PDA

View Full Version : Cheap paint job or leave the old?

T-spoon
09-19-2008, 03:42 AM
So, the roof of the alltrac has some nice oxidation and the clear coat and paint have chipped away along the bottom edges of the windows. Additionally there are some scratches here and there (four brand new ones :madfawk: ). Question is, am I better off leaving it this way for a long time until I can maybe afford a decent repaint (factory color), or is it worth getting a cheap Maaco job? I have heard their cheap jobs don't prep well, just basically spray on top of what is there.. is that true? Additionally, do they clearcoat on the cheap jobs or would I be looking at it coming off and looking like crap after a year or two?

Slider
09-19-2008, 04:12 AM
People had success with Maaco paint jobs. You just have to do the prep work yourself if you want it to last. A single stage paint job will look good too but it won't last as long as a base coat/clear coat paint job. But it is cheaper, if you just need it to look good for a few years you can just get a single stage done for cheaper, it will start fading eventually but that's down the road just like toyota single stage paint.

Colossus20v
09-19-2008, 04:56 AM
I agree with Slider. I know people who have used maaco and basically its just a spray on. If you have the time I would prep the car myself and then just take it there to paint. You may also be able to supply the paint or something. I would check with them though and see if they can do a good job. But with the scratches and oxidation I would just prep it and have them spray the entire car.

T-spoon
09-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Prepping would be an issue for me, can't exactly do it in the parking lot ;)

burnyd
09-19-2008, 05:19 AM
save for a jz swap in your supra.

T-spoon
09-19-2008, 06:05 AM
save for a jz swap in your supra.

Heh, that's the idea, hence thinking about a cheeappp job. I don't plan any mods to the 'trac.

ST185
09-19-2008, 06:44 AM
been thinking about taking my car to maaco for a paint job. But everybody's opinion is always 50/50 some say its good others say its fucking gay.

glenn
09-19-2008, 06:56 AM
well the rednecks at my work say there great, the car guys that i hang out with say they blow but i tend to believe the car guys lol of course most of them want your money too....

ST185
09-19-2008, 07:03 AM
of course most of them want your money too....
True That. But the only reason I haven't wanted to paint my ceilca is cause I want to the have the RC/CS Hood and Bumper first. No use in buying them later and having to paint it again

Galcobar
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Prior owner of my car had Maaco repaint it shortly before I purchased it, and she got the good package (I have the receipt).

Few years later, the paint looks like crap. Not simply because of non-existent prep, or because of random overspray (I found it inside the engine bay, from below, among other places), paint runs, or the fact the car was sprayed with everything still on it (can you say paint lines around the lights?). The paint itself died quite quickly, despite my taking car of it. It looked no better than a red Toyota of similar age with original paint.

It's also continued to cause problems for paint adhesion when I paid for a good quality, colour-and-clear repaint. While the shop I took it to got rid of all the lines, drips and other physical problems Maaco left, I could not afford to strip it down. If a rock manages to chip the paint, the outer layer will stay intact while the Maaco layer spiderwebs and lifts off -- in turn damaging the top coat.

T-spoon
09-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Prior owner of my car had Maaco repaint it shortly before I purchased it, and she got the good package (I have the receipt).

Few years later, the paint looks like crap. Not simply because of non-existent prep, or because of random overspray (I found it inside the engine bay, from below, among other places), paint runs, or the fact the car was sprayed with everything still on it (can you say paint lines around the lights?). The paint itself died quite quickly, despite my taking car of it. It looked no better than a red Toyota of similar age with original paint.

It's also continued to cause problems for paint adhesion when I paid for a good quality, colour-and-clear repaint. While the shop I took it to got rid of all the lines, drips and other physical problems Maaco left, I could not afford to strip it down. If a rock manages to chip the paint, the outer layer will stay intact while the Maaco layer spiderwebs and lifts off -- in turn damaging the top coat.

Ew. :thumbsdow Ok.. so I think I'll try to touch-up the scratches and such and maybe use a polisher from the other thread and see how it goes.

T-spoon
09-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Hurray for globby yucky touch-up paint. I think it looks like poo, but eh, better than just leaving stuff exposed. I went ahead and did the big scratches and several other little dings. I'll see how it looks once cleaned up. Though uh, with the weather up here right now not sure what difference that'll make. Hah.