PDA

View Full Version : distributor went in wrong

lilsticcup
09-29-2008, 01:41 AM
hey can anyone tell me what could possibly go wrong when the distributor goes in wrong, also what i might consider getting fixed.

i have oil in my plugs, and thick black smoke coming from the exhaust, misfiring a little but im pretty sure thats from the oil drowning the plugs

Galcobar
09-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Oil in your plugs isn't the distributor. Oil in your plugs is either bad spark plug tube seals or oil in the cylinder from bad rings/seals.

celicaGT90_05
09-29-2008, 03:52 AM
If the distributor would be installed wrong, basically you just wont have spark at the proper cylinder, granted the wrong installation doesnt cause any kind of binding. Also, black smoke comes from unburned fuel, not oil, oil burns a grayish bluish color and it has a real distinct smell. Where at on the plugs is the oil? Is it on top where it connects to the wire or where the plugs insert into the combustion chamber?

Shadowlife25
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
It's not possible to install the distributor wrong. It's keyed so that it only goes in one way. If the distributor seals are bad, it can make the engine mis-fire though. If this is the case just get a rebuild kit from k-box (MTbuggies) here on the forum.

lilsticcup
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
im sorry i shouldve been a little more clear. when i got the car i never checked the plugs, but never had anything wrong with the spark, i was changing the intake manifold gasket and i took out the distributor to get it out of the way, i made a mark where the gear was supposed to go back in, i guess it moved somehow on the way back in, so i thought it was ok but it wouldnt start and gave me a couple backfires, so i checked my fuel, air and spark, so it had been a while before i noticed the oil in the plugs and the distributor was in wrong. so maybe the oil been there before but i never had any problems with my spark till this happened so i thought that had something to do with the oil.... btw the oil is in the bottom of the plugs, i was also told that it could be from the valve cover gasket

ciento44
09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
How did you manage to put your distributor in wrong? It's slotted, will only go in one way.

schnee
09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Ciento is right - it's not possible to put it in 180 deg out & If it was in wrong it would not fire at all.
Are you sure all your plug wires are in properly?
You need to adjust the distributor and check your cams. Get it running right and the black smoke should dissappear as that's just fuel not being burned.
I guess you have a GE motor? FE would not leak oil around the plugs as the're in tubes, you need to lift the cam covers to check your cam timing anyway.
Some pics please?

Galcobar
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM
However, it is possible to screw up the timing when installing the distributor, which could also cause misfiring (slightly asynchronous between the piston positions and the spark generation).

Get your timing checked and corrected.

andy
10-03-2008, 04:16 AM
on a 4age and 2se and r series engines you can muck the dizzy. its geared instead of keyed yo. not that yall didnt know that just a bit of info.

Murgatroy
10-03-2008, 04:26 AM
This is on a 7M, not a an S series engine.

He bought a MkIII Supra a few weeks back that had some engine issues.

andy
10-03-2008, 06:45 AM
oh i thought it was the celica he has, the supra i think you can mess it up. i think its geared and not keyed? dunno i dont remeber when my dad yanked his apart.