PDA

View Full Version : odd steering

celicaGT90_05
09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
at times, and just started real recently, when I turn to the right from the wheels being strait or having turned a small left turn, the wheel will fight with me for just a split second. Havent inspected yet, but any ideas of what to look for?

Ryan
09-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Check you ps fluid level... Has the rack ever been replaced, or does it leak?

celicaGT90_05
09-27-2008, 11:57 PM
not sure if the rack has been replaced, but whats throwing me off of it apart from the power steering is the fact it does it for right turns only. The rack Im pretty sure isnt leaking, but I'll double check

Ryan
09-28-2008, 12:08 AM
have you had your alignment checked? there could possibly be something bent..

celicaGT90_05
09-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I checked the fluid level a little earlier, its fine, not to mention its done it on the highway as well. I really dont think anythings out of alignment, it goes down the road perfectly strait when I let go of the wheel, and the tires dont have any abnormal wear patterns. I'll have to inspect parts, anyone run into this issue before?

KoreanJoey
09-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Get a needle, or something to make a small hole in the boot of your steering rack and see if any fluid comes out. If you're steering rack is contaminated it can cause resistance on one side in comparison to the other. Or your alignment is bad, camber or caster or whatever. If your toe is straight the car will generally track straight but if the camber is off from one side to the other it will try to pull the car one way or another once the wheels are off center.

tuner4life
09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
It's probably the rack showing the initial stages of failure, be careful because it could eventually start to seize up more, mine did.

I relpaced the rack (w/ tie rods), pump, and all the high pressure hoses at the same time, that way it was just all new and might last a while.

celicaGT90_05
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
thanks guys, Im gonna inspect and make sure its not something else. At least right now the resistance is very minimal. Fortunately I'm close to done with college, hopefully it will hold, I'd prefer not to do a project like this since I'm going to tear it back down when I get out of college

tokenblackid182
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
it maybe the rack dude.. mines is doin something similar... im having stiff steering even if my ps is good and i had my ps lines replaced.. and its not the pump either.. how much is replacing the rack???