PDA

View Full Version : How To Properly Store Your Car for The Winter...

Ads28
10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Soo its gettin close to winter time and my celi will be coming off the road this time :) ...
this is the first time im storeing a car for the winter and was wondering what everyone else does ?
mine will be stored behind my house on a concrete slab...
So far I got...
-Doing and oil change before storage, and after
-Fuel stabilizer in the gas tank
-Removing the battery(itll be runnin my winter beater anyway)
-Keep car in gear, dont use E-brake (might sieze up)
-switch heater to Recirculate, sock over the tail pipe (keep the critters out)
-Check antifrezze make sure its good ( dont want a cracked block )
-Give the car a good detail and coat of wax, then cover with a car cover
-Put an air freshner inside, and some kind of absorbant, like cat litter ina tray or a bounce sheet to absorb some moisture

Now heres my question at first i was goin to remove my rims and store them inside and leave the car on stands...
but then i read that you dont want to leave ur suspension fully extended becuase its not natural and might cause some damage...
Sooo would i be good leaving the rims on?
oorrr should i jack up the car n set the stands/ blocks under the control arms so the suspension sits somewhat in a normal state and bring the rims inside

feel free to add/correct anything this is ma first winter storage soo im sure I missed something :bigthumbu

RedRkt01
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Soo its gettin close to winter time and my celi will be coming off the road this time :) ...
this is the first time im storeing a car for the winter and was wondering what everyone else does ?
mine will be stored behind my house on a concrete slab...
So far I got...
-Doing and oil change before storage, and after
-Fuel stabilizer in the gas tank
-Removing the battery(itll be runnin my winter beater anyway)
-Keep car in gear, dont use E-brake (might sieze up)
-switch heater to Recirculate, sock over the tail pipe (keep the critters out)
-Check antifrezze make sure its good ( dont want a cracked block )
-Give the car a good detail and coat of wax, then cover with a car cover
-Put an air freshner inside, and some kind of absorbant, like cat litter ina tray or a bounce sheet to absorb some moisture

Now heres my question at first i was goin to remove my rims and store them inside and leave the car on stands...
but then i read that you dont want to leave ur suspension fully extended becuase its not natural and might cause some damage...
Sooo would i be good leaving the rims on?
oorrr should i jack up the car n set the stands/ blocks under the control arms so the suspension sits somewhat in a normal state and bring the rims inside

feel free to add/correct anything this is ma first winter storage soo im sure I missed something :bigthumbu

In college I worked for Anheuser-Busch Flight Operations. When we couldn't bring an airplane inside we'd protect it as best we could. If it was going to snow and there was going to be salt dumped all over the ramp, we'd cover the wheels. If I didn't have a garage, that is exactly what I would do. I wouldn't bother to remove the wheels; I'd just cover them.

extremeskillz
10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
So far so good. Im already prepping mine for winter sleep. I have to do a really good detail before both cars covers go on. This way i can start planning its body work stage...

tuner4life
10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
as long as salt doesnt get to the vehicle/rims, they should be fine. A good car cover is good, make sure that you have a coolant with a low freezing rating. put some thinner oil in it, and make sure that you go out and start it and let it run for about 30 min just to keep the seals from getting hard.

90CelicaST
10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Are you guys hiding your cars from this 'snow' you guys get up there? :D

Cavanagh
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
It is good to cover them, but you also do not want flat spots in your tires.

extremeskillz
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
My car doesn't see weather period. ;)

Ads28
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
haha yeaaa loook at my sig :lolhittin dont think i wanna put ma baby threw that again... :smokin:
and it shouldnt see any salt, its behind my house away from the street..
and yea i defeintly dont want flat spots :thumbsdow , but all the ppl ive talked to store there car with the tires on n havent had any probs..
soo ill just pump up the psi to 40 and I should be good

Slider
10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't forget to make sure nothing gets in your intake too.

I'm going to be getting the Celica ready for winter driving soon.

Ads28
10-07-2008, 12:30 AM
no problem there, cone filter in my fender, cant see anything gettin in that

vip09
10-07-2008, 03:59 AM
I'm about to order some UHP Summer tires.. should be good to go for winter!

alltracman78
10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Fill your gas tank as full as possible [less room for air/moisture, less condensation].
Inflate tires to 40+ PSI [that's how Toyota stores long term].
If you get a dry day here and there, remove the car cover and let the car [and the underside of the cover] breath; NO cover vents as good as fresh air.
Try to cover the wheel openings, rotors rust from moisture sitting on them. A whole season can ruin them. Also, the inners tend to rust more because the heat shield holds in moisture; wouldn't hurt to remove the pads and put a light coat of oil on the rotors. If you do this, make SURE you put a sign on the steering wheel saying no brakes.

extremeskillz
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Well just add. If there are nice days out you should start the car and take it for a spin around the block just to keep things in order. It's like stretching out your legs after sitting for a little while. Feels good doesn't it?

Ads28
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
i would take it out for a spin, but nice days dont happen haha, and with the amount of Salt they use on the roads here..even on a nice day, id have to spend hours and hours washing it to get salt off sooo no go on the takeing it for a spin

Ghosty
10-09-2008, 01:00 AM
NO cover vents as good as fresh air.

I was just wondering the same thing.

Covers trap moisture == bad. But covers also block out salt == good.

At my current residence, my daily driven celica sits about 20 feet from a relatively high use county highway. I'm thinking that poor car is going to get blasted with salt when it sits at night, after I come home from work and when I'm sleeping.

Would you suggest me putting a cover over the car at night in preparation for snow and salt? I'd remove it in the morning and it would sit all day in a parking lot while I'm away.

goretro77
10-09-2008, 01:23 AM
if storing the car in a indoor garage and using a cover - make sure the cover allows the car to 'breathe' and dissipate moisture. The indoor ones can be very thin, which are just fine. The indoor one I've used for over 10 years is so thin, when your hand is pressed against the fabric you can just about see your hand through it. There are also times when I've had the cover off the car for a few weeks while working on a winter project.

Overinflate the tires to prevent flat spots.

I use a Battery Tender plus and Battery Tender junior for my Elise and lawn tractor
(www.batterytender.com). I would choose the plus over the jr if I had to choose one of 'em. They are battery conditioners - not trickle chargers which can damage a battery. I do not remove the batteries but have added a quick connector to each battery.

Detail the car - including the rims.

Oil and oil filter change. fill the gas tank.

Some owners throw a sheet of bounce into the interior - mice do not like this smell so it discourages them from making a home in your car.

Sometimes I leave the trunk and door propped open a bit to keep from pinching the weather stripping too long. Dunno if this is really worth it but sometimes I leave the car that way while storing.