PDA

View Full Version : 7afe

glenn
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
okay so i can get a 7afe for the same price as the 4afe and DR. tweak said its straight bolt in plug and play just to make sure cuz i really dont wanna go pick this motor up and it not be plug and play or at least a little bit plug and play so hit me up asap cuz they are waiting on me to tell them i want it or not

Also if anyone has a for sure running in good condtion 7AFE and wants to sale it let me know i would rather buy one that i know is running cuz we arnt sure on the one i'm looking at

Colossus20v
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
You can use the same mounts and the tranny. As far as wiring goes, I doubt there is much difference between the 7afe ecu and the 4afe but I dont know for sure. It should be fairly easy though with all of the information from a 7afe and the 4afe readily available in the US.

You would probably have to get a 7afe header though because the block is a little longer and I dont know if the 4afe header will clear the oil case.

glenn
09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
okay cool cool well does anyone else know much about these or can direct me i've searched google and really cant find much although there i guess is also a 5AFE?

CriScO
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, a 7A-FE is basically a bigger 4A. The 4 series is 1.6 liter, while the 7 is a 1.8. The 7A was used in the short-lived sixth gen Celica ST, and also the Corolla throughout the 90's. In the 'rolla it was an option for a while, then completely replaced the 4 for a couple of years before the 1ZZ came into play.

It isn't too common a swap, but I doubt it will be much trouble. I'd imagine it's much like the 3S/5S-FE's, where there's practically no difference other than size in the mid-late 90's models.

And if Tweak says the wiring's plug and play, I believe it. That guy's spliced more harnesses than most of us have even seen.

glenn
09-25-2008, 10:26 PM
sweet okay well i've heard pretty much what i needed to know and i'm saying i'm going for it i'll let you guys know what goes down and what i had to change

94CelicaGirl
09-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Definitely go with whatever Doc says, he won't steer you wrong. The 7A is basically a bigger 4A; it's not however to be assimilated with a 5S, as they are completely different engines, not just displacement-wise but the ECU is completely different. The S-series and the A-series engines are totally different.

I've got a 7A and while it's certainly FAR from being any kind of powerhouse, it's a rock-solid engine that has decent low-end torque and gets great gas mileage.

glenn
09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
well thats all i'm looking for at the moment i just need an engine that will drop in, in like two days max cuz this is my only vehicle and my motor is dead but some how still twitching its way down the road lol

glenn
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine_details/toyota_used-toyota-corolla-geo-prizm-93-97-7a-fe-1.8l-7a-fe-engine-only hows this look i think it pricey cuz turns out the motor they wanna sale me doesnt run but that does give me a chance to do like cam and different piston work lol

Colossus20v
09-26-2008, 06:11 PM
it is pricey. If they had it for around $500 then it would probably be fine, but yeah. I paid $750 to have my silvertop/wiringharness/ecu shipped to me from CA to PA.

glenn
09-26-2008, 08:15 PM
nice well i could alwas drive but i'm sure it would be cheaper to ship since gas isn't getting cheaper

glenn
09-30-2008, 04:11 AM
well i'm having no luck on finding one around here and i've checked all the sites i've went to dont have a motor hell even doesnt have the motor.... so if anyone has one i need it cuz my car finally broke down

Murgatroy
09-30-2008, 04:54 AM
As far as the A series engines go, the 5AFE (1.5L) the 4AFE (1.6L) and the 7AFE (1.8L) are pretty easy to obtain. The 5AFE is not to be confused with the 5SFE, but a lot of folks aren't aware that the 5AFE exists thus they assume that you mean a 5SFE.

Since you have a revised 4AFE in your ST, it is completely possible that you can drop the 7AFE in and it will be plug and play. If Tweak says it is, I will believe him. This would give you a minor bump in power and the opportunity to have a lower mileage engine to run with. However, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one. You can find them cheap if you look. I would prefer to wait a month and pay half than get it immediately.

85gtsblackman
09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
i was going to do this when i had my stx but it looked really simple to put the 4a block on the 7a head, make everything extreamly plug n play, but i had a 4a head that had some work done to it

94CelicaGirl
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Have you looked on car-parts.com for an engine?

Actually for that matter, I'm pretty sure I know where you can get a 7a-fe if you're willing to pay for shipping. I believe there's one or two for sale at a yard here in Oregon. PM me if you're interested, I can get more specific info if you'd like.

glenn
10-02-2008, 06:34 PM
no i havent but i'm checking there now lol i'm kinda noob when it comes to finding parts for cars online lol i'm not going to lie

Colossus20v
10-02-2008, 08:24 PM
you gotta learn somewhere. That's why we have this place. So people can learn and get their problems solved. I hope your able to find one soon.

glenn
10-17-2008, 11:13 AM
okay update on the car yes still down and out for the count um sourcing a motor still i've got this company in mind in wisconsin hopefully in a few days i can get all the cash needed to get it here i've got like two friends as well checking everywhere within 400 miles for motors but the one i found seems to be the best... also the most expensive lol guaranteed to run thank god nothing else we see has that but none i can find have any warranty lol

mar_phi6
10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
hey glenn do u ever go to phoneix or chandler>?

glenn
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
hey glenn do u ever go to phoneix or chandler>?

nope never have the need to plus its like almost 400 miles away