PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Windshield Fog.

Ghosty
10-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I normally don't post in all caps but this is something really getting on my nerves.

In the mornings, now that the weather is getting chillier, my Celica has the worst tendency to fog.

It may or may not have to do with the climate controls. The LED on the recirculate/ vent switch has long since quit working. On top of that, the switch itself is not in that good a condition... it's a rocker switch, but I can't ever tell if one side or the other is engaged just by looking at it. I have to play with it and run my own tests every time.

The test consists of: turn fan off. If air is still flowing through, it's on vent. If not, it's on recirculate.

Either way, no matter which setting it's on, it will always fog miserably. I can even roll down the windows all the way, crack the sunroof, and it will still fog. I could be driving at 45 MPH, 50 degrees outside, fan blowing, windows cracked, sunroof back, and it's still got an absurd amount of condensation on the inside that I can't get rid of.

I could turn on the AC and freeze my ass off, and that seems to do the trick. But I would really rather not blast the AC when it's already 65 degrees outside.

So I'm on my last nerve and worried about getting in a head on collision because of this stupid thing. What do you guys do to abate fog?

celica91gts
10-09-2008, 01:02 AM
you don't have a defogger switch? it turns the vents near to bottom of the front windshield on to get rid of the fog.

Ghosty
10-09-2008, 01:12 AM
you don't have a defogger switch? it turns the vents near to bottom of the front windshield on to get rid of the fog.

It doesn't seem to do the trick unless the AC is on.

I'm just saying it seems like a lot of work to make the fog go away.

What I don't understand is how I can get the fan cranked up as high as it can go, and it will be blasting the pure air from outside of the car, but it doesn't seem to make a dent in it.

But it should, because it's the same temperature as outside the car.

Does anyone have to turn the AC on to kill fog around here? When it's chilly?

celica91gts
10-09-2008, 01:20 AM
i do, but only because it happens to me when it rains. have you heard of rain x? you can buy it from your local autozone or checkers. people usually put it on the outside of their windshield to reduce the amount of rain drops that stick to their windshield. maybe you can try applying some to the inside of the windshield.

Ghosty
10-09-2008, 01:24 AM
i do, but only because it happens to me when it rains. have you heard of rain x? you can buy it from your local autozone or checkers. people usually put it on the outside of their windshield to reduce the amount of rain drops that stick to their windshield. maybe you can try applying some to the inside of the windshield.

You just made me remember that there's an absurd amount of moisture around here. I'm not far from the Missouri river, which fogs the hell out of the place in the mornings. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

T-spoon
10-09-2008, 01:57 AM
For all I've heard people talk about equalizing temperature on both sides of the glass, use outside air, blah blah blah blah blah and so on... I have 100% success rate blasting defrost on the hottest setting recirculated, not the factory recommended outside air once the car warms up. Regardless of outside temperature, this ALWAYS defogs my windshield in every car I've ever driven. The only bad part about that is if it's hot outside (aka, thunderstorm in the summer in Houston) but otherwise it's no issue to have the heat defog the windows. This works because the hot air will evaporate any condensation.

That said, yeah, there are things you can put on the glass that should help reduce the tendency to fog, but the defroster on recirc heat should always be able to clear it off.

celica9303
10-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Yes turn the AC on but keep the temp up high. Our defrost isn't set up like most cars by turning on the AC it self we have to do it manually. So by turning on the heat and pressing the AC button will cycle the compressor and remove the fog. Works every time

T-spoon
10-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Yes turn the AC on but keep the temp up high. Our defrost isn't set up like most cars by turning on the AC it self we have to do it manually. So by turning on the heat and pressing the AC button will cycle the compressor and remove the fog. Works every time

Doesn't even have to be AC (i haven't had AC in several cars) but it does help for sure because it has the ability to remove moisture from the air it's using, where the heater by itself doesn't.

kungFUBAR
10-09-2008, 03:29 AM
http://www.autobarn.com.au/AB_images/products/images/prod_1202171124.jpg

:bigthumbu It works wonders.

Ryan
10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
+1 for rain x

KoreanJoey
10-09-2008, 03:47 AM

+1

AC = air conditioning... not cooler...

Ghosty
10-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Well ya learn something every day around here!

Thanks guys!

I think its too hot still to try the heating recirc method, but I can see the logic of AC...

Compressors always, always drop the humidity. That's why they drip water... it's all condensation. Durp.

I just never stopped to think that you can set it where it doesn't freeze you out of the car

celicaGT90_05
10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
hey dont overlook the possibility that your heater core may be leaking, you dont get any weird smells right? If it is it can cause a lot of fog build up on your windshield. AC systems are designed to remove moisture, so that as recommended can help. My windshields can fog up pretty bad, but I never seem to have issues clearing it. Just something to double check on

usp45
10-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Yes ac will dehumidify.

OT: I once had an ac line blow when I was using it to defog, It filled the whole car with r12. R12 makes windows fog like crazy. I had to use a roll of paper towels to clean that shit off. Inhaling the gas damn near gave me a heart attack I thought my heart was gonna popate out of my freakin chest. And I pissed off the ozone... bad day.

CriScO
10-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Just a little tip once you've got the defogger worked out, make sure to clean the inside of the window regularly. I swear it fogs/frosts twice as bad when I let mine go a little.

Murgatroy
10-09-2008, 07:10 AM
hey dont overlook the possibility that your heater core may be leaking, you dont get any weird smells right? If it is it can cause a lot of fog build up on your windshield. AC systems are designed to remove moisture, so that as recommended can help. My windshields can fog up pretty bad, but I never seem to have issues clearing it. Just something to double check on
Very first thing I thought of.

tuner4life
10-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Exactly, A/C removes moisture from the air.. You dont have to have the temp set to cold to have the A/C do it's job. Put the temp dial wherever it feels comfortable and still run the A/C. It will cure your fogging problem while still keeping you comfy.

wizzards581
10-09-2008, 04:12 PM
65c or f?

Ghosty
10-10-2008, 01:07 AM
65f

And I don't think anything is leaking on it... I think I would be coughing up a lung if it were.

But I tried the AC thing today and it worked really well. I don't have any reason to experiment but I wonder if it would be a good idea to just keep it on recirculate, considering when it is on vent that it will bring in moisture, whereas recirculate will continue to clean air until it is rid of humidity.

T-spoon
10-10-2008, 01:51 AM
65f

And I don't think anything is leaking on it... I think I would be coughing up a lung if it were.

But I tried the AC thing today and it worked really well. I don't have any reason to experiment but I wonder if it would be a good idea to just keep it on recirculate, considering when it is on vent that it will bring in moisture, whereas recirculate will continue to clean air until it is rid of humidity.

I have ALWAYS had the experience that recirculating works better, however, there are units that force it to outside air if you select defroster, whether you want it or not.

iwamaryu
10-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Instead of RainX, you can use Windex shower cleaner. The shower version of Windex has anti fog properties. I doubt RainX's ingredients isn't that much different to Windex shower cleaner, except it's probably more of a consented solution.

Windex shower does the same job as RainX but also cleans. RainX is a niche marketed item, which means it's probably priceed as much as liquid gold(i wouldn't know personally)

T-spoon
10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Instead of RainX, you can use Windex shower cleaner. The shower version of Windex has anti fog properties. I doubt RainX's ingredients isn't that much different to Windex shower cleaner, except it's probably more of a consented solution.

Windex shower does the same job as RainX but also cleans. RainX is a niche marketed item, which means it's probably priceed as much as liquid gold(i wouldn't know personally)

Careful with windex on cars. Probably not a big deal on the windshield itself but I recall something about windex eating window tint.

iwamaryu
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Careful with windex on cars. Probably not a big deal on the windshield itself but I recall something about windex eating window tint.

I don't know about tinted windows. But were talking about fogging windows, I'm presuming the problem would be the visibility through the front windscreen. were I'm from tinting the front window is illegal. I use windex on my windscreen, no problems

METDeath
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Ammonia fades window tint, that's what you have to look for, and most glass cleaners have ammonia in them.

T-spoon
10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know about tinted windows. But were talking about fogging windows, I'm presuming the problem would be the visibility through the front windscreen. were I'm from tinting the front window is illegal. I use windex on my windscreen, no problems

Gee, I guess that's why I said it's not an issue on the windshield but be careful using it anywhere else.