PDA

View Full Version : any harm in running the ECT set on "power" all the time? on a 92 GT

gentlejax
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Long story short...this was wifes car ...well taken care of with 87K on it now....I got her a RAV4 so I drive the Celica now...

I notice it runs better with the ECT button in the power mode...

I guess it has to do with the computer controlling the shift...

now I usually felt that putting shift kits and other things like that in slushboxes actually was better for the internal parts as it creates less wear and tear....

now.....will it cause any harm keeping this button in the POWER mode all the time ? I dont think in the 2 years we have had it, my wife ever used it...

I have been using it for a week....car is like a go kart...

I just need to know if I should or shouldnt be driving like that all the time with it in POWER MODE

goretro77
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the ECT is like the same ECT button found in my '96 4Runner, with it ON the shift point is higher in the powerband, for towing, etc..

With it turned OFF (normal) the shift point is lower for better fuel economy.

tuner4life
09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
It wont hurt anything, but it will shift rougher and higher in the rev range with it on.

Idk about toyotas, but on the GF's Infiniti G20 the power light on the ECT switch will automatically come on at WOT indicating that the car is in power mode.

david in germany
09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
It will harm your gas mileage :)

Fuelish
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
It will harm your gas mileage :) I can vouch for that :(

ccsouls
09-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I ran with mine on continuously for 4 years before the swap and never had a single issue.

Have fun, that is why the button is there. Power=Boy setting; Normal=Girl setting.

Simonhla
09-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Haha, some funny posts but seriously.......

I used to have fun driving with the ECT power button on, in fact still do but at the end of the day it just gives you slightly better acceleration. If you're on the freeway there is no gain to it. You will notice the difference in your gas mileage. My wife drove that car for 15 years like a granny and didn't even know it had an ECT button. It was the first thing I spotted.....my eyes gravitated to the one thing that said POWER. That's men for ya!

gentlejax
09-19-2008, 02:48 AM
hey its an auto...might as well use it while in town...highway its not really needed...

I just didnt want to blow it up(the tranny) .....

thanks

Murgatroy
09-19-2008, 02:58 AM
The power setting will decrease fuel economy, but it will increase the longevity of your transmission.

Little known fact, shift kits are good for your transmission.

Here is why:

From the factory your automatic transmission is set to shift as smoothly and sedately as possible. This increases wear on your clutches. This is nice for grandma, the wife and so forth. However, it causes the transmission to run hotter, and the clutches burn out faster as it is taking longer to shift.

When you put a shift kit in, or go to the 'power' mode if so equipped, your transmission shifts at a higher engine rev, it also shifts faster. This faster shifting decreases wear on your clutches and increases the life of your transmission.

gentlejax
09-19-2008, 03:01 AM
thats what I said or thought in my post and I was hoping it was so with this car....more reason to use it and take a small hit on the mpg....its not really doing bad as it is so I am going to carry on with it in power mode...

thanks for adding that part as I knew that was so for other trannies...most people dont understand that...