PDA

View Full Version : resonator, need help asap!

BEAMS
10-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I finished installing my header with all 2.25" mandrel bent pipe , magna flow cat and muffler. It sounds too much like honda rice when at wot now. It is raspy and buzzes. :thumbsdow But at cruising it sounds good, almost the same as before i had the header on.

What size length/width resonator will give me back some of the deep sound i used to have at wot?
I know how a resonator works, but which one will be best for my setup.
thanks for any help, i would like to get this fixed asap.
Will this one work?
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB1140.htm
They have another one that is 2.25"x 12" also.

Ryan
10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
It may work..Honestly with our engines, a lotta the time if you mess with the stock exhaust setup, it will reduce backpressure, and with any leak or a fartcan it will give you that rattly sound. Try the resonator first though.

CriScO
10-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Is it the muffler in your sig? That style is pretty much made for the rice sound. I did the old style wide oval Magnaflow, sounds nice and deep. I do have a short (12") resonator right now, but generally they just quiet it down more than anything. You'd be fine with the 12" or 14".

One of my employee's, a muscle car guy, calls my coupe "the deepest sounding Celica ever." :hehe:

Galcobar
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
The item you've linked isn't a resonator, it's a straight-through muffler.

A resonator is an echo chamber, it bounces sound waves off of each other to cancel out the noise. The item you've linked uses sound absorption. The trouble is, people look at a round canister meant to be used under the body and can't tell the difference between two entirely different forms of sound suppression.

Here's the test: tap it. A resonator will ping like a bell, whereas an absorption muffler will, naturally, absorb the sound and produce a dull response.

A longer straight-through muffler will increase the amount of sound absorbed without particularly affecting flow (well, if it's not designed like a Cherry Bomb with louvered perforations). If that's what you want to install, might as well go for the longest you can fit under your car.

However, if you want to install a resonator, just visit your local exhaust shop. This is how you get rid of the annoying buzz.

A muffler will greatly decrease the volume and somewhat smooth the tone. A resonator will somewhat decrease the volume and greatly smooth the tone.

JEDI
10-11-2008, 07:53 PM
On my car, And everyone loves how it sounds, I used a turbo muffler right behind the cat that makes it sound really deep. They can be bought pretty cheap at azone.

Blackcloud
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
get a whoo whoo tip

KoreanJoey
10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
get the biggest resonator you can fit. I think mine was 18"