PDA

View Full Version : calling all saab guys

usp45
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the world of longitudinaly mounted FF drivetrain layout. So I'm gonna look at a 88' saab 900 turbo 2dr for a snow car. So obviously if I start it up and it has a rod knocking at deaths door, it's a no go. But what should I look for with an old saab what should I be weary of. Right now it's just a meh, I'll look into it, I've decided not to spend more than 1000 on this car no matter what. but I'm hopin I can swing it for 500. If all else fails I'm ready to walk like osimo.

So, please point me in the right direction so if I make a purchase I can make an educated one.

stuff that must be good to buy.

Compression
Turbo
Trans
Oil needs to look good
no smoking
no tailpipe pissing
what else?

tuner4life
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Cool, Old 900s are really fun cars!!

I have only minimal experience with the 900s. The 9000s are what I drive, but in general, I have found saabs to be initally pretty hard to work on, and will leave you thinking WTF?!?!, but if you find a good saab forum (I use saablink.net) You find that there is usually a much easier way to do almost everything.

The longituninally mounted motors in those are def, a pain to work on. On those old 900s, a timing chain job is a "motor out of car" affair.

Also, Is it a stick? Saab sticks hold up way better than the autos

Rust, look at the underside of the car where EVERY PART OF the suspension ataches to the unibody. They tend to rust out leading to wheels/other parts falling off.

Basically, They are very reliable cars, There are several with over a million miles on the stock motors, but they tend to be more of a maintenance whore.

I say, if there isnt much rust, and the stuff on your list is good, get it and drive the piss outta it!! they are very fun in the snow!! But if any of the stuff on your list comes up, or there is rust around suspension mounting points then RUN, FAST!!

Hopefully The car turns out to be good, they are very enjoyable to drive and can be very reliable, it all depends on how it was treated in the past. It there are alot of maintenance records that is a definite plus.

Hope this all helps.

ciento44
09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Rust and leaking is pretty much the norm to look out for on this model. Beyond that... if it sounds ok, doesn't blow inordinate amounts of smoke, shifts, accelerates, stops, and the interior isn't filled with multiple bee hives, get it.

T-spoon
09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok, so let me see. I had an 88 900turbo with 90k miles. Let me list the things that happened in 1 year of owning it:

Turbo died.
Transmission died. (auto)
Motor died (80 PSI comp.)
Front suspension collapsed randomly on a gentle turn.
Headliner fell down.
Ignition switch failed. (had to rewire)
A piece or two of the exterior trim fell off.

I don't recall exactly what else, but it cost me roughly 6k that 1 year.

There was no rust on the car, this was down in Houston. It was driven to college, probably 25 miles a day or so. It wasn't raced or beaten on anything out of the ordinary.

I'm sure lots of Saabs have done better than that, but it being my personal experience made it rather disappointing, especially because it was in fact fun to drive and the looks grow on you.

dups90gt
09-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Im selling my 1999 2door 93S!
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Saab-1999-rare-2-door-Saab-93S-Turbo-hatchback-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ76477125
if only you weren't so far.. I'd cut you a deal..

tuner4life
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Im selling my 1999 2door 93S!
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Saab-1999-rare-2-door-Saab-93S-Turbo-hatchback-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ76477125
if only you weren't so far.. I'd cut you a deal..

Tell you what, If it was a stick, we'd be talkin.

dups90gt
09-26-2008, 01:04 AM
that's why im selling...

usp45
09-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Ok update time. After much email tag I finaly looked at it. Here's my summary, tell my what you think.

Pros:
only 2 owners
5spd all gears functioned as they should
turbo boosted, not 100% but it was pushin fo sho.
Little rust, strangely a door had the worst rust it was isolated to the door though, quarters and rockers were healthy so was undercarriage.
Interior was clean and quite livable, you know though, 20 year old leather. so not perfect.
16 valve
new expensive saab heeadlights.
all glass was uncracked or pitted
suspension was tight and fun
boost
did I mention boost
no smoking
tires good

THE BAD

200,000 miles
due for a timing chain
origional clutch (worked though)
brakes need some lovin
hood hinge is busted, prolly easy fix.
desperatly needed a tune up, running rich and rough
busted ebrake linkage (a must for fwd snow fun)
no maintenance records
conventional oil used regularly (synthetic superior for turbo apps)
Total non car guy owner :(

I offered $300 and he's sleeping on it. We'll see.

I know I could get it for sure, for $500, should I? if I have to.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm475/djUrbanTarzan/b9bitch-4.jpg

tuner4life
09-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I would pick it up for even 500.

Be prepared to do the timing chain, and you might as well do the clutch/seals at the same time since the motor has to come out for the timing chains anyways.

All the other stuff is minor and can be fixed over time.

Although, you may end up having a little bit more than your 1000 goal when all is said and done.

usp45
09-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah I think it would be at least a decent buy. A working turbo car for $300... hell yeah!
Worst case scenario it blows up und I make my money back sendin her to the crusher.

usp45
09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
She was definatly a little ruff, but that car really is fun as shit to drive. I bet a tune up would only free up lost horses as it is running rich at the moment. I do hate the white on 900s, the shape and color reminds me of various bathroom fictures.

dups90gt
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I do hate the white on 900s, the shape and color reminds me of various bathroom fictures.

ahahahaha!

tuner4life
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Dont be hatin on old white saabs..lol.

If you get it, get some rims like on mine, they look dope on a C900!!

Ryan
09-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Did you just say dope????/??????/?????

lmfao. I haven't heard somebody say that in years..lol

usp45
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I'll drop "dope" here and there. I like to use some slang from all era's. Only if I think it sounds cool, IE I don't say shit like "gee wilikers" or "I reckon thats purdy swell."

Back on topic. I'm not getting the saab, It seems like it's going to become a money pit.

tuner4life
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Back on topic. I'm not getting the saab, It seems like it's going to become a money pit.

They usually are. Good luck finding your beater. :bigthumbu

Fuelish
09-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Have never owned one, but my brother has.....was fun to drive, practical (hatchie), turbo, and seemingly reliable (at least, more reliable than the turbo Eclipse awd he had after that....)..... I'd definitely consider one, if not rusting.....

usp45
10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I bought it. $500. Meh it's cheaper than I coulda boosted the celi. Not to say I'm a saab guy now, I like my 162 way more.

It's good to have boost in my life again!