PDA

View Full Version : Emissions

Uncrck2
09-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I got a 90 celica gt in pa with header 2.5 custom exhaust and a magnaflow high flow cat and an intake will my car pass the cali smog and emission.

burnyd
09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
why are you worried about cali smog in pa?

if you have a cat on your car and considering the age it might pass, how many miles have you put on your car this year? If its under 5k your exempt in PA... if it doesnt work out then you will have to prove that you have spent over 150 dollars worth of emissions parts (cats,exhaust,plug wires etc) and still cant pass you are exempt.

BEAMS
09-23-2008, 01:45 AM
You will not pass visual with the header and intake. The rest of the exhaust is fine.

Uncrck2
09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
fuck for real cuz im thinkin of shippin it out to cali cuz im out here for college

MrWOT
09-23-2008, 09:36 AM
You're hosed unless you find a shady shop...

burnyd
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
fuck for real cuz im thinkin of shippin it out to cali cuz im out here for college

wtf is wrong with you?????? keep it registered in PA ship it to California, they cannot write you a ticket for out of state inspection stickers!!!!!

lilsticcup
09-23-2008, 03:32 PM
actually... here in cali they write you a fix it ticket and give you 30 days or a big fine and possibly losing your car

lilsticcup
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
what part of cali you in?? theres certain parts of cali that really fuck with you about the smog, like l.a., sacramento, and san diego. but usually northern cali, and some southern parts only go by numbers and do not do a visual inspection.

Colossus20v
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
If your car isnt registered in the state then it doesnt matter unless you move and are a resident there.

If your just there for school you dont have to register the car.

lilsticcup
09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
thats actually not true... if you are to stay in the state for longer than 30 days than your car has to be registered to that state.. thats what i read in the cali driver handbook

ciento44
09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
If your permanent address is in that state, yes.

If he's going to school in Cali, but permanant adress in PA, then he doesn't have to do it.

wizzards581
09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
only if all parts are carb legal yes! anyting behind the cat is fine.

Uncrck2
09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Im gonna be a resident next year so i shouldnt ship it

burnyd
09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
yes you are not thinking here...... if your car is regeristed in PA nd you live in CA there is nothing they can do........ keep your car regged in PA for as long as you can that way you do not have to worry about smog / emissions

lilsticcup
09-24-2008, 12:18 AM
well everyone has there own opinion. but i live in cali i have the california book on my shelf right now, i am trying to tell you that no matter what you tell them "im only here for 2 more days" or "i only go to school here" or even "im leaving right now" it does not matter, you have 30 days or get ready to start walking.

burnyd
09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
well everyone has there own opinion. but i live in cali i have the california book on my shelf right now, i am trying to tell you that no matter what you tell them "im only here for 2 more days" or "i only go to school here" or even "im leaving right now" it does not matter, you have 30 days or get ready to start walking.

so your telling me if you cross statelines for work everyday not from Pa but from a state bordering CA, they will tell you that... thats just not logical.. and you cannot argue geographically at that point because PA is so far away.

lilsticcup
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
no i am saying if you are forced to stay ion the state of california for longer then 30 days, you have to get your car registered. however, say you were to get a ticket in cali for an out of state license, but you only work in cali and you live in, lets say arizona, than you can send a letter to the judge explaining your situation, or go to court with a proof of address and a proof of where you work. that might work as an exception, but i am telling you, from experience, that you HAVE to have your car registered to california if you plan on staying a while... it may suck but so does california emissions and other car related laws

lilsticcup
09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
my aunt traveled here from vegas in a piece of shit kia sportage and stayed for about 3-4 months, she got a ticket probably the second week she got here stating she had to either leave california in 30 days from the date on the ticket, or she had to register her car in california in 30 days from the date on the ticket. by the time she had to go to court for the ticket she had neither of these done. so what happens?? she leaves court with a nice $300 dollar fine and yet another ticket saying she had to either leave california within 30 days of the date on the ticket or she had to register in california within 30 days on the ticket OR HER CAR WILL BE SEIZED BY THE GOVERNMENT. she was out of there in about 12 days

MrWOT
09-25-2008, 12:43 AM
He's right, but it's not strictly enforced. I knew a guy at Cal Poly who had NY plates for 3 years, never changed em. :shrug:

burnyd
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
He's right, but it's not strictly enforced. I knew a guy at Cal Poly who had NY plates for 3 years, never changed em. :shrug:

well since I do not know anything about the CA law Im not going to argue, but as of the way PA is you can only be issued a ticket for expired PA stickers!!!! I really cannot see this being an issue being that the car is not regged in CA that would get thrown out of court in a heart beat.

MrWOT
09-25-2008, 01:06 AM
It has nothing to do with the registration being out of date, it has to do that if you bring a car into cali for long term use, they make sure it's not stinking up the place basically. They make sure that noone brings in a gross polluter by registering it out of state and bringing it in for normal use.

Galcobar
09-25-2008, 04:26 AM
The idea is simple: your car spends enough time in the state, we get to regulate what your car does in the state.

Colossus20v
09-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I would check with your local AAA or DMV and see what the laws are. If you go to school there I can not understand how you would have to register your car in the state whenever your only there for a few months of the year. It all should depend on your permanet address, not your temporary address.

What if it isnt your car and its your parent's car that live in PA?

I would also check with your school Parking Authority and see if that only applies off the school grounds.

But regardless its bullshit.

Galcobar
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
The California regulations are set up to respond to location of the car, not the owner. It's a pragmatic approach: your car + their air = their regulations. They have the authority to regulate what happens within state borders. Think of it this way: your primary address is in Philadelphia, but your actions in California which affect their citizens are still under the laws of California. Same goes for your car.

Kastigir
09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a simple solution. Stop going to school in California.

Uncrck2
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
haha funny NOT ur solution is just dumb any way i think im gonna keep the celica at home and get my hands on an mr2 turbo out here

lilsticcup
09-25-2008, 11:12 PM
The California regulations are set up to respond to location of the car, not the owner. It's a pragmatic approach: your car + their air = their regulations. They have the authority to regulate what happens within state borders. Think of it this way: your primary address is in Philadelphia, but your actions in California which affect their citizens are still under the laws of California. Same goes for your car.

thank you thank you thank you... finally someone understands... everyone knows how gay the emissions are out here... well every other state is more "who cares" but you may be able to pass in new jersey or maine or something, but you may not be able to pass in california so they make you register here to make sure you passed emissions in california

Colossus20v
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Visitors whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

I understand it now. In pretty much every other state if you are not an actual resident you do not have to register your vehicle there. I knew CA was picky, but gosh, I didnt realize they were that crazy.