PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 cars you WISH Toyota would make...

Ghosty
09-20-2008, 08:58 PM
3. Vaguely utilitarian, 1.4L or under FWD vehicle w/ stock turbocharging

I think there is a new need for a Tercel/ Paseo-esque vehicle that is simply not what the Yaris Hatch / Vitz offers. Yaris is efficient and spacious, but is also bulbous and lacks a certain flair.

With a turbocharged 1.4L, you get two advantages. First, it's highly economical, high MPG. The relatively low horsepower and performance (145 horsepower or so) means it's also inexpensive to insure. But it could also be tremendously easy to modify. Badge it as a Scion if need be to get the point across.

Go to TRD or another outlet, buy a reprogrammed ECU, plug it in, unlock more boost and power. Or upgrade the turbo and see where that takes you.

Point is, parents will buy because it's cheap and economical (anyone remember SRT Neons?). Kids will enjoy because it will be fun to drive. And Toyota will like it, because it's a gateway drug to bigger and more expensive vehicles when that kid grows up and gets some $$$.

2. Subaru-inspired 4WD "Alltrac" hot-hatch for the masses

Remember back in the day when Toyotas carried the "Alltrac" badge? It was the trademarked name for Toyota's proprietary electronically locking differential, and it was an option found until 2000 on Tercels, Corollas, Camrys, Previas ... oh, and the turbocharged Celicas.

Now what is the state of the AWD system? It's only on Toyota SUVs and the Matrix (which many people are allergic to). There is a desire in the market for a cheap, 4WD vehicle, as evidenced by Subaru's success. And it just so happens Toyota has a heavy portfolio of Subaru stock. And Subaru has a lot of experience in 4WD.

But I think Subarus are priced and marketed to a specific demographic, and that demographic has more money than the Corolla demographic. So where can a person go to get a cheap, 4WD alternative?

Use a modified Corolla chassis, or better yet, develop something new. Tap into the market that needs a Yaris, but with the added advantage of 4WD. Sell the base model with an economy 1.8 or 2.0L, but keep the option there for a peaky GE head version with the same displacement (similar to the 7th gen Celica options). And as always, have TRD support.

Some people might remember the "Levin" Toybaru project that's been covered in Japanese car media. You know, the one that won't make it to U.S. shores. The one that comes with a turbocharged STi engine. I'm not a fan of it because it's just a re badged Subaru, which seems like a weak overall effort and I doubt the car will stand out.

1. A reincarnation of the 2000GT.

The first highly sought-after Japanese performance car. The genesis of the entire sport line.

I would envision this car as light, powerful and inexpensive. Priced to sell. This would fill a niche in the market... less expensive than a S2000, more powerful than a Miata. It will come in the form of a hatchback, sexy and sleek. Powered by an inline six, just like the original. RWD, of course. VVT, Direct injection, Six speed, LSD standard. No traction control (keeps the cost down, and makes for a "pure" experience). Naturally aspirated (better for insurance). Ubiquitous support from Toyota Racing Development for those wanting to push the envelope.

So that's my list. Notice that I didn't include a new Celica, MR2, or Supra. The reason being that Toyota is so out of the picture in regards to performance, only interested in very utilitarian vehicles that generate maximum profit, that I doubt it would know where to start with these cars, and any effort would spoil the entire line. Remember the V35/ G35 / Skyline? Yeah. We wouldn't want that happening to our Supra, would we?

Hiko
09-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I doubt it would know where to start with these cars, and any effort would spoil the entire line.

Toyota is participating in F1, so they have the engineering capability to take on making great cars. Look at the IS-F, it's not for a bad first attempt in quite a while. And while it didn't do too good in its first race, the race version of the LF-A is still out there, so give them some credit.

3. A cheap lightweight RWD car that has an I4 or V6. Maybe badged a scion, but with a chassis engineered by Toyota (not Subaru).

2. MR2 made with the same philosophy as the MKII. A small profit margin, Ferrari like looks, great handling, and a modifiable engine with ~260-300hp out of the box.

1. MR2. Yes, it really does take the first two spots in my book. The MKII was quite possibly the coolest car Toyota ever made.

Ryan
09-20-2008, 10:11 PM
1. a cheap rwd coupe or hatch with an inline 4 or 6. it would need to be pretty basic but modifiable and have a solid bottom end

2. an awd coupe or hatch... with similar looks to the st185 and be affordable to the masses

3. another sw20.....

Fuelish
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
3. A reincarnation of the 2000GT.

The first highly sought-after Japanese performance car. The genesis of the entire sport line.

2. A reincarnation of the 2000GT.

1. A reincarnation of the 2000GT.

That'd about do it ;) :cool:

Kastigir
09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
The Supra needs to come back. A new Celica, AWD, available in coupe and hatchback form. A full electric car like the Chevy Volt...with much better styling.

cms-gt4
09-21-2008, 02:23 AM
I would like to see a compact performance hybrid.

Using the same concept as the Volta, use a gas engine as just a generator and the car itself is motor driven. Make it about the size of a Y2k celica and under 3klbs. It does not have to be super car fast, but if they could get a sub 5sec 0-60 and maybe a ~13sec 1/4 that would be a fun little car to have.

85gtsblackman
09-21-2008, 06:33 AM
an updated version of my gts

usp45
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
3rd. TT V8 Supra with rear 6 spd transaxle. I'd want it to look like a SC400 front, with
a MKIV supra ass, and widebody sexyness too.

2nd. TT V8 Mr2. Ripoff Koenigsegg CCR styling.

1st. All-trac Celica with 2 engine options (2.0l I4 16v turbo) and (3.0l v6 24v turbo)
Styling from 4th 5th and 6th gens combined. Pop ups for sure, like low pro sleepy
style.

usp45
09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
4th. Modern 2dr rear wheel drive corola with a 3zz-gte. AE86 tribute styling.

Ghosty
09-21-2008, 05:48 PM
4th. Modern 2dr rear wheel drive corola with a 3zz-gte. AE86 tribute styling.

I like this idea a lot.

If BMW can make a profit selling a RWD I4, I see no reason why Toyota couldn't do the same. I'm not buying the argument that only FWD cars can have a wide profit margin.

Badge it as a Scion if need be -- whatever -- but I think Toyota tackled the problem with the idea of securing a loyal, niche market, as opposed to just churning out profit margin after profit margin, more long-range success could be had.

Ghosty
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Toyota is participating in F1, so they have the engineering capability to take on making great cars. Look at the IS-F, it's not for a bad first attempt in quite a while. And while it didn't do too good in its first race, the race version of the LF-A is still out there, so give them some credit.

I see your point, but it's hard to take a manufacturer honestly that pours so much money into F1, but fails to deliver a sports car. It just seems like the F1 team is more of a flashy billboard than an actual investment to motorsports and performance vehicles. Not to say they haven't enjoyed recent success, but some bite with the bark would be nice.

I didn't know that the LF-A was still out there. I had a lot of faith in the vehicle. It brought back memories of the LeMans effort, the GT-One (A Toyota Team Europe car, like so many of the successful racing Toyotas and the F1 team).

But you know what -- the LF-A is probably the best hope for a Supra reincarnation. If Toyota wanted to, I could see them taking the LF-A, or even the current SC430, and molding it into a Supra.

The only thing that concerns me about something like that is you're playing this sort of arms race where every new generation has to be bigger, bigger, bigger. The spirit of the Supra is the inline 6, 3.0L, same as it was in the MKIV and MKIII. At least that's how I view the car. A production LF-A might have a 4.8L V8, or even a 5.0L V10.

3. A cheap lightweight RWD car that has an I4 or V6. Maybe badged a scion, but with a chassis engineered by Toyota (not Subaru).

2. MR2 made with the same philosophy as the MKII. A small profit margin, Ferrari like looks, great handling, and a modifiable engine with ~260-300hp out of the box.

1. MR2. Yes, it really does take the first two spots in my book. The MKII was quite possibly the coolest car Toyota ever made.

A MR2 wouldn't even be that expensive to make. It's just a reversed FWD system! And that makes a MR car lightweight, too.

Was the MRS not that good a seller or something? Was it because of the lack of trunk space that Toyota thought it wouldn't make for a good utilitarian people-mover, or did it not have that good a profit margin?

hobbie2k
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
3. A GT-R competitor (ie 2000GT).
2. A 350Z competitor (ie Supra)
1. A New Silvia competitor (ie RWD Celica)

Ghosty
09-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I always thought a new 2000GT would be a better S2000 competitor because of the displacement and size, even though the S2000 is a roadster and the 2000GT was a touring car. I think a 2.5L I6 turbo like the 1JZ would make a nice power plant.

xlee
09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
3. remake the 89 camry versions, because its one of the toughest longest lasting cars out there.
2. bring all toyotas we didnt get from euro and jap to us
1. bring the designers of the mk2 mr2 and the 93-99 supra engineers out of retirement to design us the next gen sports cars.

tuner4life
09-22-2008, 03:40 AM
1. Mk. V SupraTT - self explanatory

2. AE09 - RWD 50/50 weight dist. Celica GTS motor??

3. 8th gen Celica - RWD or All Trac models, hehe.

VikingJZ
09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
FJ40 reincarnation--with modern style but same functionality.....and a four banger turbo diesel.

First gen reincarnation--everyone else is bringing their icon cars back with retro styling...do it with the Celica.

VikingJZ
09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
FJ40 reincarnation--with modern style but same functionality.....and a four banger turbo diesel.

First gen reincarnation--everyone else is bringing their icon cars back with retro styling...do it with the Celica.

$3000 car with Tercel badge--No AC, no ABS, no power steering...or really anything. Three cyl engine

ciento44
09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I want BMW's lineup, with manual transmissions, at half the price, with Japanese styling and interiors.

Done.

Ghosty
09-23-2008, 12:11 AM
A 4cyl diesel would be a wise choice (*cough* TDI *cough*), especially if it were made for economy.

... however it would be nice if Toyota took a really big, torquey, all-aluminum diesel and crammed it into a small frame and called it a sports car. THAT would be a HELL of a car.