is no specific clearence...is it really going to do alot of damage if two shims get mixed up on the same cylender?

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 02:44 AM
opps...yea i did forget the zeros...my fault...i was told the that clearence specs for the shims isnt specific to the type of engine..ie: 3sgte or 5sfe....but rather that individual engine, therefore there is no specific clearence...is it really going to do alot of damage if two shims get mixed up on the same cylender?

The whole valvetrain has a clearance specification, but each valve may require different shims to be within spec. The only way to figure out which shim goes where is to install them and measure the clearance.

Dlux4life
12-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Cool, that makes sense to me, so i need to install the shims, instaall the cams, tourque everything down to spec, then measure the cleance between the valve?...where would i measure?...and is there a standard clearence for each valve that can be found?..ie the online toyota manuals?

TRDmkII
12-06-2004, 03:47 AM
i don't know the exact valve clearance for that motor, but usually the intake is like .006-.010 and exhaust is .010-.016, but i'm not sure

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Cool, that makes sense to me, so i need to install the shims, instaall the cams, tourque everything down to spec, then measure the cleance between the valve?...where would i measure?...and is there a standard clearence for each valve that can be found?..ie the online toyota manuals?

Yup, you need to put it all back together and then measure the clearance. You need to pick up a set of feeler gauges (thin strips of metal with known thickness) to measure the clearance. I think you measure clearance with the cam lobe pointing opposite of the shim (don't quote me on this, but John L or Schmleff should know). Clearances will be in a service manual.

Dlux4life
12-06-2004, 05:34 AM
Cool...sounds like it wont be too tough..just kinda sucks..becuase only two fell out...so i need to go through all of this just for this little tiny piece of metal that fell out..urghh..well that is the job for next friday...i will update you on when i find everthing out...i have never installed cams before?..how long does it usually take?...rough estimate :blahblah: