PDA

View Full Version : anyone done a drum to disc brake converstion on a 5th gen?

Project5sgtze
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
happy with the results?

GT4SOM
03-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty happy with mine, when I had drums on my gt I had alot of nose dip. I felt a bit of diffrence with less nose dip, meaning that the rear would have more braking power. Drums are ghey, especially with custom wheels. Its worth it a million times. Go for it! Just take the hubs off a GTS/GT of the same gen and you will be fine. It cose me a total 150 to do all my brakes including the conversion. Theres a link on TOyotacelicaonline.com that shows you pretty much step by step. That one guide is taking the hubs off a 6th gen into a 5th gen. I think they used hybrid control arms. I would recommend just getting the same setup from the same gen that way you don't have to worry about the arms. Hardest part of it was the e brake cable and adjusting it. Mine is still a little loose. I think the cables might have been longer on the drums.

Project5sgtze
03-08-2005, 03:38 AM
yea, i saw that on toyotacelicaonline ;)

it's deffinately one of the first few things i'm gonna do to my car. Problem is, i'm hacking a electric start system on it (it's a manual, i'm putting a really on it so that it'll only work if the car is in neutral)... so that means i'd have to make sure the e-brake was up to snuff so I could leave it in neutral while parked on a incline.

any problems with the e-brake after conversion?

cosmic_sombrero
03-08-2005, 04:51 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227

its all right here. . . but with my GTS I wont need it :D

Project5sgtze
03-08-2005, 05:04 AM
mad props