PDA

View Full Version : What size vacuum hose?

toyotaguy90
10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
My vacuum hose is pretty loose and dried out. I wanted to order some red silicone hose to replace it just to tighten everything up and dress up the engine bay a little. I cant seem to figure out wether i need 3.5mm or 4mm does anyone know what size i should order?

alltracman78
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, first off it depends which line it's for.
Secondly, I'd go twards the snug side if there's any confusion.
Third, most of the silicone hose available online [and in places like autocrap] is junk.
Fourth, petroleum [oil/fuel, ect] breaks down silicone faster than regular rubber, so be careful where you put it.

grayscale
10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
True, I had a few pieces of silicone laying around a few years ago and tried using them to replace some vac hoses. They don't last very long before they become very hard and no longer flexible at all. They didn't become brittle, but the no longer held a tight fit on the ports they were on, thus causing some leaks. I know they do make silicone vac hoses, but they must be made a little differently. I guess you could try the Spectre ones at Summit Racing.

toyotaguy90
10-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Hmm for some reason i was under the impression that silicone lines were superior but it sounds like i might be mistaken maybe i should just get regular vacuum lines...